Boston Job Description Sample
UI Software Architect
UI Software Architect– Web Application Engineering
Software Engineering at HMH is focused on building fantastic software to meet the challenges
facing teachers and learners. Enabling and supporting a wide range of next generation learning
experiences. We design, and build custom applications and services used by millions. We are
creating teams full of innovative, eager software professionals to build the products that will
transform our industry.
What you will work on:
We are creating new teams full of innovative, eager software engineers to build the products
that will transform ed-tech industry. You will work with a team of talented and experienced
engineers and designers to help bring a new product to market and ensure that our customers
are delighted by what we create. You will be part team helping build our brand new learning
platform and education applications.
You will work on architecting and developing dynamic web applications using modern client-side
and web testing frameworks. You’ll also be diving deep into the backend; integrating with other
services and orchestrating them, working with data stores, developing RESTful APIs and taking
charge of their operational excellence in dev-ops environment. You will collaborate with UX
designers and obsess on how to make our user workflows as simple and seamless as possible.
The user experience is paramount in a product like ours. Your work will be used by learners and
teachers all around the globe and your attention to detail will wow them with how much easier
it makes their learning.
What we are looking for:
The User Interface (UI) Software Architect is responsible for the design and implementation of
scalable, highly usable and performant UI. A solid user experience is critical for adding
unquestionable value to end-users and to wide product adoption. In this role, you will be directly
involved in driving technical direction, architecting the design of the solution, the delivery of
commercial and ready to launch products.
An undergraduate degree in computer science, software engineering or a related field.
15+ years of software development experience with an emphasis on UI application
development and API design
Proven ability to analyze business requirements, then propose and/or evaluate
corresponding technical solutions
Objected oriented, functional, or concurrency-oriented programming experience
Extensive hands-on expertise in modern front-end development using one or more of the
following: React, Angular, Redux, Unity
Extensive hands-on involvement in user experience (UX) design
Proven ability to analyze and document business requirements and corresponding technical
Proven ability to architect, design and implement complex software requirements
Following competencies would be an asset:
o Working experience with Kafka/Kinesis messaging framework as well as Spark, and
o Familiarity with cloud environments like AWS
Experience building web apps using modern dev-ops tools.
Ability to debug complex web applications and solve performance issues.
Experience working with a team on a large project, prior experience shipping production
This is an exciting position for a candidate that would like to deepen their systems knowledge and gain experience in the Ops side of DevOps. This engineering role is within the Performance team and will have a strong focus on building out automation capabilities for benchmarking/performance profiling of services. Additionally, the candidate would help with identifying and troubleshooting application performance problems in the production environment. The position provides exposure to many of the core systems and functions within the business and will directly contribute to the success of the team.
- Work with engineering team to design and build out ephemeral load testing environments in AWS
- Integrate this testing platform into CI/CD pipelines
- Assist with troubleshooting performance issues in production
- Build out dashboards that provide visibility into application performance metrics
- Work collaboratively within IT and various business units across the firm
- Learn about systems performance tuning across various platforms, e.g. AWS, ESX
- Three to five years of experience in a software development role; asset management industry experience a plus.
- Working knowledge of C# or Python.
- Experience with benchmarking workloads and performance tuning.
- Some experience with scripting: bash, powershell, etc.
- Working knowledge of Linux and docker a plus.
- Exposure to Agile software methodology and CI/CD tools and practices
- Knowledge of modern software design principles, concepts, and practices
- Understanding of database management environments.
- Working experience with cloud providers like AWS, Azure, or GCP a plus.
- Must be detail oriented with outstanding analytical and problem solving skills
Senior Devops Engineer
This is with a venture-backed company based in Boston with the mission of bringing science to the art of retail. We have built a SaaS cloud-based predictive platform that provides actionable insights to retailers by understanding how their customers choose. We have built an experienced team of data scientists and retail experts, and a development team that has collectively won some of the most prestigious hackathons in the US. We are looking for smart, hardworking, and fun colleagues ready to join us for the ride of their career.
About the Job
We are focused on building something which solves a big problem in a way never done before while delivering an exceptional customer experience. As a part of the DevOps Automation Team, you will be responsible for designing, implementing and maintaining automation processes needed to build and deploy software components in AWS / GCP using a standard CI/CD model. Automating everything will be your passion.
You will be working in a dynamic environment within a well-established DevOps Team using exciting technologies and modern practices (Cloud, Docker, CI/CD, Immutable Infrastructures, Zero Downtime Deployments, Serverless). You will be also supporting incident resolutions as L3 support and influencing other teams to adopt the DevOps culture.
Sr. Software Engineer - (Node.Js)
The Access Manager Engineering team is looking for experienced, smart, and adaptable people to join the engineering team. This individual must exhibit independent creativity, a curiosity to research new technologies and methodologies, and a pervasive desire to dig into complex technical issues while respecting timelines and team commitments. This position, reporting to the Lead Software Engineer, will primarily focus on developing the Access Manager product – McGraw-Hill Education’s product licensing and bulk rostering tool.
What You’ll Do:
- Use your interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with product sponsors and senior leadership in engineering and business
- Analyze business requirements and identify possible gaps, ambiguities, missing scenarios, etc.
- Design and implement sound engineering solutions that meet the business need
- Work with the team to solve problems quickly and collaboratively
- Present a passion for building high-quality, user-friendly, scalable, reusable web components
- Angular 7
- Docker, ECS
- You have demonstrated software delivery experience with a focus on back-end engineering
- 3+ years working with languages such as Node.js, Java, PHP, or Go
- You can work in a fast-paced software release environment, where you deliver software for a system with millions of users
- You can collaborate with other teams in different locations distributed across the globe
- You are excited about building scalable applications, and crafting intuitive and responsive user interfaces so our users can get the most out of our products
- RESTful Web Services (experience producing and consuming REST services)
- Relational database design concepts (MySQL)
- Application Testing (unit, integration, performance, end to end)
- Responsive Web Design/Development
- Code Quality and Code Review
- Cloud Technologies (preferably Amazon Web Services – ECS, RDS, SQS, S3)
- Build/deploy tools (CircleCI, Grunt/Gulp, npm)
- Source/Version control systems (Git)
- Strong understanding of UI and UX
- Ruby and/or Python
Senior Software Engineer (Node.Js)
Senior Software Engineer (Node.JS)U.S. Citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor at this time. No Corp to Corp.
This role is with a Syrinx Ed Tech partner
Apply direct to: email@example.com
12+ Month Contract with Possible Extension (Client will convert full time, if desired)
The Senior Software Engineer is a trusted senior-level technologist who is a strong contributor
to team goals and technical vision. In this role, you will help us achieve ambitious product
development goals that ensure proper interoperability between application and platform
services and that they are built for scale. You will join a team that own high-traffic APIs that
support authoring and delivery of courses.
•7+ years professional experience in web software engineering
•Strong Experience with Node.JS – high-traffic applications preferred
•Strong experience with both traditional relational databases (PostgreSQL, MYSQL, MSSQL,
Oracle, etc.), and NOSQL databases (DynamoDB, MongoDB, Couchbase, etc.)
Angular experience preferred.
•Experience with RESTful API design and implementation, best practices in web security,
cross-browser compatibility issues
•Experience with AWS services
• Experience with Docker or other containerization technologies
• Experience with orchestration of CI/CD pipelines
•Experience with unit testing frameworks and strategies
We are looking for an Analyst to work in in collaboration with the Research, Portfolio Management and Data teams to develop and implement new models, architect solutions and build powerful analytic tools. This is an exceptional opportunity to help build out alpha, risk and portfolio analysis systems at Acadian as part of an entrepreneurial team. The successful candidate will be integral to developing the platform and infrastructure for quantitative models used in Acadian’s equity products. As a member of the investment team, this person will closely collaborate with PMs, quantitative researchers and integration analysts.
- Build systems to gather, cleanse and integrate data from various sources for research and modelling needs.
- Implement, validate and enhance Acadian’s data platform and model infrastructure.
- Build, test and enhance new forecast models.
- Apply advanced algorithms from the field of quantitative finance, computational science, etc. to assist in the research of economic and financial variables.
- Work with quantitative portfolio managers to build tools and software libraries to advance analytics platforms using machine learning techniques.
- 1-2 years of experience as a quantitative developer preferably for an investment firm.
- Bachelor’s degree with an outstanding academic record in a technical field such as mathematics, science, machine learning or engineering; Master’s degree or CFA preferred.
- Hands on development experience with at least two of the following Python (Numpy, Scipy, Pandas), Spark, Matlab, SQL, ETL, Java, Scala, C++/C# or R.
- Familiar with AWS technologies is a plus.
- Familiar with financial data series, building and optimizing database structures and operating data delivery platforms.
- Advanced analytic skills and the ability to clearly articulate the approach, process and results in verbal, graphical and written form.
- Creativity, enthusiasm, collegiality and the ability to excel in a self-starting environment.
- Drive and humility to deliver on high value projects and roll up your sleeves attitude.
Oracle Database Administrator
- Administration of the Oracle database that supports that Forrester application
- Provide ongoing support for TLO staff and other users of the Forrester application; including troubleshooting end user hardware/software issues and connectivity issues
- Consult with TLO staff to design and implement enhancements to existing database tables/views, PL/SQL code and reports
- Work with TLO staff and external vendors on upgrades and bug fixes as required
- Create and provide information and reports to the Director and other TLO staff as requested
- Work closely with the external vendor, Project Manager, and TLO IT and Website Manager to assist in the upgrade to a new IP database
- Ensure cost effective management of IT related costs
- Serve as a liaison for the TLO to: IT consultants, vendors and central IT resources
- Establish, manage and maintain standards and systems for security of data in the TLO
- Prepare system and user documentation as needed
- 2-3 years of experience in Oracle database administration
- 5-6 years of experience with Oracle database development (SQL and PL/SQL)
- Experience with Tableau Desktop
- Familiarity with document management platforms
- Experience with Linux and/or Unix operating systems
- Experience with Microsoft Windows (7/10) desktop operating systems
- Excellent problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and to exercise good judgment and discretion in the performance of all work assignments
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills that reflect courtesy, diplomacy, and a collaborative approach to develop and maintain effective working relationships with end users and customers of the TLO
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; be able to explain the work in plain language to management with no data experience
The technology choices we’re standardizing on are:
Native mobile applications on Android – mobile-first wherever it makes sense
Responsive client applications built on React, integrating mapping and other 3rd party services
Big Data technologies like Hadoop, Cassandra, Apache Spark, Clojure, Haskell, machine learning, to make informed business decisions
Modern continuous integration and deployment, using technologies including Concourse, Docker, and BOSH
Design, implement, deliver, and maintain Zipcar’s next generation mobile platform
Influence architecture and development of our new platform with your experience and/or wisdom
Collaborate closely with product designers, product managers, and quality engineers to turn requirements and design documents into elegant code and delightful user experience
Use modern tooling for rapid development, integrated testing, and high performance
Mentor junior engineers, conduct insightful code reviews
Strive for continuous improvement of the Zipcar member experience and internal processes
The Ideal Candidate Has:
Breadth and depth of skill to build scalable mobile apps (with similar knowledge as it applies to backend supporting capabilities) • Experience in technologies including
Mobile development environments – both Android
Web services written in Java and/or Ruby targeting support of mobile devices
An obsession with delivering outstanding customer experience
An ability to look at an end-to-end problem, break it down, and know how to attack it
Ability to apply test driven and pair-programming techniques to mobile development
Desire to learn new tools, frameworks, languages
Experience with various software lifecycle tools such as Git, JIRA, etc.
Functional understanding of Agile practices and how to apply them
Please apply directly to firstname.lastname@example.org!!!
Principal React Developer
- Microservice architecture using RabbitMQ for internal communication, with services mainly written for the JDK (Java/Groovy/Kotlin) and Ruby
- Native mobile applications on Android and iOS
- Responsive client applications built on ReactJS, Redux, and TypeScript
- CMS using Drupal
- Modern continuous integration and deployment, using technologies including Concourse, Docker, and BOSH
- Big Data technologies like Hadoop, Cassandra, Apache Spark, machine learning, to make informed business decisions
- Design, implement, deliver, and maintain applications and features for Zipcar members, customer support, and administrators
- Work closely with product designers, product managers and quality engineers to turn requirements and design documents into elegant code and delightful user experience
- Use modern tooling for iterative and rapid development, integrated testing, and high performance
- Mentor junior engineers, contribute to architecture decisions, conduct insightful code reviews
- Strive for continuous improvement of the Zipcar member experience
- Ability to balance aggressive delivery schedules with maintainable quality code
- Require minimal supervision and can help a team drive a project to completion
- Own changes to be made from definition to support in production
- Experience with various software lifecycle tools such as Git and JIRA
- Have experience with TDD or TAD (Test Accompanied Development), developer-written automated testing and all things that lead to confidence in our code in a Continuous Delivery infrastructure.
- 3 to 8 years experience and skill in technologies including
- Web services written in Java
- Understanding of microservice architectures and messaging systems (e.g. RabbitMQ), REST and other concepts in API architecture
- Service-oriented architectures and messaging systems (e.g. RabbitMQ)
- Databases (relational and document)Functional, unit, and integration testing
- Ability (and willingness) to work full stack but have strength in Java-based APIs and services
- Databases (relational and document)
- Instrumentation of an app or service for alerting and monitoring (New Relic)
- Functional, unit, integration and performance testing
- Shipped robust, high-performance, high-scalability applications to production
- Experience with a 24/7 production environment
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Clear verbal and written communication; demonstrated ability to collaborate cross-functionally and with peers from a variety of disciplines
- Has breadth and depth of skill to build scalable applications
- Is dedicated to delivering outstanding customer experience
- Ensures they are a critical part of the success of the team
- Is passionionate about learning new tools, frameworks, languages
- Enjoys both teaching and learning from others
- Approaches differences in opinion through inquisition and concensus building
- Is more concerned with doing the right thing than being right.
- Acts courageously and does the right thing, even when it's hard to do
- Commited to Zipcar’s ideals of sustainable resource sharing and urban mobility
We’re looking for a strong front-end developer to modernize two of our critical platforms. The successful candidate will work directly with our business partners and other software engineers within our team. The ideal candidate will be a thought leader that helps us architect and build best of breed user experiences. S/he will also be responsible for creating innovative solutions and to help improve the usability of our critical websites.
• Create a responsive web user experiences that render efficiently across multiple channels (web, mobile, etc.)
• Consult with our business partners and recommend solutions to usability issues
• Develop functional specifications
• Create mockups/prototypes
• CSS creation
• Interface with back-end engineers
• Design, develop and implement changes to application software components and/or interfaces • Participate in our code review process
• Formulate and execute unit test plans for software changes
• Create and maintain application technical documentation Knowledge and Experience
• Knowledge and experience normally acquired through, or equivalent to, the completion of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
• A minimum of 3-5 years of developing robust, responsive web applications
• Working knowledge of SQL Server
• Any experience with the following skills are considered a plus:
- Selenium, Jasmine, Test/behavior driven development
- Sitecore CMS
- Experience with Visual Studio, the .NET Framework and C#.
- Cloud technologies such as Microsoft Azure or Amazon AWS
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!