Accountant Cost Job Description Sample
Cost accountants are flexible, highly motivated and analytical with strong communication skills and a drive for continuous improvement. As a Cost Accountant, you will manage the core accounting functions within your manufacturing plant. You will have the opportunity to work with co-workers across the Finance organization to drive Finance initiatives. You will also be on site in the manufacturing facility where our products are produced and enjoy influencing the process and direction of the plant, sharing your ideas and creating opportunities to improve both operational and financial performance.
- Drive accounting processes within the plant to ensure accurate books and records and compliance to key control requirements including Sarabanes Oxley.
- Forecasting, analyzing and reporting the Manufacturing plant performance to James Hardie leadership teams.
- Identifying, analyzing, leading and implementing process/cost improvements in both the Financial and Operational parts of our business with the appropriate involvement of Finance and Operational partners.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and subject matter expertise for your area of responsibility
- BS/BA in Accounting, Finance or a related field
- 1-7 years standard cost accounting experience in a manufacturing setting
- Demonstrated experience with ERP systems software
- CPA, Completion of CPA Exam or CMA
- Manufacturing experience including standard costing, material, labor and overhead variance analysis
- General accounting knowledge in both GAAP and Sarbanes Oxley, strong Microsoft Office capability and proficiency in ERP systems (SAP preferred)
- Demonstrated experience in process improvements and cost savings plans
- Strong organizational and communications skills with demonstrated ability to convey ideas to a diverse audience (Finance and Operational Partners)
- Cost Accounting
- Standard Costing
- Plant accounting
Visa Candidate Considered – No
Base salary – DOE
Full-time Benefits – full
Relocation Assistance Available –Possible for ideal candidate
Commission Compensation – No
Bonus Eligible – No
Overtime Eligible - No
Interview Travel Reimbursed – Yes
Project Accountant / Cost Control Manager
- Participates in and directs the business’s commercial decision-making process; including but not limited to land acquisition, budget estimates, selection of main contractors, creation of contract strategies, packages buyout, and close out and completion.
- Ensures that the company’s contractual position is secure and maximizes the gross profit of the projects.
- Produces procurement and cost control strategy;
- Continually monitors project status both in terms progress and expenditure;
- Prepares and presents monthly cumulative and cost forecasts;
- Supports the resolving of any claims, potential claims, delays, liens, variations etc.;
- Understands the buyout process and advises on the commercial implications of various work packages;
- Supports cost projection of the projects to handle the project cash-flow;
- Generates and maintains cost management related reports;
- Understands the projects’ contractual obligations; supports, reviews, and comments on terms and conditions, as well as commercial requirements;
- Understands the principles of the design, construction, schedule, and procurement programs & as built/current schedule and monitors against the contract schedule;
- Tracks the project cost status and provides necessary updates to the company management.
- Construction related Bachelor’s or Master’s degree;
Senior Cost Accountant
- Manage standard inventory costs
- Assist in Annual review of labor and overhead rates.
- Analyze and explain manufacturing variances including purchase price variance, work order variance (material, labor and overhead variances), and absorption. Work with Operations to make necessary corrections
- Work with team to estimate costs for new products
- Perform revenue, cost and gross margin analysis by customer and product line.
- Perform monthly overhead allocation.
- Perform month end reconciliations/analysis and journal entries
- Perform Cost Modeling as required for changes in manufacturing lines
- Prepare Operational Metrics – Inventory turns, Units per Labor Hour, Freight Trends, Spoilage Analysis, etc.
- Make recommendations for process improvements and enhancements to current policies and procedures.
- Work cooperatively with Co-Workers, Managers and Plant Personnel.
- Bachelors’ degree in accounting, business or similar discipline
- CPA, CMA, or MBA a plus.
- 3-5 years of Cost Accounting work experience including variance tracking and analysis, establishing new standard costs within a manufacturing environment with large number of SKUs.
- 3 plus years of work experience using ERP systems such as SAP and MS Dynamics X
The Cost Accountant, Operations Finance role provides Financial and Accounting support for the Instrument Operations organization. This will include developing, interpreting and implementing financial concepts for financial planning and control; supporting the Company’s annual budget process, including department spending, manufacturing variances, inventory, capital, and budget allocations; and performing financial analysis as needed to support and guide business decisions. This is an individual contributor role which offers development and growth opportunities for the right candidate.
Essential job responsibilities
- Responsible for PPV detailed reporting, supporting the BST meetings associated with Engineering Projects and partnering with the Sourcing and Cost to Win management teams to assist in PPV tracking and analysis.
- Supports the Company’s annual budget and quarterly forecasting processes, including Headcount, Spending, Manufacturing Variances, Capital expenditures Inventory.
- Assists in Inventory Management activities including but not limited to Excess and Obsolete analysis, performing cycle count audits and preparing monthly Inventory reporting analysis.
- Supports the close process and the preparation of the Ops Package as well as the monthly Finance Reporting Package.
- Supports the costing of new parts and products as well as other Standard Costing activities as required.
- Responsible for the reviewing, monitoring understanding of work order variances.
- Keeps abreast of the basic requirements for compliance in own area of work and complies with those requirements. Participates as required in training on regulatory issues affecting own area of work. Brings regulatory compliance questions/issues to the attention of management.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or Finance plus 3 to 5 years of related experience, or equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Understanding of cost accounting principles including standard costing and inventory management is required
- Financial Planning & Analysis experience is preferred but not required
- Strong Microsoft Excel Skills required
Knowledge, skills abilities
- Demonstrated ability to perform detail-oriented work.
- Effective analytical, quantitative, and skills.
- Effective oral and written communications skills.
- Effective organization and planning skills.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of accuracy with strong attention to detail.
Seniority Level- Associate
Management Experience Required- No
Minimum Education- Bachelor's Degree
Willingness to Travel- Never
Title: Cost Accountant We are seeking an experienced and exceptional Cost Accountant with experience in Manufacturing and/or engineering experience!
- Identify Cost drivers and suggest Cost improvements.
- Develop labor and overhead rates, review material Costs for annual revisions.
- Review and analyze cost information to explain cost variances.
- Coordinate physical inventory counts and cycle counts and investigate cycle counting variances and resolve issues.
- Update standard costs in the bill of materials.
- Perform accounting for inventory, fixed assets, and working progress (WIP)
- Provide manufacturing variance and trend analysis.
- Review standard and actual costs for inaccuracies.
- Validate the cost of goods sold as part of the month-end close.
- Accumulate and apply overhead costs as required by generally accepted accounting principles.
- Work with the materials review board to locate and dispose of obsolete inventory.
- Calculate cost analysis and conduct ongoing process constraint analyses.
- Provide the following reports: breakeven points by products; work centers and factories; and margins by product.
- Provide reporting on periodic variances and their causes, focusing in particular on spending variances and in addition to analyzing capital budgeting requests.
- Perform cost accumulation tasks and Month End Close Activities.
- Will be required to participate in Audits.
- Some Travel may be required.
- All other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years minimum of Cost accounting experience.
- Manufacturing experience: Required
- Bachelor degree in Accounting
- Proficiency with MS-Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access).
- Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and work well under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in a team environment.
Job Type: Full-time
Johnson Electric (JE) is excited to announce that we are now recruiting for a Cost Accountant for our Vandalia, OH location. The purpose of this position is to provide and interpret financial information to the leadership and management team of the organization. The Cost Accountant coordinates compliance with variance analysis, standard costing, budgeting and forecasting, for North American entities / companies and Johnson Electric HQ.
This function is critical to effective communication within the Vandalia facility of all cost and cost driver information. In addition, it may be necessary to communicate between North America and Hong Kong, and between North America and Europe. The Cost Accountant must understand the Operations and Functional aspects of the business as well as the Accounting processes and procedures.
- Be the "right-hand" of the IPG finance and business team, the Vandalia Site Manager, and the IPG Controller in ensuring that operations and BU management are provided with critical, pertinent, timely, accurate, and actionable information, used to run the business and mitigate risk
- Standard Costing- Ensure BOM and routing audits take place per standard operating procedures. Test standards and understand variances. Calculate direct labor and overhead standards annually in accordance with direction, but always questioning assumptions to ensure standards are business appropriate. Update standards, advise on costs to decision makers
- Standard Costing- Work with multiple systems (Movex / Oracle) and be able to set standards in accordance with Global direction. Importantly, be able to communicate the basis and drivers of those standards to non financial management
- Assist project management in developing accurate discounted cash flow models to support request for quotes
- Take on projects or initiatives as required by NA Finance with regard to topics or processes etc and improve, standardize, ensure compliance to SOP etc. This may involve regional responsibilities
- Assist in the coordination of the budget process of all Vandalia companies, to ensure compliance with site, regional and JEHQ budget requirements. Play a critical role in the support of all sites with IPG business as it relates to costing
- Reconcile monthly inventory and prepare reports for inventory, scrap, inventorization etc. Review slow moving (excess) and obsolete inventory and establish systems to eliminate root cause
- Standard monthly reporting for sales (GM%, mix impact etc), materials (PPV, use etc.), DL (rate / efficiency) and other key cost data information
- Assist with various finance and accounting month end tasks
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting
- Ability to work in the United States without Sponsorship
- 3+ years of experience with high level Excel
- Ability to link operational activities to P&L or B/S impact, and to communicate clearly to non financial people
- Ability to navigate multiple ERP's (primarily Oracle), Lotus Notes databases, Cognos databases (e.g. BI Data Warehouse, Cognos Controller, TM1) and SalesForce.com
- Excellent understanding of cost accounting, including variance analysis. Able to easily understand and communicate the drivers of fixed or variable overheads. Preferably one to two years experience in a similar manufacturing environment
- Ability to be tenacious with staff in finance, operations, engineering, management etc to ensure accuracy of data, achieve cost reductions, process improvements, material changes etc and thus improve JE business and profitability
JE offers talented employees exceptional opportunities to learn and grow professionally with rewarding careers. We offer a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, prescription plan, vision, disability coverage, life insurance coverage, 401K match, and holiday/vacation benefits.
Johnson Electric is a global leader in motion products, control systems and flexible interconnects. We serve a broad range of industries including automotive, building automation and security, business machines, defense and aerospace, food and beverage, home technologies, HVAC, industrial equipment, medical devices, personal care, power equipment and power tools.
Established in 1959, Johnson Electric ships its products to more than 30 countries for use in hundreds of different product applications. Innovation and product design centers are located in Hong Kong, China, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Israel, France, Canada, UK and USA. We employ more than 40,000 employees and subcontract workers in over 23 countries.
This position provides direct support to business stakeholders through the review of cost data and monitoring of business trends and performance. The cost accountant is responsible for the ongoing analysis of product cost, labor and overhead rates, gross margin analysis and predictive cost for new products. In addition, this position plays an important role monitoring real-time business issues, interpreting data and helping to develop action plans to address key issues and/or take advantage of incremental opportunities. Organization and attention to detail are important along with relationship building and good verbal and written communication skills.
- Planning, studying, and collecting data to determine costs of business activity such as material purchases, freight cost, labor and overhead.
- Update standard labor and overhead rates.
- Roll standard costs as needed.
- Analyze and interpret expenses, purchasing, inventory and other business data to provide trends, opportunities, and practical insights. Make recommendations based on your findings.
- Provide projected costs for new products in the development phase.
- Conduct ad hoc data analysis and data quality investigations.
- Support cross-functional teams with the day-to-day execution of projects and initiatives.
- Develop and deploy predictive models to answer key business questions.
- Analyze and assist in the review of the monthly costs/expenses and product profitability.
- Generate recurring and ad hoc reports using repeatable database methodologies.
- Deliver effective presentations of findings and recommendations to multiple levels of stakeholders.
- Support the business with special projects, ad hoc reporting and process improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or 3-5 years of related work experience
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Analytical problem-solving experience and a natural curiosity about operating and administrative processes and procedures. Ability to dig below the surface to identify a problem’s root cause and make corrective action recommendations accordingly.
- Ability to see and clearly and concisely articulate sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Excellent written, verbal, listening and communication skills coupled with the ability to comfortably and confidently present to all levels within the company.
- Highly collaborative with internal and external stakeholders and partners.
- Capable of providing self-direction and a proven ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment.
- Strong integrity, business ethics, relationship management skills.
- Occasional travel < 10%
- Experience working with retail
- ERP Experience
Project Cost Accountant
Pathways is currently sourcing for candidates to fill a Cost Accountant role in the Los Angeles CA area. The Cost Accountant will act as both a Project Manager and a Cost Accountant and will be responsible for tracking expenditures, monitoring initiatives and project progress, approvals of various expenses, billing and collecting on the projects at hand, as well as documenting and reporting key metrics to management. Please submit your resume, your desired salary range, along with a paragraph write-up on your background and why you would be the best fit for this position.
The client is only considering Green Card Holders and U.S. Citizens at this time.
- Collaborate with departments within the organization to develop and implement methodologies, processes, procedures, guidelines, and tools to manage data flows for cost accounting and financial reporting purposes and goals.
- Create budgets for projects, monitor the costs of the projects, and create reports based on key metrics.
- Collaborate with various key stakeholders such as the organization's project managers in order to gather information across the business units on the status of the initiatives taking place.
- Determine project costs based on data gathered from project managers, department managers, and various stakeholders.
- As a Cost Accountant make sure that internal controls are in place and are sufficient to safeguard assets and proprietary information along with proper documentation and tracking of financial transactions. Having a background in SOX compliance is highly desired.
- Help prepare monthly and yearly financial statements and supporting schedules in a timely manner. Review, analyze, and report budget variances. Identify and disclose significant trends in revenues, gross margins, costs of sales, expenses and net income and recommend appropriate action.
- Keep communications channels open across the organization making sure that proper attention is given to the needs of the different departments while maintaining and monitoring the costs and making sure they are within budget and alerting stakeholders of costs that are not within the appropriate thresholds.
- Ensure timely and accurate billing/invoicing of project work and monitor collection of the cash.
- Assist with cash forecasting by providing forecast inflows and outflows on projects.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS Degree in Finance, Accounting or related field
- CPA not required for this position but is highly desired
- Training and familiarity in Project Accounting w/ strong background in Cost Accounting
- 10+ years of industry experience preferred; Previous experience in a similar role in a fabless, fast-growth, tech company would be an advantage
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint) is essential
- Proficient in using accounting software; Experience with Microsoft Dynamics 365, a plus
- Strong work ethic and growth mindset
- Exceptional organization and time management skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both oral and written
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong strategic problem-solving skills, with ability to exercise sound judgment in decision-making
- Self-starter with ability to work independently, as well as in a highly collaborative team environment
- High level of discretion, integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency
- Ability to check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Knowledge of project and cost accounting procedures in order to accurately classify, record, and summarize financial data
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and present in a structured manner to various members and levels of the organization
- Specific values/competencies for this role include: Attention to detail, Efficiency, Growth Mindset, Good Problem Solving, High Standards and a Positive Attitude
- Organizational Values: Customers, Results, Excellence, Innovation, Teamwork
Cost Studies Accountant
Under direct supervision, this position provides a supporting role in completing the University’s Facilities and Administration (F&A) rate calculation and proposal and will oversee Recharge Centers. In addition, this position will assist with various costing reports, analyses, surveys and other projects as assigned.
Reports to the Manager of Cost Studies.
Collects, verifies, edits and formats data for input into the F&A rate system (CRIS-Comprehensive Rate Information System).
Assists with the F&A space occupant survey.
Performs data verification reviews on financial, property, space and payroll data.
Oversees the recharge rate documentation.
Provides training to recharge center managers on the use of the rate template.
Assists recharge center managers and others with inquiries, requests, or information.
Prepares other costing reports, analyses, surveys and other projects as assigned.
Prepares documentation for above projects.
Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) required
Proficiency with spreadsheet and word processing software required
Ability to communicate accounting and financial information clearly and concisely
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Organization skills and attention to detail
Analytical and problem solving skills
Knowledge of Business Objects a plus
Knowledge of Uniform Guidance a plus
Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field required
Minimum of three years of accounting experience required
Cost studies experience preferred
Higher education experience a plus.
Licenses and Certifications
Manager (Production Cost And Entertainment)
Miller Kaplan Arase LLP is a CPA firm committed to excellence in work product and client service. We specialize in Entertainment, Licensing and Royalties, Media, Employee Benefit Plans, Labor Organizations and Nonprofit Organizations.
We are looking for a self-motivated professional who loves a challenge. If you are a logical reasoner who also enjoys puzzle solving, then this position is for you. The manager will work with a Senior Analyst and for a Senior Manager.
- Perform analytical, technical and research tasks, and provide a detailed analysis of your findings.
- Implement test procedures to determine compliance with contractual requirements in entertainment related agreements.
- Conduct in-office analysis, as well as fieldwork at major motion picture and television studios and production companies on behalf of clients at the forefront of content distribution.
- One (1) or more years of relevant production accounting experience.
- Understanding of television and film production and distribution.
- Data analysis proficiency utilizing production cost software preferred.
- Ability to schedule, track and perform multiple jobs, meet deadlines and adapt to fast-paced environment.
- Ability to write client reports on findings.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills and interpersonal skills.
- Strong proven computer proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Access, a plus).
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team.
- Some local and out of state travel required.
- BA/BS degree required; degree in Accounting or Finance, preferred.
Since 1941 Miller Kaplan Arase LLP has provided the highest quality of accounting and consulting services, with offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Las Vegas, Denver and Sun Valley, Idaho. Our Los Angeles office is located in North Hollywood, adjacent to Universal Studios. We are ranked among the 10 largest Los Angeles-headquartered accounting firms and are one of the top 100 public accounting firms in the United States. At Miller Kaplan Arase LLP we are committed to providing a positive work environment and want our employees to reach their highest potential while building a fulfilling career. The Firm offers competitive salary with full benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, 401(k) profit sharing, LTD, FSA, paid holidays, vacation and sick days.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!