Art Director Job Description Sample
The Art Director is responsible for the visual design, development and execution of all campaign elements and jobs produced for the brand. He/she works closely with the copywriter(s) as a creative team to maintain brand consistency and excellence on all jobs. The Art Director also works in conjunction with various members of the art team and other agency departments (including production, imaging, the electronic studio, and account service) to oversee all jobs from start to finish.
- Oversee jobs from beginning concept/design stages through final production
- Establish credibility with Clients at all levels by developing knowledge of Client’s business, both the brand itself and people involved (i.e. internal client structure, individual responsibilities, and interaction between groups/individuals with respect to their impact on client jobs)
- Keep abreast of current advertising, design, and other visual communications
- Continuously explore cutting-edge, current, and unique design styles and imagery
- Demonstrate the ability to work in various forms of media including a working knowledge of the print production process
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic marketing principles
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of production techniques, options, budget and timing ramifications
- Keep supervisor briefed on creative projects
- Create designs, concepts, and sample layouts based on knowledge of layout principles, brand guidelines, corporate guidelines (if applicable), and aesthetic design concepts
- Meet with account management team to discuss the client’s requirements
- Work to ensure that Agency work is on strategy and contributes to growing the Client’s business
- Work as a team with copywriters to develop conceptual approaches to meet Client objectives for all designated projects
- Work to ensure that all final products released demonstrate only the highest quality creative and effectively communicates brand messages to targeted customers
- Be an effective presenter and clearly communicate creative concepts and rationale for design choices to team and clients and/or new business prospects
- Demonstrate ability to “zoom in and out” (big picture thinking as well as attention to details) as necessary
- Demonstrate the ability to develop creative work that is on strategy, on-time and on budget
- Demonstrate ability to collaborate with Client/Agency Creative/Account teams
- Help create a collaborative work environment between all departments and demonstrate ability to handle conflicts in a positive, professional and productive manner
- Maintain positive relationships with and utilize the internal business group departments (electronic studio, editorial, traffic, imaging and production) appropriately
- Communicate effectively and professionally both internally and externally
- Demonstrate good problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Remain calm despite high pressure situations
- Project a professional attitude and foster a positive team atmosphere demonstrating respect for peers and supervisors and establish credibility both internally and externally
- Assist other members of department/team as needed when workload allows
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager
We're looking for a talented designer with 1-2+ years of experience. Preferably, you have studied design, understanding the foundations of typography, hierarchy and grid structures, but you will also have the opportunity to dive into creating big ideas in brainstorming sessions.
Your portfolio should demonstrate the quality of your thinking alongside the excellence of your execution. Our team produces work that we can be proud of and we're looking for someone who shares that passion for nothing but the best.
The skill set we're looking for emphasizes digital creative, but the ability to seamlessly move between all things digital, environmental, motion, and print is a plus. Show us your web design, UI, icons, info graphics, photoshop compositions, and motion graphics work. A basic knowledge of front-end coding is a plus—we often work closely with the dev team.
You'll be surrounded by smart, creative people who, like you, enjoy making amazing things for a living. We have a free-flowing and organic work style, so there are plenty of opportunities to contribute to the creative direction for our brand. You need to be comfortable working in a collaborative setting.
Competitive salary and benefits package
TRAY.IO IS USHERING IN THE ERA OF THE AUTOMATED ORGANIZATION
We believe that any organization can and should automate. With the Tray Platform, citizen automators throughout organizations can easily automate complex processes through a powerful, flexible platform, and can connect their entire cloud stack thanks to APIs. Today businesses like IBM, Forbes and Lyft rely on Tray to connect, process, and automate data between the tools they use everyday.
You’ll contribute directly to this mission with a team that fully supports you to do your best work. You’ll join humble, but fiercely ambitious, people like yourself who also take great pride in what they do, working in a culture built on friendship, transparency, and above all, looking out for one another. You’ll also have endless opportunities to learn and grow professionally in a fun, fast-paced, and open environment...and to make your mark at an rapidly-growing company positioned to completely reinvent a multibillion-dollar industry.
"With Tray, we have a group of experts who can help us explore all the possibilities we haven’t even thought of yet.” - Mike Atwood, Executive Director, Client Success / Vox Media
“I can’t emphasize enough just how good the Tray folks are at what they do.” - David Dorman, Director of Growth and Demand / DigitalOcean
Design is an important principle at Tray. We take great pride in our product experience and see it as a key driver for our success.
Our dedication to exceptional user experience carries through all our communication, from our website, marketing materials, ads and beyond. An art director working at Tray.io will have a passion for this discipline. We’re looking for someone to marshall the visual strategy, bring it to life, and drive fresh creativity into everything we do.
As an integral part of the marketing team, you’ll decipher vague communication goals and translate them into concepts and visual direction that stand out. You’ll steward the brand and help it evolve in a cohesive way. You like rolling-up your sleeves to produce designs yourself. You know how to recruit, coach, and manage a variety of design contractors.
- You have excellent visual and written communication skills
- You’re comfortable tackling a mix of styles and enjoy the creative process
- You’re comfortable owning and evolving the Tray.io brand
- You’re comfortable meeting with stakeholders and gaining a deep understanding of the message that builds the story
- You are great at giving and receiving feedback
- You thrive in an autonomous environment and being part of a fast-growing team
- You have a careful design discipline and can work closely a cast of characters
- Work with the executive team and a top branding agency to lead and launch a re-brand
- Ensure that all visual communications remain consistent and align with the brand
- Redesign the website and existing creative assets
- Pitch concepts for new marketing campaigns
- Be an integral part of the marketing team and manage the development and execution of creative for integrated marketing campaigns including website, email, presentation video, social media, print, events, and other assets as needed
- Design web landing pages optimized for user conversion
- Manage contractors/freelancers and create a supportive environment that helps them do their best work
- BFA in Graphic Design or related field
- Demonstrated success over 4+ years in art directing or designing for a fast-growing technology company or a top agency
- Diverse experience with visual storytelling across web design, brand campaigns, data visualization etc
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and move work forward in a fast-paced environment
- Effective communication and collaboration skills to work with teammates across marketing, sales, and product
- Strong digital production experience
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch and other necessary software
- An outstanding portfolio that highlights your best work across the following types:
- Videography (animation, product screens, live action)
- Web design
- Ad design
- Presentation design
- You'll enjoy coming to work because we have a refreshing company culture that is open, hungry, fun, and global
- A best-in-class product that has incredibly happy customers which will make any designer’s job easier than otherwise
- Become a better marketer by learning from the fastest-growing and most sophisticated marketing teams that happen to be customers of Tray.io
- Substantial long-term upside with stock options in a ground floor opportunity in a category-defining company that is moving into scale mode
- Read about the standard bennies here: https://tray.io/jobs
Palladian Partners, an Altarum Institute communications company based in Silver Spring, MD, is searching for a talented creative individual with outstanding design and leadership skills who keeps up with what's new and what's coming in the world of online and interactive communication.
We're seeking an art director with 5 to 8 years of experience in the industry, including 3 years as an art director, who can create contemporary, beautiful, user-centered design in a collaborative environment. We need someone who thinks in new ways, likes to be challenged.
Our clients include a wide range of government agencies, such as the National Institutes of Health, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We are dedicated to disseminating information about new discoveries in health, medicine, and social science to professionals, educators, patients, families, and the public.
If you understand the interconnections between user experience/user interface, print communications, animation and video, and you want to put your concept and design skills to the test on projects that help improve people's lives, this is the job for you.
Here's what you'll be doing:
Providing art direction to design staff
Working with colleagues to develop creative concepts and design executions
Using best practices in UI to design websites, infographics, video graphics and print materials as a member of our creative team
Working with project managers to identify client needs and suggest forward-looking solutions that make people think in new ways
Helping to ensure that high quality work is delivered on time
To succeed, here's what you'll need to be:
Advanced in Adobe CC suite of software
Highly talented in designing websites according to UX/UI principles for scalable and measurable interfaces
Advanced in creating branding systems, with emphasis on iconography and strong typography
Experience developing storyboards for animations and video
Experienced at forecasting and developing timelines for concurrent projects
Skilled with producing wireframes and know the role they play in UI design
Advanced in print publication design and the print production process
Skilled in producing/publishing interactive materials such as e-books
Hard-working, fun, creative, obsessively detail-oriented, and organized
Comfortable working alongside creative and noncreative types, communicating your vision, and understanding limitations
Comfortable in working in a fast-paced environment
Thoughtful about the role of design in relation to evolving technology
Committed to lifelong learning and following best practices unless otherwise instructed by the client
Looking out for the client's best interest and providing the client with aesthetically pleasing and cost-effective design solutions depending on the needs/budget of the project
You'll earn bonus points if you have experience in:
Working with federal government clients and projects
Creating accessible websites and PDF files for people with disabilities (Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act)
Adobe XD, Sketch, or Axure
Creating style guides
Adobe After Effects and Premiere
Translating health and science information into consumer-friendly products
Before you apply, make sure you've got:
A portfolio that shows off your creative mind and creative-as-message ability
A strong understanding of informational design and the ability to balance imagery and clean design to make content and concepts clear to audiences (great design and interactivity with a purpose)
A working understanding of the print production process
Top-notch typography skills
5-8 years of related experience
A degree in graphic design and/or interactive design
The ability to multitask and to flip your attention and creative energy quickly if needed
To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume. A link to your online portfolio or an attached PDF file of your design samples must be included.
Palladian employees are highly talented and are encouraged to think and work creatively and strive for excellence. Palladian offers competitive pay, excellent benefits, and the satisfaction that comes from working on interesting, meaningful projects every day. Palladian's dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Palladian Partners is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.
TCG, The Creative Group Atlanta is looking for a talented Art Director, with a strong background in experiential advertising, who will lead the charge for an agency client. The role would be a freelance role, working up to 40 hours a week, sitting onsite in Atlanta, Georgia. What you get to do every day:
Maintaining high standards on program graphics (both graphic design and application)
Responding to creative requests that entail discussing creative options and deadlines
Working with Traffic Manager to secure, brief and manage resources to assure deadlines are met
Recruiting new resources to spark creative thinking
Managing freelance artists and interns when needed
Requirements: - An incredible online portfolio
Strong experience with experiential marketing, with the ability to speak to building materials and substrates
InDesign, Quark, Illustrator, and Photoshop experience sought
5+ years of relevant agency or design experience
Graphic design and management experience
Employment Type: Freelance
Our Art Directors are master storytellers. They can weave a narrative to move people and ultimately help them fall in love with brands. But they also know it isn't just about selling products. They understand the power of design and story to change perceptions, empower people, and create a unique moment that lingers in the memory. They're enthusiastic problem solvers who deliver great customer experiences. They collaborate with some of the world's finest strategic thinkers, media planners, and design technologists to execute innovative campaign ideas both on and off Amazon's platforms. They have strong conceptual, presentation, and project management skills. And, of course, they possess an acute attention to detail.
The Amazon Worldwide Advertising team is looking for an experienced and talented Art Director who wants to deliver award-winning campaign ideas to millions of Amazon customers—and beyond.
Distill marketing challenges and business goals into focused creative briefs
Sell strategic thinking and creative concepts to executive-level internal and external stakeholders
Collaborate across multiple teams to drive projects to completion
Launch fully integrated brand campaigns
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
The Creative Group is seeking an Art Director to work with a highly revered branding and advertising agency in Bridgewater, New Jersey for a 5-6 month client campaign. This is an excellent opportunity for a Sr Graphic Designer with strong branding and concepting capabilities, or an Art Director looking to gain additional experience with one of the best agencies in New Jersey. The client is seeking a designer that is skilled in creating both print and digital campaigns and able to produce multiple concepts and be involved in the pitch process. While this is a project based opportunity, there may be potential for this to turn into a direct hire role after the project is complete. Designers with a strong portfolio and background in traditional and interactive design are encouraged to apply for this opportunity.
BFA in Graphic Design
Portfolio displaying a wide variety of branding and conceptual pieces
Interactive Responsive Web Design a plus but not required.
Previous Agency Experience, or Experience Freelancing with Various clients
Ability to create branding campaigns and have experience from concept to completion
Adobe Creative Suite
Invision, Sketch, or similar prototype platform
Ability to start work immediately Interested Designers are encouraged to submit their resume portfolio directly to for consideration.
Employment Type: Freelance
We are looking for an experienced Art Director who will be responsible for creating unique and effective marketing campaigns, tradeshow experiences, collateral, and other marketing materials. In this role, you will help develop engaging and effective concepts and bring these concepts to life with your advanced design, artistic and technical skills. The Art Director will meet with stakeholders to discuss and establish project objectives, research competing brands, current trends, and the target audience, and will be involved with the visual components from the initial planning stages through final delivery. Further, you will help establish and support leading practices that ensure designs align with brand standards and the corporate look and feel.
All about you
Developing conceptual ideas spanning all areas of integrated communication, branding and interactive programs
Collaborating with other creatives to generate ideas from creative briefs
Creating the visual style of marketing campaigns, tradeshows, multimedia, and various collateral
Leveraging compositing skills to create unique and engaging visuals
Determining the photographic, typographic, and graphic design style of marketing assets
Developing templates to drive consistency and efficiency
Understanding client goals while being driven by timelines
Presenting work for team and client reviews, incorporating feedback, and gaining final approval
Identifying, evaluating, and improving work processes
Contributing to the production of assets
Creating campaign and tactical style guides
Mentoring and reviewing the work of other designers
Staying current with industry trends and standards
Have at least 8 years relevant experience, with 2 years as an Art Director
Have a strong creative approach to integrated marketing, with demonstrated experience in campaign concepting and execution
Be able to decipher complex creative briefs and marketing objectives into intelligent design strategy
Have considerable experience designing for various media including print, digital, experiential, and multimedia
Have experience operating under brand guidelines and creative standards
Be well versed in emerging trends in media, marketing, and advertising
Have a portfolio comprised of multiple advertising and/or marketing campaign assets for major brands
Be self-motivated and organized, with a high level of accountability
Have a thorough understanding of graphic design, photography, typography and printing techniques
Be able to relate to different points of view, be receptive to feedback, and adapt as necessary
Have strong communication, time management, presentation, and leadership skills
Have excellent computer skills in relevant art and design software including the Adobe Creative Suite
- Have a bachelor's degree in graphic design, fine arts, marketing, or equivalent education and experience
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Contend is… a collection of like-minded, unique, creative, and mildly weird creators and doers.
We’re looking for an insanely kick-ass, smart, and ego-free Art Director to join our small but mighty creative team. We need someone who is as comfortable concepting as they are building decks and getting their hands dirty. You’ll need a toolbox full of the following:
* Make awesome, job-winning decks.
* Be able to interpret a brief and concept on-brand, eye-catching creative.
* Have a really good eye for photography, especially in relation to decks.
* Did we mention decks? Killer decks. Seriously.
* An innate ability to articulate ideas.
* The patience to take on multiple jobs and not lose your cool.
* A good freaking attitude.
* Really good style.
* A desire to visually own an account.
We’d prefer you be mid-level and have a solid book with some past agency or large client experience. If this sounds like you run, don’t walk, to our Chinatown office and come in for an interview! Ok, probably schedule one first, but still. We can’t wait to make some cool shit together.
Contend offers a full benefits package with full-time employment. However, this position starts as freelance.
The Creative Group currently has an opening for a skilled Art Director who enjoys creative problem-solving and taking on new challenges. Looking to take your art direction skills to a new level? Be sure to apply for this Art Director position soon. Responsibilities
Work with copywriters to develop strategies for advertising campaigns
Be responsible for illustrators, photographers and production artists on projects
Produce presentations and project plans, get to know clients, and ensure successful online representation of client brands, including sophisticated website design, user interface and interactive campaigns
Lead the development of artistic marketing and promotional materials, which could include radio, print, or television advertisements
Pilot the concept, design and execution of visual materials for integrated, cross-channel initiatives
Demonstrated leadership and supervisory ability, strong operation and project management skills
High skill level in design software applications and tools
Comprehensive knowledge of Creative Suite
Photo shoots experience required
7+ years of relevant agency or design experience
Employment Type: Full-time
The Art Director is responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the creative process for area development, place making and themed attraction projects for Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) and CityWalk (CW).
Responsibilities include participation in all phases of design (conceptualization through completion), to provide assurance that visual environments are consistent with design intent, and adherence to quality/brand integrity standards.
Creates conceptual and schematic design by participating with team of in-house creative team to develop a concept or design direction for each individual project.
Generates design ideas through hand sketches, imagery, research, SketchUp modeling and scale drawings to communicate the design intent and details to internal and external resources.
Provides creative design & development, including communicating visual ideas to Senior Management in Hollywood & Core Creative in Orlando.
Develops and expresses the concept designs responsibly & thoroughly so that they can be translated into the necessary design & construction documentation including coordination with project creative director and facility design manager.
Provides input on colors, materials, finishes and specifications for design & bid documentation, vendor submittals & in-field art direction.
Upholds the creative vision and Universal standards at all USH/CW venues.
Communicates key information and design decisions to Core Creative regularly.
Reviews & coordinates regularly ongoing design development with Director of A&E.
7 – 9 years of Art Director, Production Designer or Show Set Design experience in the Entertainment industry or related theme park architectural design group.
Minimum Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Design, Theatre, Film/Production, or related field.
Thorough knowledge of 2D and 3D Digital Graphics Software, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, 3D AutoCAD, and Microsoft Office – experience using REVIT and Bluebeam Revue a plus
Ability to deal well with ambiguity and constant change
Must be highly creative with a keen eye for environmental design and detail.
Ability to visually translate story into environment.
Ability to provide accurate and detailed drawing documentation with quick turnaround.
Ability to achieve results through flawless execution of strategies & objectives.
Strong visual communication skills including sketching, rendering, drafting & presentation.
Ability to effectively communicate across all lines of business, and with all levels of management.
Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, organizational & multi-tasking skills.
Strong organizational, planning, delegation & mentoring skills.
Strong passion for delivering the highest quality of guest experience.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Professional license in architecture and/or engineering is preferred.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!