Biophysicist Job Description Sample
Biophysicist - Molecular Order In 3D
Led by Shalin Mehta, the Advanced Optical Microscopy platform at the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub pursues measurement of physical properties of biological systems with increasing precision, resolution, and throughput. We exploit diverse light-matter interactions and algorithms to measure architecture and dynamics of molecules, organelles, cells, organoids, and tissues.
We are looking for a Biophysicist/Bioengineer who will design experiments and algorithms to image architecture and dynamics of molecules and organelles. The primary application of these technologies is to reveal lifecycle of pathogens (viruses, bacteria, protozoa) within host cells or tissues, and enable discovery of therapeutic opportunities.
- Resources to invent disruptive technology that advances knowledge of biology and diseases.
- A collegial and collaborative environment consisting of diverse expertise. We collaborate with Biohub’s research teams focused on Infectious Diseases, Cell Atlas, Bioengineering, Genome Editing, and Data Science.
- Access to collaborators, resources and facilities at UCSF, Berkeley and Stanford.
- Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with the experience.
- Conceiving and executing assays for imaging physical properties of molecular assemblies and organelles.
- Evaluating fluorescent probes (genetic probes, organic dyes, photoactivatable probes) for imaging nanoscale architecture of molecular assemblies.
- Participating in the development of algorithms for retrieval of physical properties of the specimen from multi-dimensional data.
- Collaborating with biologists within the Biohub and at partner institutes on biophysical measurements to address diverse biological and translational questions.
- Collaborating with Biohub’s Data Science team on scaling up analysis and deployment.
- PhD or MS in biophysics, bioengineering, cell biology, biochemistry, or a related discipline. Candidates with MS are expected to have at least 3 years of research experience.
- Experimental prowess in molecular biology techniques, cell culture, and fluorescent labeling technologies.
- Experience in making biophysical measurements with imaging.
- Knowledge of optical microscopy techniques and scientific programming.
- Experience in imaging host-pathogen interactions and architecture of cellular organelles, e.g., cytoskeleton, mitochondria, endoplasmic reticulum, plasma membrane, ...
- Expertise in using diverse fluorescent probes (photoactivatable, optogenetic) and labeling approaches (genetic, HaloTag, Click Chemistry) for optical microscopy.
- Proficiency in image processing and data analysis.
Scientist, Molecular Dynamic Program Lead, - Early Stage Pharmaceutical Development
Location: South San Francisco, CA We are seeking a computational biophysicist to lead our molecular dynamics efforts within Pharmaceutical Development Department.
The position is required to assist in integrating molecular dynamics studies into our large molecule development process from early research to candidate selection including support of design of molecules with optimal manufacturing and stability profile. This role will require and build upon standing collaborations with NMR, HX MS, oxidative-footprinting, protein and antibody engineering, and other research groups (industrial and academic). We are one of only a few biotechnology companies heavily focusing on molecular dynamics because we believe simulations can dramatically help us develop and deliver better medicine to our patients. Genentech places a large emphasis on basic research in support of discovery and development.
Over the past five years, we have had great success establishing a molecular dynamics platform. We have shown that explicit solvent simulations of IgG1 molecules in development can provide an early window into sidechain degradation propensity and unintended conformational responses to formulation conditions. In addition, we have a very diverse library of large proteins to study.
Development of these molecules has led to an immense body of knowledge along with many questions about their physico-chemical properties which appear to be caused by differences in conformational dynamics between them –the field is ripe for discovery. To perform molecular dynamic simulations we have exclusive access to a large internal GPU cluster. Who You Are A Ph.D. with postdoctoral or 5 years industrial experience in enhanced sampling molecular dynamics simulations or related field who has demonstrable experience with computational biophysical analysis.
The candidate will be expected to champion new approaches to solve relevant problems, build external collaborations and lead teams with a matrix set up. Strong oral and written communication skills are necessary as you will be interacting with a diverse group of discovery research and process development groups. Familiarity with experimental methods to study conformational dynamics is necessary.
The candidate should be passionate about the capabilities of molecular dynamics, acutely aware of its weaknesses, and be eager to serve as leader of the technology to our scientists at Genentech and Roche. A high degree of self-motivation is essential. You will also be able to develop and pursue an independent research program and publish research in academic journals.
Candidates with in-depth knowledge and experience using the Amber suite of molecular simulation programs are strongly desired. LI-PTD-AE Who We Are A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses.
Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work. The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page. SDL2017
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!