Building Inspector Job Description Sample
Building Inspector III - Must Be A Florida Licensed Building Inspector
The salary range including Recruitment & Retention Pay is $67,073.00 - $87,769.00
The City of Fort Lauderdale is seeking dynamic and goal-driven employees. Employees that are motivated to take on today's greatest challenges and rewards in the field of local public service. Employees who are passionate about making a difference and achieving our mission: We Build Community, in a fast-paced organization that operates by vision, strategy, and action. Would you fit in? Apply now.
The Building Services Division of the Department of Sustainable Development is seeking a Building Inspector III. This is responsible administrative work planning, scheduling and assigning daily construction inspections, field inspection work securing compliance with City of Fort Lauderdale Ordinances, the South Florida Building Code, and other County, State and Federal regulations, and building plans review and examination work to determine whether plans, specifications, and materials conform to legally established requirements.
An employee in this class is responsible for assisting in planning, organizing, and directing a coordinated building inspection program. The employee develops and updates programs, policies, work methods, and procedures necessary for the effective and efficient operation of construction inspections. The employee in this class will inspect buildings and other structures, land use and land or building development or modification for structural conformance and for conformity with zoning rules and regulations effective in the City. The employee also reviews in detail plans and specifications of proposed building construction prior to the issuance of building permits. An employee in this class works under the direction of an administrative superior and must exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment in the performance of work assignments. Work is reviewed through periodic conferences, reports, and direct observation of results achieved.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Teamsters Local Union 769 and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to their employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City offers 401(a) participation with a 9% City contribution and no employee match!!
Must be in possession of a Building Inspector's License AND a Structural Plans Examiner's License from the State of Florida.
Must have a minimum of 2 years experience as a Building Inspector.
Must have 2 years experience in Broward or Miami-Dade Counties (High Velocity Hurricane Zone HVHZ).
These requirements are mandatory and not negotiable. Please do not apply unless you meet this criteria. Thank you.
NOTE: Required certifications/licenses must be kept current to continue employment in this class.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at http://www.fortlauderdale.gov/jobs
Please note: This position will remain open until enough qualified applications have been received.
All skill levels are welcome and training is available.
We are accepting applications in our Halifax area UCC Department for the title of Building Inspector.
Day-to-day tasks include:
- Travel locally using a permanently assigned work vehicle.
- Inspect buildings and work sites to ensure the materials and methods meet local and national building code requirements
- Produce notes and reports on inspection activities
- Review plans
- Issue Certificates of Occupancy
- Coordinate with team members and support staff
We offer competitive Salary and Hourly rate positions, Benefits packages, Bonuses.
Residential Building Inspector - Phoenix
Pacific InterWest Building Consultants, Inc. is seeking a building inspector to join our Phoenix Division team!
Founded in 1995, Pacific InterWest has been engaged in the practice of risk management through architectural peer reviews and third party course of construction inspections throughout the west coast. With operations in Northern California, Southern California, Oregon, Arizona, Nevada and Washington, our team of professionals works with many of the top builder/developers in the country. Pacific InterWest is currently adding new clients in existing regions and expanding into new geographic markets. For more information about our company, please visit our website at www.pacificinterwest.com.
• Our inspectors must be able to work independently, setting their own schedules while meeting the needs of our clients.
• Inspections are performed using our own custom database software (web-based) on a laptop or tablet. Field reports are automatically generated and emailed to the project site superintendent regarding relevant conditions of completed or the “in process” work of project subcontractors. Reports may also be reviewed by project managers, directors of construction, and legal counsel. On occasion, a special inspection may be performed and a field report may be prepared using a template in Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word or Excel.
• Site inspections require the ability to view all the pertinent areas of buildings under construction. Inspections may require, but are not limited to, walking, climbing scaffolding and tall ladders, and the ability to access and inspect roof areas.
• The inspector must be able to work constructively with the superintendent, trade workers, suppliers, manufacturers’ representatives, design professionals, and developer management to achieve the best possible field results.
• The inspector must be able to read, understand, and interpret architectural and engineering drawings and details of wood framed construction projects. The ability to review project drawings for missing or poor details of window installation, water intrusion, sound transmission, fire related issues, roof structures, and other high-risk areas is critical to the proper performance of the job.
• The inspector must be able to clearly communicate, in writing and verbally, with project team members and company management about relevant construction systems and processes.
• The inspector shall be knowledgeable of code requirements, regional trade practices, and manufacturers’ installation requirements for common materials. The inspector must be able to identify correct, or incorrect, installation methods in the field with special emphasis on the weather envelope. A clear understanding of the component products and installation of stucco, lath, windows, doors, decks/balconies, flashing, and roofs is essential.
• Current ICC certification, at minimum, as a residential building inspector (B1);
• 5 years of multifamily residential construction experience;
• Strong knowledge of the CRC 2013 and CBC 2013;
• Reliable transportation, this position requires daily travel to and from our client’s job sites.
Pacific InterWest offers a highly competitive compensation package for our Independent Contractors!
Golden Rain Foundation (GRF) is hiring for full-time Building Inspector. As a Building Inspector, you will be responsible for inspection of residential remodel building construction projects generated by the Foundation, Mutual Corporations and shareholders.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Consulting with architects, engineers, electrical and general contractors, developers and homeowners on building methods and standards.
- Plans review of all proposed remodel plans with Mutual Directors and contractors for compliance on local codes and Mutual building standards.
- Verifyingy compliance with Mutual policies for structural, electrical, plumbing and mechanical facilities, structures and systems.
- Reviewing and maintaining all Mutual policies and regulations.
- Inspecting each stage of remodeling construction and approve or disapprove contractor’s work.
- Inspecting work to be performed by contractors. Coordinating and supervising work performed by contractors.
- Advising Mutual Boards regarding modifications of apartments initiated by the occupant and any unauthorized remodeling or installation of appliances without proper permits.
- Verifying that work proposed in permit applications meets Mutual specifications and approves GRF permits. Reviews work for California Building Code compliance.
- Performing final inspection upon completion of Mutual projects.
- Coordinating fire/safety inspection requirements.
- Coordinating and monitoring landscape and grounds work performed by contractor.
In this role, you will also
- Accompany inspectors from the City of Seal Beach and other outside agencies on inspections.
- Establish and maintain files as needed.
- Assist Mutuals in specification writing, bidding, evaluation and preparation of contracts.
As a qualified candidate, you will have:
- Four years journey-level experience in building trades, with two of these years in inspection.
- Knowledge of building codes and ordinances.
- Knowledge of state and federally-mandated codes for mechanical, building and plumbing trades.
- Recent experience as carpenter, plumber or pipefitter.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations, safety standards and requirements.
- Knowledge of construction materials.
- Knowledge of escrow process.
- Ability to drive a motor vehicle.
- Ability to read blueprints and understand specifications.
- Ability to walk, stand, stoop, bend, kneel, crawl, and climb.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
- Close vision, distance vision and depth perception necessary.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present information at meetings, as necessary.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems related to construction and maintenance.
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers, shareholders and/or members, family members, Board Directors, local city building inspectors, contractors and vendors.
- Ability to use diplomacy and sound judgment.
Licenses/Certificates the qualified candidate will have:
- High School or equivalent by college level study in building inspection technology.
- Class completion in National Electrical Code; Uniform Building Code, Uniform and/or Mechanical Codes.
- Possession of International Conference of Building Officials certification (ICBO) as a plans examiner, plumbing inspector, mechanical inspector or building inspector within one (1) year of commencing employment.
- A driver’s license valid for driving in California and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment.
Manager Of Code Inspections / Senior Building Inspector (Mep)
NOVA Engineering and Environmental, LLC is seeking a multi-disciplined Building Code Inspector to manage and grow our municipal support group for our Fort Myers office. This person will perform building code inspection duties (building, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing--as licensed). Our inspectors conduct multiple disciplined inspections on residential and commercial buildings, as well as provide daily project management as such relates to these types of code inspections. Some travel may be required for inspections and/or managing projects in the assigned area.
- Code Enforcement and/or Quality Control inspections
- Prepare written and electronic reports and issue notices of correction
- Explain and interpret building code and/or quality control regulations or requirements
- Recognize, evaluate and properly resolve unique problems or situations
- Maintain effective customer service relationship with clients and the public
- Assist the inspection management team with business development
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Manager
Minimum Qualifications and Education:
- Florida State Licensed Inspector certification (BN#) in two or more of the following disciplines: Building, Mechanical, Electrical, and/or Plumbing
- 5+ Years’ experience performing multi-discipline building and MEP inspections
- High School diploma or equivalent education; Associates or Bachelors degree preferred
- Valid State Driver’s license with “clean” driving record
- Licensed by the State of Florida FS 468
In addition to our traditional Environmental, Geotechnical Engineering, and CMT consulting services, NOVA also provides Building Envelope, Roof Consulting, and Structural / Forensics Engineering services that include condition assessments, design development review, failure analysis, as well as building envelope/roofing testing and inspection services during construction and/or rehabilitation.
NOVA has also expanded to provide industry leadership in building code compliance services that include: Municipal and Government Outsourcing, Loss Prevention, Construction Defect Mitigation, state of Florida Private ProviderTM and HUD Inspection services. Our professional staff includes experienced ICC certified plans examiners and inspectors, building officials, and engineers that can help you maintain the building standards of your community.
Currently, NOVA employs over 350 personnel located in 14 offices. Our professional staff consists of registered engineers, geologists, scientists, ICC inspectors, certified inspectors for housing and urban development, building officials, laboratory specialists, NICET and ACI-certified technicians, AWS-certified welding inspectors, and specialty consultants.
Building Inspector Housing Home Inspector Maintenance
Premium Properties & Development (www.premiumpd.com), established in 2002, is a full service property management and real estate investment & development firm. Currently, we manage over 800 (mostly residential) units in the Berkeley and Oakland areas.
We are currently seeking to hire a full time experienced Housing Inspector to fill the open position. The job includes inspecting the buildings daily, monthly and all individual units annually to comply with the residential housing safety program, identify deferred maintenance, code violations and health and safety issues. The position will also help identify and develop solutions to solve complex maintenance problems.
Working much of the time out in the field, the position conducts both simple and in-depth inspections of the structures and all their components from building envelop, drainage, utilities, systems and components, ect.
To qualify, you must possess two years of journey level experience as a building or housing inspector or four (4) years of experience in sub-journey level building or housing inspection activities, or such as a housing inspector or have certifications a recognized professional trade association such as ASHI, CREIA, NHIA, ICC. or have 10 years as a general contractor.
• CA Driver's License, smart phone and a working and reliable Vehicle. (We provide monthly reimbursement) and must live in the general vicinity.
• Minimum of 3 years' experience "hands on" construction background. Extra consideration to those with multi-trade experience such as a general contractor.
• Candidates with Inspection certification from a recognized professional trade association such as ASHI, CREIA, NHIA, ICC.
• Basic proficiency with a variety of computer interfaces and software including word processing, databases, internet and email.
• Good written and verbal skills; interpersonal skills relating to customer service are necessary.
• Possessing a full range of physical abilities essential for various tasks including but not limited to: climbing ladders, being on roofs, climbing stairs, crawling through tight spaces, bending, kneeling, squatting, lifting up to 50 lbs., pushing, pulling, carrying, and or driving.
• Applicants will be required to submit to a background check; no felony convictions as each applicant must be bondable. Ability to pass drug test screening.
• Candidates should be motivated, self-starting, energetic, and organized with excellent written and spoken communication skills.
Ideal Candidates Will Possess:
• Investigative inspection and documentation skills.
• Knowledge of construction methods and techniques, and building codes
• Experience accurately creating, reviewing, and maintaining records and reports
• Strong customer service/resident relation skills, friendly and helpful, even with difficult people.
• Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to communicate in a positive and professional manner, with management, residents, employees and vendors.
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to work in a sometimes hectic, always fast paced working environment, handle multiple competing priorities tasks and meet assigned deadlines with little supervision.
Compensation & Hours:
This is a long-term career position, the hours for this position are Full-Time, Monday through Friday, 9:00pm-6:00pm. As a valued employee, you will be entitled to full benefits package including, medical, and dental, 401K with employer match, vacation, and holidays.
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to attention: Housing Inspection Position. PLEASE NO ATTACHMENTS TO EMAILS. PLEASE EMBED YOUR APPLICATION INTO THE EMAIL. ANY EMAILS WITH ATTACHMENTS WILL BE DELETED. . . SORRY!
Building Inspector at Engineering and Testing Services Corp Date Posted: 11/3/2017 Apply Not ready to Apply? Job Description DEFINITION To perform inspections of buildings and structures in all stages of construction and accurately document the results of the inspection; to review various building, construction, improvement, repair and related building plans and specifications with applicable building, residential, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, fire, energy, green building standards and housing codes; and to do related work as required. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS EXAMPLES OF DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Provide training to new and existing inspection staff to ensure uniform application of appropriate codes, rules, and regulations;
Perform on-site inspections for industrial, commercial and residential buildings and structures for various stages of construction and remodeling to assure compliance with approved plans, specifications, and applicable codes and regulations of the City, County, State, and Federal agencies;
Issue correction notices and notice of violations and monitor compliance with the corrective measures;
Complete and maintain a variety of records, reports, documents and correspondence;
Inspect air conditioning, plumbing, mechanical and routine electrical systems;
Assure proper and safe installations of routine and complex building systems;
Perform Plan Check review of construction drawings, basic calculations, reports and specifications for compliance with the applicable California Code of Regulations and prepare written responses as necessary;
Provide information by telephone, email and at the Public Counter in response to questions regarding building codes and ordinances, building permit application process and procedures;
Approve and issue less complicated non-structural plan checks over the counter;
Confer with developers, contractors, architects, engineers, and the general public to explain building code requirements and answer questions;
Explain and interpret requirements and restrictions;
Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of quality customer service;
Perform related duties as assigned. Job Requirements MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge of:
General provisions of the building related codes and ordinances enforceable by the City, including the California Building Code, Residential Code, Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical, Fire, Energy and Green Building Standards Code;
Accepted safety standards and methods of building construction;
Principles, practices and procedures in the construction trades, including carpentry, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and heating/air-conditioning;
Principles and techniques of building inspection duties.
Legal procedures involved in the enforcement of building codes and ordinances. Ability to:
Read and interpret construction plans and specifications and to enforce their application;
Keep records and prepare reports;
Learn and apply specific provisions of applicable codes, ordinances and regulations enforced by the City;
Perform inspections by applying technical knowledge and following proper inspection techniques to examine workmanship and materials, and detect deviations from plans, regulations and standard construction practices;
Make arithmetical computations rapidly and accurately;
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
Use Windows, Excel, PowerPoint and Word; Permitting/Inspection software and other job related computer programs.
On a continuous basis, know and understand aspects of the job; and explain codes, regulations, and procedures to contractors, developers, the general public, representatives of other public agencies, and other City staff;
Work at indoor and outdoor construction sites at different heights and in confined spaces. Walk on uneven surfaces, climb into trenches, and work on ladders;
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Advise on standard construction methods and requirements and building codes and ordinances.
Perform journey level inspections in a variety of specialty trade areas.
Knowledge of current construction standards, codes, and regulations. Experience and Training Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be: Experience: Experience at a journey level in the building trades or building construction and/or experience as a Building Inspector with a local government agency. Training: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade. License and Certificate Possession of an International Code Council (ICC) certification; Possession of a valid Class C California driver’s license. Apply Not ready to Apply? Share With https://www.jobs.net/jobs/ce-labs/en-us/job/United-States/Building-Inspector/J3S3Y8781W0NWC2TW8W/ Building Inspector Job Snapshot
Employee Type: Full-Time
Location: San Ramon, CA
Job Type: Construction
Experience: Not Specified
Date Posted: 11/3/2017 About Us For over 35 years, Consolidated Engineering Laboratories (CEL) has built a distinguished history and an impeccable record providing quality assurance, material testing and special inspection, and geotechnical engineering for many of the landmark projects that have been constructed in the western United States. We are a company built upon a solid foundation of our core principles, which drive each of our employees to achieve to a higher standard; not only for CEL but for the entire industry. CEL has evolved into full-service materials engineering company providing specialized advanced engineering materials consultation and research and development. From foundation design and environmental remediation through our affiliate, Geosphere Consultants, CEL draws on its solid engineering strength and background to help solve problems for public agencies, private developers and contractors and engineers to help facilitate construction projects throughout the western United States. Our facilities are strategically located in northern California, Hawaii, and Utah. Our 270 employees are driven to call you by that most esteemed of titles, CLIENT.
Senior Building Inspector
Summary Benefits Supplemental Questions Portion of job posting that has been italized and bold are recent revisions. This position is responsible for inspecting residential and commercial buildings in the Town's jurisdiction to ensure that the work meets all applicable and current code standards.
The Town of Chapel Hill's Inspections Division is comprised of passionate and dedicated employees who work collaboratively with residents, contractors and fellow town employees to ensure safety and quality. In addition to a competitive benefits package offered to Town of Chapel Hill employees, the Inspections Division also offers Skill Based Pay. Skill Based Pay is a program that recognized and compensates Inspectors for obtaining, possessing and utilizing skills directly related to active standard certifications outside of the main trade for which they are hired.
Further details about this program are available during the recruitment and interview process. Essential Functions: Conduct on-site inspections of residential and commercial buildings in the respective professional licensed fields to ensure that all work is in compliance with applicable Federal, National, State and Local Codes; conduct minimum housing inspection with Code Enforcement Officer as needed; coordinate with local utilities for projects as needed Review plans, specifications and manuals, and check to ensure that proper permits have been secured and issues official notices for non-permitted work; review plans for construction, modification, renovation of building on job site and advises changes required for code compliance and proper work technique and safety; research and contact manufacturers to ensure products are being correctly used Meets with and answer related questions and notifies the public and design professionals of violations, correction orders, and reviews/approves interpretations of codes and local ordinances.
Resolves code compliance issues satisfactorily. Perform basic administrative duties; log inspection results into software; complete requisite paperwork associated with the inspection process including daily reports. Issues citations, orders and certificates as necessary.
Performs other duties as required Supervision Exercised This position may act in a lead capacity over interns/apprentices. Physical Demands The work is typically performed while standing, walking, crawling, bending, climbing, crouching, or stooping. The employee uses equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity and must be able to lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds.
Voice communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken word and conveying detailed information. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to received detailed information through oral communications and/or make fine distinctions in sound. Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work and observing general surrounds and activities.
Work Environment The work is typically performed in an office and out in the field to include construction sites and areas of limited mobility.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Any combination of education and experience that will provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the job Knowledge of: North Carolina Codes in Building, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing.
Relevant and applicable local ordinances and NC General Statutes. Methods and practices utilized in the building trade relative to, but not limited to residential, commercial, educational, swimming pool and medical construction. Microsoft Suite.
Ability to: Operate gauge reading equipment and other testing and measurement instruments. Read, review and interpret plans and technical specifications.
Work independently with little direction. Establish and maintain good working relationships with employees and the public. Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Maintain records and prepare reports based on inspections performed. Obtain and maintain required certifications. Model behaviors that are consistent with our values of RESPECT.
Senior Inspector Certifications A certification at standard Level III in Building and at least one in another code inspection field ( Electrical, Plumbing or Mechanical) by the State of North Carolina. Other Licenses/Certifications The possession of or the ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of North Carolina. Education A high school diploma or equivalent Senior Inspector Experience Four years of public sector experience in construction enforcement or a related field and a standard Level III Inspection certification Supplemental Information:
For candidates not yet certified in NC, a Prequalification letter from the NC Department of Insurance for the level of certification needed will be required prior to being considered for an interview in this position. You may contact NCDOI at 919-647-0000. Once employed by a jurisdiction you will be eligible for the certification level you receive prequalification in.
This classification has been designated as Safety Sensitive and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing. SDL2017
Building Inspector M15
Position Summary Inspect commercial, industrial, residential buildings or related structures to ensure compliance with applicable building codes, regulations and ordinances; work with the general public, developers and contractors to maintain code requirements and resolve issues related to code compliance and perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned areas of responsibility. Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification.
Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job. Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements High School diploma or GED plus eight (8) years experience in building inspections or construction of commercial, industrial, residential buildings or related structures, three (3) of the eight (8) years must be at a journeyman or foreman level or equivalent. Education is interchangeable as follows: a maximum of two (2) of the eight (8) years' experience required may be substituted by 60 credit hours related to building inspection/construction curriculum from an accredited college of technical school.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid Driver's License orthe ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of aCity Operator's Permit (COP) within six (6) months from date of hire.
Possession of certification issued by the State of New Mexico as a Building Inspector or ability to obtain within ninety (90) days from date of hire as aBuilding Inspector. Possession of a national recognized Commercial and Residential Building Inspector's certification acceptable to the State of New Mexico within one (1) year from date of hire into position. Preferred Knowledge Principles and practices of residential, commercial and industrial building inspection Principles and procedures of record keeping Methods and materials used in construction of residential, commercial and industrial structures Principles and practices of residential, commercial and industrial buildings plan review Advanced principles of mathematics including algebra Technical drawings, advanced mathematics, handbook formulas and tables Occupational hazards and standard safety practices Pertinent Federal, state and local laws, codes, ordinances and regulations related to assigned area of inspection responsibility Preferred Skills & Abilities Inspect residential, commercial and industrial construction to ensure compliance with applicable codes, standards and regulations Read construction documents and specifications Understand, interpret and explain applicable inspection codes and ordinances Read and interpret blueprints and specifications Maintain accurate logs and records Perform residential, commercial and industrial building plan review activities Apply mathematical principles to verify calculations to ensure that drawings and specifications are in compliance with applicable codes Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public Work independently in the absence of supervision Communicate clearly and concisely Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work SDL2017
Seeking qualified Commercial, Mechanical and Electrical Building Inspectors in the Council Bluffs, Iowa region. Position requires ICC Certifications or equivalent, or the ability to to obtain ICC Certifications in the relevant disciplines within 90 days of employment. Preference for commercial and industrial construction backgrounds with experience working on large scale projects with national contractors.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!