Carbon Furnace Operator Job Description Sample
Miller Brother Staffing is seeking candidates who are seeking a long term opportunity with a great company in Erie, PA!
- Full time
- Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday 11:30pm (evening before) – 12:00pm (Noon) Plus every other Sunday, depending on workload.
In addition to a competitive salary, they offer one of the best health care plans in the area that includes medical, dental and vision insurance. We also offer short term disability, life insurance, 401(k) with company match, 11 paid holidays, paid vacation, tuition reimbursement and more. PLUS – Work only 3 days one week, 4 days the next, and get paid full time with shift bonus
Furnace Operator - Will Train Heat Treat Specialist
Operate Industrial Furnace, heat treat of metal products:
GREAT ATTENDANCE A MUST.
1) Assists FURNACE OPERATOR by performing any combination of following duties: Seals furnace opening with fire clay and firebrick, using paddle and shovel.
2) Charges furnace with materials, such as scrap, ore, flux, reagents, slimes, oxides, pellets, or coke, by moving levers to open bin or hopper gates, by shoveling, or by signaling FURNACE CHARGER or OVERHEAD CRANE OPERATOR to load furnace.
3) Turns valves to force air through tuyeres into molten metal to oxidize impurities.
4) Observes gauges and manipulates controls on panel to admit nitrogen to prevent igniting of magnesium.
- 5) Skims slag from molten metal, using bar, rabble, or ladle.
- 6) Cleans slag from tuyeres to let air flow, using bar, hammer, or pneumatic drill.
- 7) Signals OVERHEAD CRANE OPERATOR, or uses electric hoist, to position ladles or buckets near furnace, and moves levers to tilt furnace into pouring position.
- 8) Scrapes and chips slag, solidified metal, furnace lining, and residue from furnace, using hammer, chisel, and scraper.
- 9) Breaks condensers and defective retorts with sledgehammer for removal to crusher.
Our Staffing Coordinators will work with you to find the ideal job that fits your personal goals. SMITH uses Job Matching Tools to match your abilities and interests ensuring that your talent is utilized to its fullest potential.
Furnace Operator/Machine Operator
A steel mill plant in Midlothian is looking for quality workers who can operate heavy machinery.
- Controls furnace to refine product from electric-arc furnace.
- Manually tosses product additives into furnace and/or ladles. These product weight up to 70 lbs. Obtains a test sample to be sent to Chemical laboratory for analysis.
- Takes temperature of the steel using a 12-foot temperature lance.
- Visually monitors the chemistry of the product on computer screens.
- Adds new electrodes as needed.
- Controls opening and closing of furnace form the pulpit while the stoker applies product/overflow material to the molten steel.
- Communicates by telephone/radio to crane operators when supplies are needed.
- Occasionally climbs a ladder to manually feed the wire.
- Record data from each heat on touch screen and forms.
- Assists maintenance with cleaning on down days.
Schedule: - Rotating Shift and Days
Pay: - $15.00 per hour
Benefits: - Full Benefits plus potential for bonuses when you become fulltime and after the probationary period.
To share the Love of God by helping people find a quality job to help provide for their family.
To help as many people as possible find good jobs by helping as many clients as possible find good people.
Express has put more than 6 million people to work worldwide.
Thermal Specialties Heat Treating facility in Tulsa, OK is accepting applications for the position of Furnace Operator/General Labor. Education must be a high school diploma or equivalent and have a valid Driver’s License. This position requires knowledge of metal working within the manufacturing industry setting 2 years experience. Must have good time management, multi-tasking, problem solving, and teamwork skills.
The purpose of this position is to:
1) Monitor furnace process indicators to insure process requirements are achieved. (Time, Temperature and Atmospheres)
2) Process product in accordance to production schedule to ensure customer expectations are achieved and minimize gap times between loads
3) Document all processing information on shop orders and furnace charts
4) Fixture loads to achieve desired metallurgical results
5) Monitor Furnace mechanical operations and perform preventive maintenance as needed.
Heat Treat Labor
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Responsible for maintaining daily production levels while achieving acceptable quality levels
- Adheres to company Environmental, Health and Safety Rules
Primary Assignment Areas
Furnace Operations Secondary Operations
Wash and paint parts Runs Shot Blast Equipment
- Runs the front and back of a pusher furnace Wash and paint parts
- Builds loads for furnace
- Runs the normalizer furnace
Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions as well as complete required documentation
- Able to work weekends and various shift schedules
Our product portfolio encompasses axles, suspensions and modules, brakes, gears, differential carriers, gear boxes, electric drive systems, and other components. These products are integrated into vehicles used in agriculture, construction, defense, ground support equipment, material handling, mining, transit, and other specialty industries.
Moving the world for over 100 years, our success lies in our engineering expertise and understanding of customer needs to provide the most optimized vehicle solutions. We design and develop everything from single components to complete vehicle systems, delivering custom and standard products of the highest quality.
We are the most reliable source of replacement parts to meet stock needs and unit down demands through our global distribution network. Our aftermarket product offering covers all Rockwell and AxleTech applications from old to new. We also provide the highest level of product recovery in the market with our remanufacturing services.
Furnace Machine Operator
Position/Title: Air Furnace Melter / Bricker Helper
The Air Melt Helper is responsible for the daily activity that involves helping the Melters in Air Melt.
To accomplish this requires skills and knowledge in related areas which may include, but are not limited to the following: small diameter, large diameter, materials/scrap yard. . Moving product or material and use of a fork lift as needed. The Air Melt helper is expected to interact with other departments like production, sales, EH&S, Quality/Lab and/or clients.
The helper is required to work continually in a challenging and fast paced environment. The candidate must be able to adjust priorities quickly, provide unequalled service and work with a sense of urgency.
1. Routinely apply logical thought process to effectively carry out verbal and written instructions in a safe and effective manner.
2. Routinely apply knowledge and skills to troubleshoot and optimize effectiveness of product in the best efficient manner.
3. Routinely deal with multiple job tasks, communicating with other departments and within production. After priorities are determined; the helper will work with the Melter and team members to complete assigned tasks and report completion to the Melter, team leader on duty or assistant production manager if necessary.
4. Routinely identify sources to optimized services in order to better serve the Melters, quality of product and accomplish task with the time frame stipulated.
1. Check the cooling water systems to all the Induction furnaces. Be sure they are all circulating. Do not start the furnace if the cooling systems are not functioning properly. Call the Melter and your team leader on duty.
2. Check furnace linings. Be sure they are in good conditions. Do not start the heat if furnace lining if is not in good condition.
3. Check melting schedule. Be sure all the charges are there. Special attention to instructions given on the proper sequencing of heats and furnace lining requirements such as: Refaced, Wash heat, etc.
4. Check the charge material in every heat. Be sure all the materials listed on the heat sheet are in there. If one or more material is missing, do not charge the heat. Call charge make-up.
5. Follow MELTING PRACTICE RIGOROUSLY:
a. Always use maximum power possible in melting.
b. Do not Super Heat.
c. DO NOT LEAVE FURNACE FULL OF MOLTEN METAL AT HIGH TEMPERATURE WITH POWER ON AT ANYTIME.
d. If you have to leave the melting area and nobody is attending the furnaces, call your team leader on duty and/or shut off all the power.
e. If you have to leave the melting area for a short time (Go to the restroom, weigh additions, take prelim sample to the Lab., etc.) put the furnace at holding power or shut the power off.
f. Take prelim samples as required. Call the lab about 15 minutes before taking the sample so they have time to set up the machine to run prelim.
g. Weigh up prelim additions accurately. Be sure to use the correct material as indicated on the heat sheet. Double check material description and code number.
h. Melt additions properly and adjust molten metal temperature to tap temperature. Check with thermo couple pyrometer.
i. Weigh up Deoxidizer for ladle and / or furnace additions if specified.
j. When tap temperature is attained, shut power off and slag off thoroughly using slax material. Shut power off when tapping material from the furnace to the ladle. Add deoxidizer if required.
k. Blow the whistle and be sure the proper ladle is used (Cobalt base, Nickel base, Iron base, etc.).
l. Remove slag from the ladle using slax material. Check metal temperature in the ladle to be sure the pouring temperature is followed.
m. Tap all metal from the furnace completely.
6. Record all necessary data in the Log Book. Complete necessary paper work required.
7. Keep melting area clean and orderly. Clean up at the end of the shift.
8. Return empty drums and carts to staging area.
Furnace Utility Operator
Furnace Utility Operator
Job Function: Manufacturing / Operations
Business Unit Group: Engineered Products and Solutions
Position Description: Assist in the operation and maintenance of high productivity melting furnaces.
Load/unload materials and product to/from furnaces
Inspect the condition of the product to ensure quality and document results accurately
Perform operations as directed from verbal and/or written documents such as: shift logs, procedures, work instructions, checklists and/or manuals
Maintain current status on relevant training, documents and competency training forms
Strong learning aptitude required because 85% of the knowledge required must be learned on the job
Operate equipment such as tow motors, overhead cranes, welder and hoists
Function as a viable member of the furnace team
Operate the furnace as directed during the melting process
Interpret and control the furnace conditions as they relate to the product being produced
Cross-train to operate all furnaces
Maintain operating records and logs
Recommend measures to improve production methods, equipment performance and quality of product
Suggest changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of work crew
Clean out furnaces during maintenance cycles
Set up furnace hardware including hearth, molds, shields and feeders
Conduct preventive and general maintenance on furnace hardware including hearth, molds, shields and feeders, gate valves, vacuum pumps, helium recovery systems and other support systems
Troubleshoot equipment and system abnormalities
Condition Ingots by operating grinders, saws and drill presses
Operate a cutting torch
Possess one or more of the following skills at the apprentice level: welding, machining, mechanical/millwright, MIG and TIG weld, Pneumatic and Hydraulic knowledge, machining skills or basic electrical circuit knowledge
Use various hand and power tools as directed
Ability to work in areas requiring safety harnesses (heights) and confined spaces
Take ownership of equipment and areas including all housekeeping activities. Drive 6S standards
Work in accordance with established safety rules
Must be flexible with work schedule and be available to work 12-hours shifts, overtime, and weekends. Will rotate from day to midnight shift every 30 days.
Work on tasks outside of the job description as directed by Management and/or Lead Operators for training, emergency relief purposes, production needs or continuous improvements
Requisition Number: 20976BR
Minimum Years of Experience: 2
Primary Location: OH-Canton
Minimum Education Required: High School or GED
Minimum Travel Required: 0-25%
Basic Qualifications: Must be able to perform each individual job duty satisfactorily · Associates degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or a minimum of two year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience · Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, drawings and blueprints · Ability to write routine reports and correspondence · Ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form · Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations · Physical Demands: The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision Work Environment: The employee is regularly exposed to high, precarious places and must be able to work in small or confined spaces. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works in wet and/or humid conditions with fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud
Business Unit: Arconic Titanium and Engineered Products
Job Type: Entry Level/New Grad
Batch Furnace Machine Operator - Cherry Valley, IL
Ensures consistent preparation of loads being assembled (rack, bulk layered, etc.) for processing in either the Nitrotec or Pusher furnaces and post heat treat requirements.
- Communicate with previous shift regarding parts being run and any issues.
- Check schedules and with management for work to be run.
- Verify temperatures, cycle times, carbon levels, etc., and document per work instructions.
- Rack, bulk layer baskets as needed for production.
- Perform required quality checks per work instructions.
- Operate forklifts in a safe and efficient manner.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area per housekeeping standards.
- Properly record information on all documents associated with furnace/process.
- Pull samples for lab as needed.
- Troubleshoot furnace problems.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
2. Previous heat treat experience preferred but not required.
3. Must be ale to communicate (read, write, speak) in English; bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
4. Work in temperatures frequently above 100° (F) on all shifts.
5. Must able to move, lift or shift parts or loads up to 55 pounds.
6. Must be able to bend, walk and stand for long periods of time.
7. Must be a self-starter who is aggressive yet personable and willingly accepts responsibility.
FPM offers a wide variety of heat treating processes; serving the needs of over 3,000 customers and meeting the most challenging OEM and Military-Aerospace specifications. We serve all segments of the Greater Midwest manufacturing community including; automotive, construction and agricultural equipment, appliances and consumer products, general construction fasteners and building products, machinery components and tooling.
We have developed a strong niche in providing outsourced heat treating to many companies that previously operated their own internal heat treat operations. These undertakings have involved entire operations, as well as, providing a significant source of back-up/over-flow heat treating capacity.
Operator, Furnace 005/7A
Under general supervision, ensures parts are thermal treated in accordance with written specifications using a variety of thermal processing techniques.
May include, but not limited to the following: Normalizing, Quench and Temper, Stress Relief, Cold Stabilizing and Annealing. Position Accountabilities: 1.
Performs daily PM’s on furnaces. 2. Reviews routers for instructions and follows H-spec procedures. 3. Sets-up furnace, set temperature, and set timer per order specifications. 4.
Weighs count parts prior to, and after heat treat. 5. .Adjusts and controls furnace atmosphere. 6. Documents process events and parameters. 7. Complies with all environmental safe practices and regulations.
Reads all MSDS’ and possesses thorough knowledge of all oil and chemical labeling and storage requirements. 8. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested Position
High school or equivalent MINIMUM EXPERIENCE + 1-2 years SKILLS
Must pass internal certification as a Furnace Operator within 6 months of hire
Good interpersonal communication skills (written and verbal)
Use furnace instrumentation including: temperature controller, carbon controller, timers, strip charts, Alnor gages (dew point)
Follow instructions from routers, specifications LEVEL OF SUPERVISION
None Essential Functions: ACTIVITY (hours per day NEVER 0 hours OCCASIONALLY up to 3 hours FREQUENTLY 3-6 hours CONSTANTLY 6-8+ hours Sitting X Walking X Standing X Bending (neck) X Bending (waist) X Squatting X Climbing X Kneeling X Crawling X Twisting (neck) X Twisting (waist) X Repetitive use of hand X Simple grasp right X Simple grasp left X Power grasp right X Power grasp left X Fine manipulation right X Fine manipulation left X Push & Pull right X Push and pull left X Reach above shoulder X Reach below shoulder X Lifting and carrying requirements of the job: 0 hours up to 3 hours 3-6 hours 6-8+ hours 0-10 lbs.
X 11-25 lbs.
X 26-50 lbs.
X 51-75 lbs.
X 76-100 lbs. X 101 + lbs. X Heaviest item(name & weight) required to carry and the distance to be carried: 60 pounds pan of parts three feet.
Other requirements: YES NO If yes, briefly describe… Driving cars, trucks, and other equipment X Working around equipment and machinery? X Furnaces Exposure to excessive noise?
X Factory noise Exposure to extremes in temperature, humidity or wetness? X 120° summer months Exposure to dust, gas, fumes, or chemicals? X Natural gas, fumes from parts, chemicals, oils Working at heights?
X Operation of foot controls or repetitive foot movement? X Use of special visual or auditory protective equipment? X Face shield, leather apron, fire retardant apron, leather gloves, steel toed shoes, safety glasses, ear protection Other? X Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID: PCC-US.23616
A local facility is looking for a full-time Furnace Operator to start immediately.
•Operate heat treat furnaces and tempering furnaces with limited supervision to heat treat steel parts per customer's specifications.
•Read production schedules to determine production sequence and temperature requirements.
•Assist in hardness testing
•Load and unload furnaces
•Maintain heat number and grade traceability for parts throughout the heat treatment process
•Operate forklift, and/or squeeze truck to transport parts between machining area, cooling area, heat treat area, and inspection area.
•Maintain neat and orderly workplace at all times.
Qualified candidates will have previous experience with furnace operation. Willing to train.
Experience in quench and temper furnaces and induction hardening equipment a plus. Must be a reliable team player.
Only candidates that can pass a background check and drug screen will be considered.
For an immediate interview, please call 216-706-7347
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!