Carpenter Railcar Job Description Sample
Railcar Field Mechanic
Position: Ballast Field Service Mechanic
Directly Supervised by: Ballast Field Supervisor (Tracy Leibbrandt)
Next in Command: Della Ehlke, Owner
THIS IS A TRAVELING POSITION (Nationwide) AND IS NOT LOCATED IN MONTANA
Duties: Include everything that encompasses the service, maintenance and trouble-shooting of the ballast dumping system of rail cars. Technician has a goal of maintaining the ballast dumping system of the cars assigned to him/her at 100% operational or repair within 24 hours. Specific duties include but are not limited to, checking and maintaining appropriate oil level, replacing defective parts, maintaining and submitting paperwork and online reports as directed, maintain corresponding with appropriate supervisor at BNSF as to train location(s) and scheduled work times, attending daily briefing meetings with BNSF, training BNSF employees in appropriate operation of ballast dumping system and alerting BNSF employees of any cars that are not functioning or other problems with the ballast dumping system that might be expected that day.
Daily preparation of work reports, monthly preparation of mileage and report of expenses.
Mechanical , Electrical and Welding Experience is preferred. CDL is preferred. Must be eligible to obtain CDL and pass random drug testing.
Position could require extensive travel. Thorough on the job training are provided.
Compensation & Benefits: Weekly Salaryplus $250/month when all reports are turned in on time and opportunity for year-end reporting and profit sharing bonuses. Allowance for travel expenses. 6 month probationary period. Group health insurance plan. Employer matched 401(k) retirement plan after 1 year. Company provided vehicle; personal miles to be claimed and paid at standard IRS mileage rate. Position is Exempt (Salaried). Not eligible for overtime. Rotation schedule to be determined after all training is complete, training period not to exceed probationary period.
Frequent walking over uneven terrain
Frequent long periods of driving
Frequent lifting/carrying of less than 50 lbs
Occasional to frequent squatting, kneeling and climbing (including ladder)
Occasional lifting of 50 - 100lbs
Safety: Complete compliance with all current and subsequent safety requirements and PPE Requirements.
Railcar Billing Specialist
The Coordinator/Invoicing Clerk in the North Canton Service office provides clerical, billing and general accounting support Monday-Friday.
Track project revenue/expenses and progress daily
Efficiently and correctly compile estimates and invoices while adhering to customer and management deadlines
Invoice railcar repairs using AAR codes & client rate sheets; Create 500-byte files for upload
Serve as a liaison between our regional offices, the North Canton office and the Service Support Center in Salt Lake City.
Attend routine meetings, provide weekly project updates, and maintain daily communication with various staff members as needed
General administrative duties such as faxing, scanning, filing and answering a multi-line phone.
Answer the phone in a professional manner and efficiently take and deliver messages
Other duties as assigned
Previous railcar billing experience – be familiar with AAR coding & 500-byte files
Be able to work forty hours a week as well as required overtime as needed
Demonstrate skills in organization, planning, prioritizing, time management and multi-tasking.
Able to work in a fast-paced, high stress environment.
Able to execute tasks with speed and accuracy. Strong data entry & 10-key experience
Must exude a strong personal and professional integrity. Must be people-oriented and customer-service driven.
Must be able to read and write, in English. Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
Candidates must have superior computer and computer application skills, including all Microsoft Office products including Excel, Outlook and Word. A strong working knowledge of Excel is mandatory. Education/Experience:
High school diploma or GED required
Associates/Bachelor degree preferred + 1-5 years of prior office experience required
Accounting/bookkeeping experience preferred
Valid driver license required Work Environment: This is primarily an office position. In the office, the employee will be frequently exposed to normal office noises such as telephones ringing, copier running, etc. The noise level in the office is typically low to moderate. Safety glasses are required in the warehouse. Sunpro, a Savage Company, is located in a 2-story building that is not equipped with an elevator. Savage is an innovative supply-chain solutions company. We are the leading provider of fully integrated systems, designed and operated to solve unique logistics and materials management challenges for industrial companies throughout North America. Each of us at Savage is committed to integrity and delivering reliable, sustainable services in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. We expect our people to be progressive, relentlessly seeking improvement; experiencing opportunities for personal growth by working for a world-class organization and leader in the industry. Savage offers competitive benefits that include: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, a retirement plan, paid time off and opportunities for growth. Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace. ID: 2017-3446 Shift: 7:30 AM to 4:30 with some flexibility - MUST BE WILLING TO WORK OVERTIME External Company Name: Savage Services External Company URL: www.savageservices.com
Harbor Rail Services Company is looking for a dynamic Welders and Repairman to join its Tacoma, WA location.
Reports to : Location Supervisor
Welder and Repairman : $18.00 per hour depending on welding experience and certifications.
Start Date : As soon as possible
Position Requires Weekend Work and Evenings .
Welder and Repairman Job Description :
Essential Duties and
(Not Limited to)
- The primary responsibility of the Welder/Repairman is to perform all work on auto rack railcars.
- Freight car repairs including inspection in accordance with AAR, FRA, and railroad rules.
- He/She will inspect/maintain, replace and/or repair parts on the upper structure of the railcar.
- As well as operating electrical and gas welding equipment to join a variety of metals.
- Operate acetylene torches for cutting and/or shaping metal parts such as steel.
Job Experience Requirements :
- Must be able to stick weld 7018 rod and use cutting torch.
- Knowledge of hand tools and welding equipment.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate (speak, hear, and understand) English.
- Must be able to work outdoors in extreme all weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow, and sleet).
- Follow safety policies and procedures and wear the required personal protective equipment required for the job in a safe manner.
- Able to perform work on uneven surfaces, frequently climb ladders and on/off equipment, and work from various heights including making repairs on top of railcars.
- Able to work in conditions that include loud noise and fumes, work on and around heavy and moving machinery, bend, walk, stand and sit for extended periods of time and use hand tools.
Special certification or unique skills required :
- Welding Certification is a plus but not required.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to pass a thorough background check and drug screen.
Recruiters, please do not contact this job poster. DO NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers.
Railcar Inspection & Repair Laborer
The Railcar Cleaning & Repair Technician will safely inspect, clean and repair railcars to PTC company guidelines and customer work instructions.
- Perform railcar inspections and repairs to meet safety, quality and company production targets
- Inspect cars for cleanliness and perform lining inspection
- Inspect cars to assess maintenance and parts replacement
- Understand operation of all equipment
- Ability to use hand tools, welding equipment and railcar repair processes
- Transport equipment to site locations
- Remove debris from PD rail or boxcars
- Verification of work per company standards
- Complete documentation of cars cleaned and/or washed as well as parts replaced
- Coordinate car movements for company or customer needs
- Maintain company equipment and good housekeeping of site
- Maintain safety standards
- Assist in maintaining inventory of parts
- Any other duties that may be assigned in order to complete the assigned task
- Ability to lift up to 75 lbs of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs of force constantly to move objects.
- Ability to climb ladders, stairs, scaffolding and the like.
- Ability to work at 15 feet with fall protection.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, talk, hear and have good vision.
- Ability to work outside in environmental conditions which at times include extreme heat or extreme cold. Attention to detail is critical. High school diploma or equivalency.
- 18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.
- Possess a valid regular drivers license with a clean driving record
- Stable work history with good references from past employers
- Pass a drug screen, physical, and background check
- Speak fluent English
- Monday through Friday work with occasional weekends and some travel involved
Job Duties: Must be mechanically inclined.
Able to read and write, basic math skills. Able to work independently or as a team. Able to work flexible hours.
Welding experience a plus. Day and Night shifts available. Repair or replace defective or worn parts such as bearings, pistons, and gears, using hand tools, torque wrenches, power tools, and welding equipment.
Perform scheduled maintenance, and clean units and components. Examine car roofs for wear and damage, and repair defective sections, using roofing material, cement, nails, and waterproof paint. Other duties as assigned
Railcar Fleet Maintenance Associate
Job Summary: The Railcar Fleet Maintenance Associate supports the asset management team by providing clerical support specifically associated with railcar repair and maintenance.
A successful candidate must be a self-starter, comfortable with multi-tasking and prioritizing workload, possess strong communication skills and poise when engaging with management via telephone or face-to-face. Job Duties: Assist with the receipt, posting and processing of railcar repair invoices Facilitate the return of service railcars reported as damaged or defective Responsible for receipt, distribution and retention of industry rules and regulations correspondence Review and audit system data for accuracy and compliance with maintenance contracts Manage maintenance contractor database Produce fleet maintenance reports Provide support to other fleet maintenance team members, including members from other departments Maintain excellent vendor and customer relations General clerical including scanning, copying, filing, and data entry Perform other duties as requested or assigned by the Manager Qualifications/
3 years of experience in a clerical or administrative level position Excellent written and verbal communication skills for both internal and external constituents; will be expected to be primary communicator with vendors over both email and telephone. Experience with Excel and web-based software is required Detail-oriented and strong organizational skills Experience in a team environment comprised of clerks, administrators and managers Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently, prioritize, streamline and improve business processes Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled SDL2017
Railcar Prep Technician Apprentice - (Upper Sandusky, OH)
JOB SUMMARY : Cleaning and Prep railcars for loading at customer locations ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS : Duties include, but are not limited to: Perform railcar cleaning according to established procedures Learn and perform railcar prepping according to established procedure Safely operate equipment Conduct pre-inspection and post-inspection of assigned equipment Follow all safety procedures, including wearing all appropriate PPE and Blue Flag Rules Participate in meeting objectives for safety, quality, and profitability Create all required reports accurately and in a timely manner Assist in Inventory of material and parts Maintain good communications with customers Follow company and applicable railroad policies and procedures Conduct preventative maintenance and repair of equipment Maintain good housekeeping of equipment and site Work toward completing Prepping Training Certification Perform mobile cleaning Other duties as assigned PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS : Ability to lift up to 50 lbs with our without reasonable accommodation Ability to climb in and out of a large truck Ability to climb ladders on a railcar Ability to walk on uneven surfaces Ability to travel up to 50% of the time Willingness to be available 24/7 for site support ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS : Exposure on a regular basis to outdoor weather conditions Exposure to dust from various grain, fertilizer and minerals.
QUALIFICATIONS : High school diploma or equivalent Strong leadership skills Good organizational and paperwork skills Must possess a valid driver’s license Willing to secure class B CDL license within 6 months of employment at site Welding experience preferred, willing to continually improve welding skills and work toward achieving weld certification, AWSD15.1 Good interpersonal skills in dealing with customers, employee’s, management and vendors High mechanical aptitude and ability to operate site equipment (skid steer, vac system, Trucks and Wheel Loaders) About the Company… Holland L.P. is a $275mm organization headquartered in Crete, IL. We have over 1,200 employees who provide a variety of contract services within the railroad industry in North America. We strive to set industry standards for both our service expertise and our equipment in fulfilling our mission outlined in our slogan, A Rail Solutions Partnership Unlike Any Other . In addition, Holland designs and manufactures equipment and products for utilization by our railroad customers, both domestically and internationally.
Our leadership decisions are guided by our core values, which are: Respect, Family, Partnership, Improvement and Integrity. Holland Company is wholly-owned by The Curran Group, a privately-held holding company located in Crystal Lake, IL.
The general purpose of this position is responsible all aspects of railcar repair and maintenance. The person must be able to read and understand blueprints, make car repairs in compliance with FRA & AAR rules and keep good repair records. Ensure all company guidelines are met and all safety rules are followed when performing duties
Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities are listed below. Other duties may be assigned.
- Interpret job work orders to perform required repairs
- Coordinate and complete repairs in an efficient manner and within assigned hours
- Notify supervisor of any materials and/or equipment required to ensure completion of job tasks
- Interact with crew members in a team environment, as well as with supervisor
- Follow all safety rules, keep work area clean and comply with all GBW Environmental Health and Safety Policies
- Ensure AAR, GBW and customer quality assurance standards are met
- Any other duties as assigned such special projects
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and write English at a high school level
- Work in hot and cold environment, in and out of the weather; work safely around heavy equipment and on top of and under railcars, as well as around railroad tracks.
- Knowledge of machines and tools required to weld, cut and gouge
- Perform/ prioritize multiple tasks with attention to details.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions including basic blue prints and schematics.
- Basic mechanical skills and the ability to read a tape measure
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including but not limited to steel toed boots, eye protection, ear plugs, gloves, hot work PPE, and fall protection.
GBW Railcar Services now has the scale to expand railcar repair service offerings for general freight cars of all types, and meet the certification and maintenance requirements of the growing North American tank car fleet. With 40 facilities located across North America and more than 2,100 team members, this cutting-edge, full-service company performs a broad spectrum of repair, maintenance and recertification services.
Railcar Repair (Carman) - Wellington, KS
Railcar Repair (Carman) - Wellington, KS Apply now »
Start apply with LinkedIn
Start apply with Facebook
Apply Now Email
Please wait... Location: Wellington, KS, US, 67152 Company: BNSF Apply early as this job may be removed or filled prior to the closing date, which is approximately seven (7) days after the posting date. Job Location: Wellington Other Potential Locations: Wellington, KS Anticipated Start Date: 01/01/2018 Number of Positions: 2.0 Salary Range: Entry rate of pay is approximately $25.27 per hour All communication with applicants will be done via email. Please check your email on a daily basis. Mechanical Journeyman Hires requiring relo (Machinist, Carman, Sheetmetal Worker and Boilermaker): A $15,000 hiring incentive – payable over three (3) years in equal installments of $5,000 - is available for candidates who meet the below qualifications:
Offered a position and successfully complete the pre-employment process
Provide documentation of Journeyman status for the same craft (at time of conditional offer)
Successfully complete probationary period
Requires relocating from your current home address per BNSF’s guidelines.
This incentive will include a 3 year hold-down. Leaving the location or job for any reason will result in 100% repayment and forfeiture of future payments. All Mechanical Apprentice Hires requiring relo: A $10,000 hiring incentive – payable in two installments of $5,000 over two (2) years - is available for candidates who meet the below qualifications:
Offered a position and successfully complete the pre-employment process
Provide documentation he/she is actively enrolled in an Apprentice program for the same craft (at time of conditional offer)
Successfully complete probationary period
Requires relocating from your current home address per BNSF’s guidelines.
This incentive will include a 3 year hold-down. Leaving the location or job for any reason will result in 100% repayment and forfeiture of future payments. Additional information will be provided to candidates selected to interview. DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: Inspect, rebuild and repair freight cars. SAFETY: Comply with company and federal safety rules, policies and procedures to include wearing required safety equipment, responding to and acting on safety concerns. INSPECTING: Inspect railcar frames and bodies for holes, cracks, and other defects; safety appliances including hand holds, sill steps, grab iron, brake platforms, running boards; wheels to insure that rim treads, plates, hub axles, and bearings are in good repair. REBUILDING AND REPAIR: Maintain, replace and repair air brake pipes, valves, gaskets, air hoses and other equipment. Operate electrical and gas welding equipment to join a variety of metals and alloys; operate acetylene torches for cutting and/or shaping metal parts such as aluminum, cast iron, steel, and bronze. EQUIPMENT OPERATION: Operate specialized off-highway motor vehicles including forklift trucks, mobile cranes, track mobiles, ship tractors. The duties and responsibilities in this posting are representative categories to be used in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general categories do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list of duties of the position. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: • 18 years of age or older • High School diploma or GED • Willing to submit to a background review • Available to work in geographic area indicated • Able to read, write and communicate (speak, hear and understand) English • Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions • Work full-time (40 hrs/wk). Shifts governed by union agreement and subject to seniority. Mechanical shops operate 24 hours/day, 7 days/week with three 8-hour shifts including weekends, holidays, overtime. Available to work any shift required • Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs without assistance • Possess valid driver’s license • Able to visually distinguish colors - red, blue, green, yellow; hear, and with training, distinguish auditory signals • Able to use hands to perform activities involving holding, grasping, turning and pulling • Able to perform work on uneven surfaces; frequently climb ladders and get on/off equipment; work from various heights including making repairs atop railcars • Able to work in conditions with loud noise and fumes, work on/around heavy/moving machinery; bend, walk, stand, sit for extended time; use hand tools • Follow safety policies and procedures; wear the required personal protective equipment Training: Company-paid on-the-job. Relocation: Assistance not available. Work Conditions: Extreme all-weather conditions; uneven surfaces; safety sensitive work environment. Probationary Period: Journeyman = 60 days; Apprentice = 122 days. Travel: Minimal. Shifts/Hours: Full-time (40 hrs/wk), subject seniority and governed by union agreement, assigned shift may be one of three 8-hour shifts; Mechanical shops operate 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. Union: Brotherhood of Railway Carman BENEFITS: BNSF Employees receive a competitive benefit package. All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled. BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
Last 7 years of driving history
Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
Social Security number
Education MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
Other elements as needed DRUG TEST ELEMENTS: BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free. Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at http://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic. SF: MO | Mechanical; Transitioning Military | Operations - Mechanical | Wellington, KS | 67152 Zip/Postal Code: [ Nearest Major Market: Wichita Job Segment: Accounts Payable, Electrical, Finance, Engineering Apply now »
Start apply with LinkedIn
Start apply with Facebook
Apply Now Email
Railcar / Railroad Switchman
Railcar Switchmen & Locomotive Railroad Engineers
Petroleum Service Corporation an SGS company is currently seeking new positions to work in a chemical plant / refinery in Baytown, TX. Entry level candidates will be considered. Experienced & FRA certified Locomotive Engineers and Conductors are a plus and will be paid top dollar! All active and furloughed train crew employees are also encouraged to apply.
Works with the engineer on the train to safely move railcars along the railroad in, out, and around the plant.
- Examines track list in order to determine which cars are to be spotted, loaded, and/or shipped.
- Proceeds to the designated track(s) in order to separate cars to be shipped, loaded as well as to ensure that there is proper track space available for inbound cars.
- Separates inbound cars and spots for loading/discharge.
- Spots any other cars that may be designated for loading/discharge.
- Ensures that all cars which have been spotted are properly secured by means of setting the brake.
- Pulls loaded cars and separates cars that will be shipped from those that have been preloaded.
- Checks outbound cars in order to ensure that all cars are properly connected.
- Weighs all inbound and outbound loads and empties.
- Ensures that DOT certification for weight on outbound loads is not exceeded.
- Any other duties that may be assigned in order to complete the assigned task.
- Communicate with plant personnel and other workers via radio-telephones or computers to exchange switching information
- Signal crew members for movement of engines or trains, using radios and hand signals.
- Operate engines within railroad yards or other establishments to couple, uncouple, or switch railroad cars.
- Spot cars for loading and unloading at customer locations.
- Inspect engines before and after use to ensure proper operation.
- Apply and release hand brakes.
- Read switching instructions and daily car schedules to determine work to be performed, or receive orders from yard conductors.
Must have the ability to speak, write, read, hear and have good vision. Must be able to work outside in environmental conditions which at times include extreme heat or extreme cold. Must be able to wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) without restriction and pass any medical examination associated with the use of said PPE. The physical requirements for a switchman include the following: Lift 50 pounds floor to waist, push and pull 50 pounds horizontally, carry 20 pounds while walking, walk 3-10 miles per day, stand 4-8 hours per day, climb stairs, climb ladders, extend arms through normal range of motion while standing and squatting, support oneself on a ladder with two feet and one arm extended for up to 5 minutes.
18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.; stable work history with good references from past employers; pass a drug screen, physical, and background check; and speak fluent
About Us: Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) an SGS company is a growing company with a proud tradition of excellence in providing product handling, operations, and logistics support at major oil refineries, chemical plants, and storage terminals in the United States and Canada. We are leaders in tankering barges, operating docks, switching railcars, operating warehouses, and loading and unloading tank cars and tank trucks with a variety of oil products and chemicals. We offer competitive wages, advancement opportunities, and industry-leading training and safety programs. Our excellent benefits package helps employees and their families maintain health, save money, and prepare for the future. At PSC, we are a family-oriented company that fuels integrity, teamwork, and ambition. Our mission is to simply be the best at what we do and be recognized as the best.
Benefits: Key benefits and services offered (depending on eligibility) include affordable options for medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; matching 401(k) plan; employee discounts; industry-leading training and leadership development programs; paid sick leave, vacations, and holidays; safety incentives and bonuses; and much more.
Department/Job Function: Operations
Reporting to: Plant Supervisor or Plant Superintendent, SGS PSC
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Non-exempt
Hourly or Salary: Hourly
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We're proud of the reputation we’ve earned for quality service and taking care of our employees. That has been and will always be at the heart of our mission “to be the best at what we do.”
An EOE/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability Employer
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!