Dfpc-Pqts Training Officer Supervisor
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO CURRENT STATE OF COLORADO RESIDENTS ONLY
Our Mission - Engaged employees working together to safeguard lives and to provide diverse public safety services to local communities.
Our Vision - Creating safer and more resilient communities across Colorado.
Our Core Values – Unity, Honor, Service
Visit our website to learn more about the work we do to keep Colorado safe!
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Colorado Department of Public Safety (CDPS) consists of five Divisions: Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Colorado State Patrol (CSP), Division of Criminal Justice (DCJ), Division of Fire Prevention and Control (DFPC), and the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (DHSEM). The Executive Director's Office (EDO) provides administrative and management services to the operating divisions of the department.
DIVISION OF FIRE PREVENTION AND CONTROL
The mission of the Colorado Division of Fire Prevention and Control (DFPC) is to serve and safeguard the people and protect the property, resources, environment, and quality of life in Colorado. Each of the programs described below supports the Division's mission in various ways, including through code enforcement, wildfire preparedness and suppression, training and certification programs, public information and education, or technical assistance to local governments.
* Wildfire Management Program - provides technical assistance to local governments and manages wildfires that exceed the capacity of local agencies.
* Health Facility Construction and Inspection Program - ensures that licensed health facilities comply with fire and life safety codes, issues building permits, and performs inspections.
* Public School and Junior College Construction and Inspection Program - ensures that public schools and junior colleges comply with building and fire codes by conducting plan reviews and inspections or certifying local plan reviewers and inspectors.
* Certification Programs - administers certification programs for firefighters, hazardous material emergency responders, medical first responders, fire sprinkler fitters, and others.
* Colorado All-Risk Incident Reporting System - administers a statewide reporting system for fires and related incidents.
* Emergency Services Responder Education and Training - provides training for emergency service responders.
* Center of Excellence - researches, tests, and evaluates new technologies related to aerial firefighting.
* Fire Suppression Program - ensures that fire sprinkler systems are properly installed and maintained.
* Colorado Fireworks Act - establishes minimum standards for the sale and use of fireworks.
* Fire Safety in Limited Gaming Establishments - establishes minimum building and fire safety standards for limited gaming establishments.
* Regulation of Reduced Ignition Propensity Cigarettes - enforces flammability standards on cigarettes.
* Regulation of Fire Safety in Waste Tire Facilities - creates rules for fire safety in waste tire facilities.
WHY JOIN US
* Our employees are proud of their work and believe their work is important and valued by the public.
* Our supervisors do a great job managing employees, providing clear expectations, treating employees with respect and providing timely feedback.
* We value a high work-life balance.
CDPS is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity of backgrounds and ideas.
In addition to rewarding meaningful work, we offer a competitive benefits package that includes:
* Excellent work-life programs, training, and professional development opportunities;
* Retirement benefits including PERA Defined Benefit Plan or PERA Defined Contribution Plan plus 401K and 457 plans;
* Medical and dental options (for permanent employees and their dependents).
* Short and optional long-term disability coverage
* 10 paid holidays per year plus vacation and sick leave.
* Employee Assistance Program (C-SEAP) available in every region of the state.
* Subsidized RTD FlexPass and free parking at most work locations.
* Reduced college tuition (CSU Global, DeVry University, University of the Rockies)
* CDPS Tuition Reimbursement Program.
* Life insurance that includes legal resources and discounts.
For a complete review of the benefits we offer, please click on this link.
Description of Job
ABOUT THE WORK UNIT
The mission of the Colorado Division of Fire Prevention and Control (DFPC) is to serve and safeguard the people and protect the property, resources, environment, and quality of life in Colorado. The Division achieves this mission through its 5 Sections: Administration, Center of Excellence, Fire and Life Safety, Professional Qualifications and Training, and Wildland Fire Management.
The Professional Qualifications and Training (PQT) Section of DFPC is responsible for all DFPC education and training programs for firefighters, hazardous materials responders and emergency responders. The section proctors and scores all certification examinations for the state's firefighter, hazardous materials responders, and emergency medical responders. The section maintains the database of certifications for the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) and National Board of Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board). The section also issues licenses for fireworks display operator and pyrotechnicians.
The Training Officer Supervisor is responsible for supervising the regional training officers in each of the four quadrants of the state and designing and implementing strategies and processes for training and education aspects of fire suppression, hazardous materials, fire prevention, specialized rescue operations, and other related topics. Position provides technical assistance, consultation and training to fire service personnel on a statewide basis.
The position will assist in the development, delivery, coordination and tracking of multiple DFPC and cooperator trainings and exercises. The position is supervised by the Chief of the PQT Section of DFPC. This position will also serve to ensure Division compliance with all Department wide training programs required by the Governor's Office, HR and the Compliance Section. This position will also work to identify, procure and administer an internal records management system to track DFPC personnel's certification, run reports and exposure information
PQT Training Program Oversight
* Determines how to meet the objectives of the DFPC's Strategic Plan as it applies to training.
* Establishes criteria for priority development of annual statewide training calendar for delivery of training services that make use of classroom, blended, and distance learning approaches.
* Establishes criteria for priority development of annual statewide training calendar for delivery of psychomotor fire, driver-operator and hazardous materials response training props.
* Applies adult learning theory, conceptual models, and professional standards to improve the design, development, delivery, and evaluation of emergency preparedness and response training materials.
* Develops state guidance to assist stakeholders with training delivery.
* Designs data collection & review procedures as well as analyzes data to determine quality of training delivery and compliance with learning objectives.
* Attends state, and regional meetings representing DFPC?
* Writes technical narratives for grant applications and reporting documents.
* Coordinates with financial services and Grants Manager to ensure compliance with reporting requirements and prompt and applicable payments are made to vendors.
Training and Equipment Needs Assessment, Strategic Planning, and Evaluation
* Evaluate the effectiveness of current training programs using surveys, questionnaires, interviews and by observation.
* Identify gaps in training to plan future courses or to amend existing ones.
* Obtain information on internal and external courses, prepare reports on their suitability and make recommendations.
* Prepare, administer and conduct training assessments.
* Assist in developing training to meet the needs of internal and external stakeholders.
Program Personnel Oversight
* Monitors individual work performance of subordinates and sets expectations.
* Determines individual performance objectives for staff for the annual PMP.
* Determines what corrective action is necessary to address performance shortfalls.
* Determines when recognition is appropriate for staff.
* Decisions comport with CDPS policy/procedure and State Personnel Rules.
Internal Section-Wide Training Officer
* Determines the individual member training requirements for all DFPC staff.
* Monitors individual training compliance and reports activities to appropriate supervisors.
* Administrate the access rights to supervisors and users of the identified records management system.
* Monitor training record activity uploaded to the internal employee record management system.
Other Duties as Assigned
* The position may be assigned other duties to meet the goals of DFPC.
* 25% travel and training in the field
* 75% office work
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE)
* Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in any field of study AND four (4) years of professional experience in a structural firefighting that included training experience.
* Additional appropriate experience will substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND/OR SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
* Documented training and supervisory experience.
* Must be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the field of structural firefighting and
hazardous materials response.
* Must demonstrate successful management of a structural fire training program and training personnel.
* DFPC certified Fire Officer I, Hazardous Materials Awareness/Operation (or Operations) in Colorado.
* Current CDL HazMat license preferred.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
* Current valid driver's license at time of hire, and must obtain a Colorado-issued driver's license within 6 months of hire.
* Applicant must be willing to be fingerprinted, successfully pass a polygraph, drug screen, and a medical physical exam as a condition of hire.
* Must maintain an Arduous Fitness Level rating throughout entire employment period.
* Ability to operate motor vehicles and to travel 25% of the time throughout the state of Colorado in a variety of weather conditions.
* Must be willing to be on an on-call duty status for troubleshooting with training props on weekends and evenings.
* Must be willing to be exposed to IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health) atmosphere during live-fire training and during wildfire response activities.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging. Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb. A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
Any person with a disability as defined by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) may be provided a reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to complete an employment assessment. To request an accommodation, please contact CDPS Human Resources at 303-239-4427 or CDPS_HR@state.co.us at least five business days before the assessment date to allow us to evaluate your request and prepare for the accommodation. You may be asked to provide additional information, including medical documentation, regarding functional limitations and type of accommodation needed. Please ensure that you have this information available well in advance of the assessment date.
Complete Applications must include the following documents:
* A complete CDPS Application for Announced Vacancy (please submit online using the link in this announcement)
* A complete Supplemental Questionnaire (must submit online as part of your application)
* A copy of your official or unofficial transcript showing that your degree has been conferred and the name of your school or your NACES accreditation
* Detailed, Chronological Resume
* A Cover Letter
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY - RECRUITMENT TIMELINE INFORMATION
* Applications are considered complete and accurate at the time of submission. Therefore, additional information may not be solicited or accepted after your application has been received.
* All applications that are received by the closing of this announcement will be reviewed against the Minimum Qualifications in this announcement. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications may proceed to the next step. Colorado Revised Statutes require that state employees are hired and promoted based on merit and fitness through a comparative analysis process.
* If you are a military veteran you must submit a copy of your DD-214, Member 4 Copy, and VA disability letter if available/applicable at the time of application so we can determine if you are eligible for veteran's preference points. Military personnel who are stationed outside of Colorado may be eligible for this position by submitting the completed DD-2058 "State of Legal Residence" form.
* Interviews are tentatively scheduled for late September 2019 beginning of October 2019.
POST JOBS FOR FREE