Composing Room Machinist Job Description Sample
Manufacturing Tool Room Machinist
Manufacturing Tool Room Machinist-Carbide Die Finisher
61 Barnes Industrial Park North, Wallingford, CT 06492
Full-Time Shift(s): Monday - Friday 6AM - 2:30PM OR 2:30PM - 11:00PM
Working as Full-Time Manufacturing Tool Room Machinist-Carbide Die Finisher, you will be responsible for making, altering and repairing a wide range of carbide dies and integrated parts generally for use on heading machines.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
o Planning and performing a variety of roughing out, boring, facing, turning, lapping, finishing and grinding operations to make, alter and repair carbide dies and integrated parts
o Fabricating special tools for the Research and Development department
o Setting up and operating bench lathe for precise and difficult machining using diamond, diamond dust and paste, or other abrasive materials
o Selecting, installing and adjusting tool compounds and tail stock and making necessary brass arbors and laps
o Checking work with fixed and adjustable measuring instruments to maintain very close tolerances and make necessary adjustments to ensure conformance with specifications
o Instructing and/or assisting employees and other operators as needed
o Following all safety rules and regulations
REQUIRED POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
The following skills and qualifications are required for this position:
o 18 yeas of age or over
o Prior experience working with machinery and tooling
o Desire to continuously improve the manufacturing process
o Excellent written and oral communication skills
o Strong math aptitude
o Highly motivated, self-directed, and customer service oriented
o Demonstrate strong attention to detail
o Possess an excellent safety record
o Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
o Strong organization, planning, and prioritizing abilities
o Ability to work alone as well as in a team environment
o Strong problem solving and deductive reasoning skills
o Ability to work overtime as the workload increases
o Demonstrate our core values of ambition, innovation, integrity and teamwork
o Ability to lift, slide, and lower packages that typically weigh 75lbs
o Ability to pass the required drug screen (applicable in the US, Puerto Rico, and Guam ONLY)
PREFERRED POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
o Prior experience working with carbide.
Since 1967 Fastenal has grown as a distributor of industrial and construction supplies from a single branch to approximately 3,000 servicing locations, each providing tailored local inventory and personal service for our customers. As we've expanded across the world, we've retained a core belief in people and their ability to accomplish remarkable things - if given the opportunity. From this philosophy stems an entrepreneurial culture that challenges every employee to run their own business, create their own success, and advance to become company leaders.
As a growth company with a solid financial position, we are committed to training, promoting from within, and creating opportunities for our employees. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and are looking to make your mark as part of an elite growth company, you won't find a better fit than Fastenal.
Tool Room Machinist
We're are looking for an experienced hands-on candidate who wants to expand their career in precision tool and die making with an award winning manufacturing organization. You need to have hands on experience in a tool room, we will train and mentor right individuals as well. We do want someone who wants to grow their career, not just a job.
We're a well-established successful company with a strong history of success. If you're interested in working for a company that offers you career advancement and training, we're the place you're looking for.
What you will do as a Tool and Die Machinist:
- Build dies and tools
- Work with high speed stamping machines
- Troubleshoot and repair existing dies and equipment
- Work in accordance with all Company procedures
- Other tasks as assigned
What you will need as a Tool and Die Machinist:
- 5+ year of experience working with tools and die
- High speed stamping die making experience
- Tool room working experience
- Quality Control knowledge is a plus
What you will get as a Tool and Die Machinist:
- Competitive Pay
- health, dental, vision
- Career growth potential
- Excellent work schedule
- 401 K
- generous vacation time and sick days
If you're a Tool Room Machinist with tool and die making experience, please apply today!
Tool Room Machinist
Work Location : Portland, OR
Functional Area : Manufacturing
Number of Openings : 2
Current Openings : 2.00
Blount International, Inc. has an exceptional Tool Room Machinist opportunity at our headquarters in Portland, Oregon.
We are committed to excellence in our people, products, performance, and profits. We believe our team members are the foundation of our Company's success, and we are committed to continuous improvement and learning, exceptional quality, connecting with our customer, and good relationships with our team members.
The successful candidate will provide technical support and tooling maintenance services for the blanking and heading operations of Chain, Sprockets, ICS and Accessories.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Participate in the design, build, and operation of new tooling
Troubleshoot problem tooling
Maintain, sharpen and repair tooling
Troubleshoot press and header/die problems
Investigate and eliminate special causes of variation within the banking and heading process
Provide technical support for training process improvement activities
Recondition tooling components
Precision surface grind die components
Polish and lap die components
Precision measure die components
Maintain department equipment and records
Monitor & replace coolant
Accurate record keeping
Perform press set-up function
Capable of performing tedious tasks
High school diploma or GED required.
Must demonstrate the ability to complete a minimum of 30 credit hours in Machine Technology.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIRED:
Punch press setup/operate conventional and/or high-speed punch press
Header setup and operational skills
The ability to pay close attention to detail
General machining knowledge
Familiar in the use of precision gauges and measuring equipment
Respectable communication skills
Able to complete responsibilities in a timely, professional and quality manner
Solve problems analytically; search out relevant information and gauge its importance when making decisions
Effective written and oral communication skills; able to express oneself clearly and in technical and non-technical terms
Collaborative and effective team player and able to work with teams who are globally dispersed
Set a good example of personal integrity
Demonstrate ability and willingness to learn; seek out development activities to improve skills and increase knowledge; learn from other team members and own mistakes
Take initiative, seek and act on opportunities to improve organization performance
Ability to translate specific goals into action and follow through to achieve goals
Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel) and data management software (SAP preferred)
- Must be available for all of the following shifts (rotating shift schedule):
Day shift: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Swing shift: 4:00 p.m. to midnight
Graveyard shift: Midnight to 7:30 a.m.
Or when assigned to a special shift determined by department needs
ABOUT BLOUNT INTERNATIONAL, INC:
Blount is a global manufacturer and marketer of replacement parts, equipment, and accessories for consumers and professionals operating primarily in two market segments: Forestry, Lawn, and Garden ("FLAG"); and Farm, Ranch, and Agriculture ("FRAG"). Blount also sells products in the construction markets and is the market leader in saw chain and guide bars for chain saws. We also supply original equipment manufacturers (OEM) with cutting attachments.
Blount offers products under the brand names of OREGON®, Carlton®, Woods®, KOX, SpeeCo®, ICS®, and Pentruder. For more information, visit www.blount.com.
Blount will only employ those who are legally authorized to work. Any offer of employment is contingent on the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
Tool Room Machinist
Do you love challenging, hands-on work that lets you learn about, operate, repair and maintain machines? Do you enjoy active work in a fast-paced environment with a focus on manufacturing processes? If so, we think our team would be a great fit for you!
The role of the tooling manager includes but is not limited to: Maintain, change over inserts, modify, and repair injection molds, tools and fixtures. Clean and inspect molds. Manage major mold repairs, tool and part inventory, and setup technicians.
Must have Tool & Die experience as well as hands on experience with lathes, milling machines, surface grinders, micrometers, and general shop/machinist tools. Proficient with Microsoft software strongly preferred. CNC mill, Cad/Cam, welding, and supervisor experience a plus.
- Learn, understand and follow company requirements for employee safety, product quality and productivity.
- Direct, plan and control work of tool room techs and set up techs. Assigns work and supervises departmental staff.
- Schedule and prioritize department workload appropriate to deadlines and production breakdowns with support of Plant Manager.
- Maintains tools and machines as required for proper operation.
- Work with various thermos-plastic & thermoset materials as well as forgings, cstings, plate, rod, tube of iron, steel, brass, copper, etc.
- Design jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products
- Read blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Help maintain inventory of all necessary bolts, pins, O-rings, tools and other tooling and order as needed.
- Monitors tooling log
- Look for and suggest ways to improve equipment and processes.
- Actively involved in the continuous improvement of set up and tooling department.
- Understanding of all areas outlined on our Skills Checklist.
All types of machine tools and measuring equipment appropriate to the manufacture, repair, and upgrading of tools and equipment. Tools include engine lathes, vertical mills, surface grinders, welders, EDM machine, CNC, radial drill press, and band saws. Measuring equipment includes calipers, micrometers, scales, indicators, height gauges, etc.
Tool Room Machinist
2nd Shift Available
To maintain high quality tooling through preventative maintenance, minor repair, and visual evaluation.
Must be a team player and educate and share ideals when needed.
Read and understand tooling work orders and follow instructions.
Responsible for the correct disassembly and assembly molds in a safe and timely manner.
Able to clean molds and assist Maintenance Technicians when needed.
Work to a schedule and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
Utilize measuring equipment that include micrometers, calipers, height gage, bore micrometers, etc.
Assist in the monitoring process to help keep a reasonable component inventory in stock.
Reduce machine downtime.
Maintain all tools and equipment that are used including the daily cleaning of tool room machinery.
Assist in maintaining maintenance records on the company computer system.
Work with little or no supervision when given clear direction.
Work with Process Engineer to trouble shoot issues with tool or improve on.
Be able to work on the production floor with tool in press to correct any issue to keep down time at a minimum.
Able to operate a Surface grinder with in a + or - .0002 on critical details.
Able to operate a Bridgeport/Lathe with in a + or - .001 tolerance.
Able to run a EDM machine. Knowledge of hydraulic systems.
Knowledge of Manifold systems Example: Mold Master, Senventive, Osco and etc.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent.
5 to 8 years of hands on experience in a tool room involving plastic injection mold repair or mold maintenance.
3 to 5 years of experience using hand operated tool room equipment.
Knowledge and understanding of mold and die components.
Ability to read and understand tooling work orders
Good verbal and written communication skills.
Basic computer skills.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Machinist / Hobbing Machinist
Immediate need for a Machinist / Hobbing Machinist that has experience setting up and running manual gear hobbing equipment. We will work with the right candidate to teach them our specific equipment if they know the principles of gear cutting and there are many opportunities for advancement within this ISO 9001 certified company.
If you are an experienced Gear Cutting / Hobbing Machinist and would like an opportunity to become a successful member of our team and be part of a long-established company with a nice work environment and excellent benefits, please reply to this listing.
Benefit Package for the Machinist / Hobbing Machinist candidate includes:
- Full Benefits including: health insurance, paid holidays, 401k, paid time-off, and a pension.
- This is a “direct-hire” opportunity and not a “contract-to-hire” or “temp” position.
- Starting Wage: Most machinist average between $36,000 - $48,000 a year.
Basic Duties for the Machinist / Hobbing Machinist include:
- Set-up and run various manual gear cutting equipment for either Bevel or parallel axis gears in preparation for heat treat.
- Use gauges, calipers and mics to inspect equipment at set-up and throughout the run to assure the gear teeth conform to customer specifications and engineering requirements.
- Sharpen gear hobs as required to produce proper tooth configurations.
- Perform necessary inspections to ensure they comply with customer drawings and specifications.
- Work with company to suggest process and tooling changes to improved efficiency.
- Maintain a neat and clean work area.
Qualifications and skills required for the Machinist / Hobbing Machinist position:
- High School diploma or equivalency is required
- The ideal candidate will have 2+ years’ experience setting up and using various gear cutting equipment preferably manual gear cutting / hobbing machines.
- Good mechanical ability and with good shop math skills.
- Ability to read blueprints and follow Customer and Engineering requirements.
- Previous experience using all appropriate measuring devices.
- Ability to learn while training with one of our senior machinist.
Mold Making Machinist
Job Number: 3886
Job Title: Mold Making Machinist
Location: Des Moines, IA
Relocation Available: No, the candidate must be local
Our client, located in Des Moines, Iowa, is currently seeking to fill the position of Mold Making Machinist. For the candidate who possesses their requirements, they are eager for this individual to join their team.
This Company has exciting opportunities for Machinists to join Company's talented, dedicated and growing team! This person will complete assigned engineering tasks as needed to build components for engineering projects. Use various machining techniques to produce a quality plastic part that meets the requirements of the customer and provide tooling support.
- High School education coursework or GED. A Two-year Tool & Die Degree or four years of experience in tooling or mold making preferred.
- Experience using tools such as metal saws, mills, grinders and lathes.
- Knowledge of Windows based CAD programs such as Master cam, AutoCAD and Solid Works.
- Interest in 3rd Shift.
- Clean and maintain production tools and molds.
- Build components for new tools, existing tools and molds through the use of tool room equipment, using designs created by the engineering department. Read and interpret plans from paper drawings or computer files.
- Using toolmakers scope, measures, examines, diagnoses and trouble-shoots existing molds to make improvements or corrections repairs.
- Work with project leaders to ensure that projects are finished quickly and precisely.
- Ability to operate personal computer.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and utilize instructions and short correspondence with professionals. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratios, percent and use trigonometry. Ability to read and understand complicated designs and drawings.
The Journeyman Machinist is in charge of machining components by setting up and operating a variety of Machine tools to produce precision parts, mold components, fixturing and instruments made from Tool Steel, Tungsten Carbide, and Ceramic materials
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments, such as micrometers, indicators, and dial calipers
- Set up and operate machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, grinders, electrical discharge machines, and CNC equipment to machine parts and fixturing
- Measure, examine, and test completed units to detect and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments such as micrometers and indicators
- Set up, adjust, and operate all of the basic machine tools and many specialized equipment in order to perform precision machining operations
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories and materials onto machines
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering information to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products
- Set up and operate metalworking, brazing, heat treating and cutting equipment
- Fabricate components for molds and tooling to engineering drawings
- Fix and assemble parts to make or repair molds
- Develop fixturing and prototype from general descriptions for specialty tools
- Utilize conventional and optical measurement equipment to verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances
- Lift machined parts and positions and secures parts on surface plate or worktables
- Completion of Machinist apprentice programs OR 5-10 years of related experience and/or training- equivalent mix of both is accepted as well
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical specifications and drawings
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of Manager, Engineers, and Production Personnel
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Must have EXCELLENT English speaking, reading, and writing skills and have the ability to clearly communicate in English and have the ability to follow verbal and written instruction.
- Have a minimum of 5 years of experience on CNC Turning centers
- Must be capable of efficiently setting up and programming our FANUC controlled 2,3, and 6 axis CNC turning centers, and running of production of parts on equipment.
- Must be capable of creating and editing programs as needed.
- Must be able to use common shop measuring equipment.
- Must be able to read, interpret, and work from engineering prints, drawings, and sketches.
- Have basic computer skills.
- Have excellent math skills (Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry)
- Be able inspect and be responsible for the quality of your own work.
- Must be a team player.
- Be flexible and multi-tasking.
- A sense of humor is appreciated
- Knowledge of gear machining equipment setup a plus, but not required.
- ISO9000 or AS9100 experience a plus.
- Experience on Live milling Lathes a plus.
- Gear cutting and inspection knowledge is a plus, but not required
1. 5+ years of experience on CNC lathes or Mills?
2. Experience setting up and programming multi axis lathes or mills?
3. Experience with Fanuc controls?
4. Able to read drawings and determine tooling geometry and set-up unsupervised?
5. Proficient in inspecting parts during processing to determine steps to meet requirements for conformance?
6. Local to San Gabriel, CA?
Lathe Mill Machinist
San Diego, CA
Contract to Hire
$20 - $25
Primary duties of the Lathe Mill Machinist is to set-up, verify, and operate CNC Lathes to machine complex parts to customer requirements & scheduling.
· Set-up of CNC Lathe including calibration of cutting tools and location of work offsets for single and multiple part production.
· Verification of CNC programs and, when required, operation of manual mills and lathes.
· Completion of all applicable paperwork (ISO 9001:2008 standards).
· Dimensional and visual inspections for first piece and in-process manufacturing.
· Programming of lathe
· Maintaining cleanliness of the work area and proper handling of tools, equipment, and stock.
· 3-5 years CNC manufacturing & machining experience.
· Must have sound knowledge of feeds and speeds
· Must work to close tolerances.
· Must be proficient with complicated prints.
· Familiar with CNC programming codes.
· Must be able to follow written instructions and to work with little supervision.
· Must have sufficient English communication skills to understand verbal and written instructions, communicate with other employees, and follow directions
· Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
· Must have own standard CNC machinist tools.
· Report to work on time daily / O.T. may be required
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!