Composing Room Machinist Job Description Sample
Tool Room Machinist
To machine forged tooling as designated on prints. The ability to program and operate CNC and manual equipment.
*Knowledge of all machine shop equipment: CNC lathes.
*Program and operation of Conversational CNC Lathe, Mazak preferred.
*Ability to use hand tools and precision measuring equipment.
*Troubleshoot equipment, replace inserts, check the accuracy of the parts being produced using the CMM or manually.
*The ability to use basic knowledge of the working properties of metals for different types of machining.
*Select the proper tools used for the job, plan the sequence of cutting and finishing operations.
*Determine the proper speeds and feeds for all cutting applications.
*Clocking in and out of our Plexus tracking system for each job.
Experience with Conversational Controller Programming is required.
Skills and Abilities Required:
Ability to read blueprints, know basic trigonometry.
Journeyman’s card or proven 8 years of experience on the job training.
Education: minimum high school diploma and trade school experience
Physical Requirements:Ability to handle up to 250 lbs. with overhead crane assistance. Standing for long periods of time in one position. Walking frequently between machinery.
Safety: Knowledge of proper lifting techniques. General machine safety. Knowledge of lock out-tag out procedures.
Behavior: The capability to communicate frequently with supervisor, peers, and suppliers. The ability to work well with others in a team environment.
Hourly Union Position – Afternoon Shift
Hourly Rate: $27.33
Tool Room Machinist
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Toolroom Machinist is responsible for the set-up and operation of manual and CNC machine tools such as, Lathes, Mills, Drill Presses, O.D. & Surface Grinders, Saws, and must be able to perform Heat Treating functions of common tool steels.
Our Toolrooms are learning environments where sharing knowledge is valued and expected from every employee.
Set-up and operation of 3 & 4-Axis CNC machinery such as, Lathes, Machining Centers, Wire EDM, and Broach Grinders to machine metallic and nonmetallic workpieces.
Die set-up and prep, use of all types of micrometers, caliper, test-indicators, and edge-finders.
Read blueprints/production drawings and job orders for product specifications.
Performs loading of cutting tools and CNC offsets, indicate workpiece, and establish Work offsets/part origin.
Modify and create CNC programs at the machine as needed / performs entire set-ups in the cell.
Perform critical measuring and inspection of the work produced to ensure quality of close tolerance procedures.
Work with Lead and/or Supervisor on scheduling work to machines and perform daily, weekly, and monthly TPM.
Follow 5s program daily and maintain a safe, clean, and organized work area.
Communicate with Team Lead and/or Supervisor and follow cell priorities.
Follow all safety guidelines including proper PPE and situational awareness.
HS Diploma/GED Equivalent
Vocational Trade School or equivalent preferred
Work Experience Required:
- 5+ years prior experience in a manufacturing facility
- 3+ years of demonstrated CNC machining experience, programming preferred
Skills & Knowledge Required:
Ability to read, write, and comprehend work instructions, short correspondence and memos
Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure including whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Must be able to compute geometry and trigonometry and set-up a Sine Bar or Sine Plate.
Computer proficiency including use of Microsoft Office
Additional Traits and Competencies:
Desire to learn and share knowledge
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Regularly required to stand, walk, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, and use hands
Required to lift and/or move 10 lbs. regularly and up to 33 lbs. occasional
Use of vision including peripheral, color, distance, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, strong fumes and loud noises
Occasionally exposed to extreme temperatures
Tool Room Machinist
Do you love challenging, hands-on work that lets you learn about, operate, repair and maintain machines? Do you enjoy active work in a fast-paced environment with a focus on manufacturing processes? If so, we think our team would be a great fit for you!
The role of the tooling manager includes but is not limited to: Maintain, change over inserts, modify, and repair injection molds, tools and fixtures. Clean and inspect molds. Manage major mold repairs, tool and part inventory, and setup technicians.
Must have Tool & Die experience as well as hands on experience with lathes, milling machines, surface grinders, micrometers, and general shop/machinist tools. Proficient with Microsoft software strongly preferred. CNC mill, Cad/Cam, welding, and supervisor experience a plus.
- Learn, understand and follow company requirements for employee safety, product quality and productivity.
- Direct, plan and control work of tool room techs and set up techs. Assigns work and supervises departmental staff.
- Schedule and prioritize department workload appropriate to deadlines and production breakdowns with support of Plant Manager.
- Maintains tools and machines as required for proper operation.
- Work with various thermos-plastic & thermoset materials as well as forgings, cstings, plate, rod, tube of iron, steel, brass, copper, etc.
- Design jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products
- Read blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Help maintain inventory of all necessary bolts, pins, O-rings, tools and other tooling and order as needed.
- Monitors tooling log
- Look for and suggest ways to improve equipment and processes.
- Actively involved in the continuous improvement of set up and tooling department.
- Understanding of all areas outlined on our Skills Checklist.
All types of machine tools and measuring equipment appropriate to the manufacture, repair, and upgrading of tools and equipment. Tools include engine lathes, vertical mills, surface grinders, welders, EDM machine, CNC, radial drill press, and band saws. Measuring equipment includes calipers, micrometers, scales, indicators, height gauges, etc.
Tool Room Machinist
2nd Shift Available
To maintain high quality tooling through preventative maintenance, minor repair, and visual evaluation.
Must be a team player and educate and share ideals when needed.
Read and understand tooling work orders and follow instructions.
Responsible for the correct disassembly and assembly molds in a safe and timely manner.
Able to clean molds and assist Maintenance Technicians when needed.
Work to a schedule and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
Utilize measuring equipment that include micrometers, calipers, height gage, bore micrometers, etc.
Assist in the monitoring process to help keep a reasonable component inventory in stock.
Reduce machine downtime.
Maintain all tools and equipment that are used including the daily cleaning of tool room machinery.
Assist in maintaining maintenance records on the company computer system.
Work with little or no supervision when given clear direction.
Work with Process Engineer to trouble shoot issues with tool or improve on.
Be able to work on the production floor with tool in press to correct any issue to keep down time at a minimum.
Able to operate a Surface grinder with in a + or - .0002 on critical details.
Able to operate a Bridgeport/Lathe with in a + or - .001 tolerance.
Able to run a EDM machine. Knowledge of hydraulic systems.
Knowledge of Manifold systems Example: Mold Master, Senventive, Osco and etc.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent.
5 to 8 years of hands on experience in a tool room involving plastic injection mold repair or mold maintenance.
3 to 5 years of experience using hand operated tool room equipment.
Knowledge and understanding of mold and die components.
Ability to read and understand tooling work orders
Good verbal and written communication skills.
Basic computer skills.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Interpret blue prints, set-up, build and inspect or maintain parts in the tool room environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Proficient at operating tool room manual machines to specified tolerances.
Produces prototype and sample products. Required knowledge of steels, stresses, and materials.
Ability to see and compare slight differences in shape, size, etc., of objects.
Responsible for good housekeeping of work area and equipment.
Responsible for reporting any indications of needed maintenance.
Must be able to use precision measuring equipment (micrometers, calipers, etc.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or G.E.D. Completed technical school courses inmachining preferred.
Certified Journeyman Machinist preferred. Requiresuse of advanced shop math, complicated drawings, and a wide variety of precision measuring instruments. Over 1year of experience with certificate from approved Technical school or 3 – 5 years experience operating manual machines without certificate or may be direct hire from our facility.
Requires the use of considerable judgment to plan, layout, and perform work of an unusual and difficult nature where only general methods
and trade practices are available. Machining operations of complex parts where considerable study is required to determine the best sequence of operations, to select the machines and tools to perform the operations or to modify existing tools and equipment to do the job.
BAE Systems is hiring Outside Machinist 3rd class to support the Norfolk Ship Repair facility.
The Third Class Mechanic performs a variety of skilled mechanical duties involving deck machinery, engine room work, general dock, rudders, shafting, propeller work, and testing. The Third Class Mechanic will have general knowledge of equipment operation for assembly, installation and testing; records work performed and follows specified safety policies and procedures.
This list is representative of the key areas of responsibility and functional knowledge required of a third class mechanic in the Outside Machinist shop. A third class mechanic must demonstrate a developing knowledge of the skills, functional knowledge and abilities required to perform tasks in these and related areas of responsibility.
Developing knowledge means that the mechanic understands how to perform tasks in these categories (including, but not limited to, the specific tasks identified below) and is able to complete them with minimal assistance. This also means that the mechanic has the necessary level of knowledge of the equipment, protective gear, and machinery required to complete these tasks. In some cases, as specified, the third class mechanic is expected to assist, rather than completing the task independently.
General Machinist Knowledge
Use of measuring devices (rulers, micrometers, dial indicators, depth mics, scales, etc.)
Use of trade hand tools
Use of power tools (electric drills, saws, grinders, drill presses, etc.)
Read basic blueprints
Care and protection of customer equipment to include wrapping and protection equipment with various materials (wood, plastic, rubber, etc.)
Stationary and Portable Power Tool Operation (1 of the following)
Identify the different types of valves to include safety valves, globe valves, gate valves, etc.
Learning about the applications of different valve types and understand what systems it is defined for
Understand the operation valves
Assist with removal and replacement
Assist with repairing and general overhaul
Reach Rods/ Valve Operators
Learning about the different types of rods and valve operators
Understand the different parts to include rods, universal joint, hand wheels, etc.
Understand the different types and usage of reach rods and valve operators
Assist with setting reach rods and valve operators up for operation
Learning about pump overhauls and parts
Assist with the removal and installation
Basic knowledge about the alignment process to include one of the following:
Face and rim
Indicator Revers method
Basic knowledge about the application and parts of the following types of deck machinery:
Sliding Pad Eye
Assist with repair, cleaning, removal, and installation of deck machinery
Work with rudders and how they operate
Understand rudder parts
Assist with rudder removal and installation
Know parts of a shaft (liners, journals, etc.)
Assist with the removal, installation and repairs of the shaft
Line Shaft Bearings
Knowledge of line shaft bearings
Assist with the removal, repair and installation of line shaft bearings
Know the differences between the types of propellers (Fixed and Variable Pitched)
Knowledgeable regarding the parts of a propeller
Repair, removal, installation and testing of propellers
Controllable Pitch Propeller Systems
Becoming familiar with the systems operations and parts
Assist with repair, installation and testing
Kelly Services is currently seeking an experienced HAAS Machinist for a local Fort Myers company. If you are interested in this position, please contact our office at 239-936-0086
Great opportunity with room for advancement and raises once hired on. Co. has an excellent benefit package.
At Kelly Services®, we work with the best. Our clients include 95 of the Fortune 100™ companies, and more than 70,000 hiring managers rely on Kelly annually to access the best talent to drive their business forward. If you only make one career connection today, connect with Kelly.
About Kelly Services®
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world and have a role in connecting thousands more with work through our global network of talent suppliers and partners. Revenue in 2017 was $5.4 billion. Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.
Understands and follows company safety requirements while maintaining a clean safe work environment. Strive for continual improvement within all areas of responsibility. Good interpersonal skills to communicate with co-workers and management personnel. Perform additional duties assigned by management.
- Report any potential hazard, accident and or injuries to supervisor immediately.
- Dependable Attendance, maintain accurate job times by clocking in and out of all jobs using company software.
- Complete knowledge of the proper operation of all tools and equipment necessary to preform job duties.
- Proper completion of the required department certifications before taking on any new task.
- Knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties and machining procedures.
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances, knowledge of mathematics and instruments indicators micrometers and calipers.
- Knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties and machining procedures.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments accessories and work items onto machines.
- Ability to calculate the optimal feed and speed requirements of cutting tools for all machining processes.
- Perform required machining / inspection procedures of selected components within standard timelines.
- Own the personal tooling required for job duties (instruments, wrenches, screwdrivers etc..).
- Serve as a check point for quality on all parts. If deficiencies are found immediately report them to supervisor.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 Years of Community College and or Vocational Trade School. Some on the job training is available.
- Ability to follow company instructions and procedures.
- Ability to operate equipment and systems necessary to perform job duties.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with fellow employees and management.
- Ability to read and comprehend and write for completion of reporting requirements.
- Ability to train others, in processes and procedures as requested.
- Must have EXCELLENT English speaking, reading, and writing skills and have the ability to clearly communicate in English and have the ability to follow verbal and written instruction.
- Have a minimum of 5 years of experience on CNC Turning centers
- Must be capable of efficiently setting up and programming our FANUC controlled 2,3, and 6 axis CNC turning centers, and running of production of parts on equipment.
- Must be capable of creating and editing programs as needed.
- Must be able to use common shop measuring equipment.
- Must be able to read, interpret, and work from engineering prints, drawings, and sketches.
- Have basic computer skills.
- Have excellent math skills (Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry)
- Be able inspect and be responsible for the quality of your own work.
- Must be a team player.
- Be flexible and multi-tasking.
- A sense of humor is appreciated
- Knowledge of gear machining equipment setup a plus, but not required.
- ISO9000 or AS9100 experience a plus.
- Experience on Live milling Lathes a plus.
- Gear cutting and inspection knowledge is a plus, but not required
1. 5+ years of experience on CNC lathes or Mills?
2. Experience setting up and programming multi axis lathes or mills?
3. Experience with Fanuc controls?
4. Able to read drawings and determine tooling geometry and set-up unsupervised?
5. Proficient in inspecting parts during processing to determine steps to meet requirements for conformance?
6. Local to San Gabriel, CA?
Must have previous experience as a CNC Machinist in a machine shop.
Must be proficient at setting up and working unsupervised.
Comfortable with Fanuc, Okuma, Haas and other controls
Possesses knowledge of various types of metals including castings & forgings.
Understands speeds/feeds used when cutting different materials including exotic alloys.
Knowledge of lean manufacturing principals is a plus.
Understands geometric tolerance along with being proficient at reading & understanding blueprints.
Must be comfortable/competent in making program changes at the machining centers.
Familiar with 6Sigma methodologies and principals is a plus.
Should have a general understanding of ISO9001/AS9100 quality systems.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!