Computer Hardware Engineer Job Description Sample
Computer Hardware Engineer
THE COMPANY: Nanometrics provides market-leading high-performance process control metrology and inspection systems used in the fabrication of semiconductors, high-brightness LEDs, data storage devices and solar photovoltaics. We are committed to teamwork and continuous improvement that allows us to outperform our competition with technology leadership and profitable growth.
Nanometrics' automated and integrated systems address numerous process control applications, including critical dimension and film thickness measurement, device topography, defect inspection, overlay registration, and analysis of various other film properties such as optical, electrical and material characteristics. The company's process control solutions are deployed throughout the fabrication process, from front-end-of-line substrate manufacturing to high-volume production of semiconductors and other devices, to advanced wafer-scale packaging applications.
Nanometrics' systems enable device manufacturers to improve yields, increase productivity and lower their manufacturing costs. Nanometrics has an extensive installed base of more than 6,500 systems in over 150 production factories worldwide. Our major customers and original equipment manufacturer partners include the largest semiconductor and process equipment manufacturers in the world.
Nanometrics was incorporated in California in 1975 and reincorporated in Delaware in 2006. Nanometrics has been publicly traded since 1984 and is listed on NASDAQ (NANO).
The Computer Hardware Engineer will be responsible for defining computer hardware requirements for Nanometrics' integrated and standalone metrology products, defining and managing BIOS and other critical settings, defining processes and procedures for computer configuration management.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The candidate shall have all of the following capabilities:
Troubleshooting of computer conflicts (PCI, IRQ conflicts, USB drops etc) with the low-level root cause
UEFI vs Legacy
Internal network setup and troubleshooting
Document IP addressing at a system level and put on system interconnect diagram
Memory leak identification
Basic computer troubleshooting (motherboard, RAM etc)
Windows optimization (desktop and server)
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows Server 2016
Performance monitoring experience
The candidate shall have some of the following capabilities:
SPI protocol troubleshooting
Dynamic Library conflicts
Ownership of "golden" computer setup (drivers, SW, settings) + procedures how to install/replace/setup
Experience with MFG image deployment
Microsoft Embedded Program
Windows update control
Data gathering over time
Next-gen computer selection
Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 10 64-bit
Industrial PC experience
Required Education and Experience:
Ability to systemically troubleshoot problems to root cause and identify and thoroughly test solutions
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Possess good interpersonal skills and willing to work in a team environment
BS or MS required in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
5 years of experience in computer hardware experience #LI-POST
Computer Hardware Engineer
How do you protect against those with bad intentions? You create innovative technical processing solutions and collaborate with some of the finest talent in the IT field. Whether you're an Information Systems Technologist or an Encryption Strategy Expert, at Raytheon you'll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you'll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life balance. If you're ready to take on today's big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
America's Best Large Employers by Forbes
Career & Development Opportunities
Entry, Mid, Senior
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
Raytheon is looking for an experienced Computer Hardware Engineer with an active TS/SCI clearance and polygraph
Research, design, develop, and test computer or computer-related equipment for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use. May supervise the manufacturing and installation of computer or computer-related equipment and components. Exclude "Computer Software Engineers, Applications" and "Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software". Hardware refers to computer chips, circuit boards, computer systems, and related equipment such as keyboards, modems, and printers.
Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities:
Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan layout, including type of computers and peripheral equipment modifications.
Analyze user needs and recommend appropriate hardware.
Assemble and modify existing pieces of equipment to meet special needs.
Build, test and modify product prototypes, using working models or theoretical models constructed using computer simulation.
Confer with engineering staff and consult specifications to evaluate interface between hardware and software and operational and performance requirements of overall system.
Design and develop computer hardware and support peripherals, including central processing units (CPUs), support logic, microprocessors, custom integrated circuits, and printers and disk drives.
Direct technicians, engineering designers or other technical support personnel as needed.
Evaluate factors such as reporting formats required, cost constraints, and need for security restrictions to determine hardware configuration.
Monitor functioning of equipment and make necessary modifications to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
Provide technical support to designers, marketing and sales departments, suppliers, engineers and other team members throughout the product development and implementation process.
Provide training and support to system designers and users.
Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, and humidity in area of system installation.
Select hardware and material, assuring compliance with specifications and product requirements.
Specify power supply requirements and configuration, drawing on system performance expectations and design specifications.
Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
Test and verify hardware and support peripherals to ensure that they meet specifications and requirements, analyzing and recording test data.
Update knowledge and skills to keep up with rapid advancements in computer technology.
Write detailed functional specifications that document the hardware development process and support hardware introduction.
Top Secret clearance with polygraph is required.
- Requires a minimum of six (6) years of experience
Required Education (including Major): Bachelors Degree in Technical / IT related field
General professional years of experience may be substituted for specialized years of experience at a ratio of three (3) years of general experience within an occupation for one (1) year of specialized experience. Relevant certifications will be considered equivalent to three (3) months of specialized experience. A degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or a scientific or technical discipline related to the specific skill.
- An Associate's degree will be considered equivalent to eighteen (18) months specialized experience.
- A Bachelor's degree will be considered equivalent to three (3) years specialized experience (total equivalency is not cumulative when combined with an Associate's degree).
- A Master's degree will be considered equivalent to two (2) years specialized experience (up to a total of five (5) years when combined with a Bachelor's).
- A will be considered equivalent to two (2) years specialized experience (up to a total of seven (7) years when combined with a Master's and a Bachelor's).
Please Note: This position can be classified as either an E03 or E04 dependent on the experience.
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services delivers innovative technology to make the world a safer place. Our expertise in cyber, analytics and automation allow us to reach beyond what others think is possible to underpin national security and give our global customers unique solutions to solve the most pressing modern challenges -- from the cyber domain to automated operations, and from intelligent transportation solutions to creating clear insight from large volumes of data. IIS operates at nearly 550 sites in 80 countries, and is headquartered in Dulles, Virginia. The business area generated approximately $6 billion in 2016 revenues. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
TS/SCI with Poly - Current
Computer/Management Information Systems
Type Of Job
VA - McLean
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Computer Hardware Support (Experienced)
What Your Job Will Be Like
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a diverse team that solves challenging security issues of national interest?
We are seeking an outstanding Computer Hardware Support Technologist to join our dynamic team.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
Serves as systems administrator and monitors the operation of desktop, personal, and server computer equipment and associated software. Performs hardware additions, changes, and upgrades.
This role plans, conducts, and coordinates desktop computer systems activities, including all associated systems.
Sets up personal computers and servers.
Responsible for systems administration and monitoring the operation of desktop and personal computer equipment and associated software.
Securing, upgrading, and ensuring the functionality of all services. Set up and troubleshoot networking in several operating systems as well as networked devices such as printers.
Qualifications We Require
You have an Associate's degree or 4 years of equivalent experience.
Your background includes familiarity with Windows Active Directory (AD) Organizational Unit (OU) and Group Policy Objects (GPO).
Your skillset includes familiarity with internet protocols, computer security, computer builds and network system administrator techniques.
Experience with the applications and tools to maintain networks and computers.
Ability to adhere to corporate policies and programs concerning information systems.
Qualifications We Desire
Ideally, we would like to see your background include some of the following:
You have a Bachelor's degree
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) Personal initiative, responsiveness, and attention to detail.
Ability and willingness to work in a team environment.
Ability to research, assemble, and evaluate information or data regarding computer operating systems and applications and provide practical solutions to complex issues.
Knowledge of information systems engineering tools and techniques, development, application, and management
Experience as a system administrator in server management and network administration
Ability to develop technical training aides
Experience as a system administrator in server management and network administration.
Experience with the applications and tools to maintain networks and computers.
Active DOE Q Security Clearance.
About Our Team
CIM is a Computer Integrated Manufacturing team supporting 5200 that provides agile, innovative, process-based IT solutions primarily for the Manufacturing support. Our vision is to provide continuous support of Sandia's Manufacturing and support systems offering accurate, timely and auditable access to our systems and data while partnering with our customers for solutions that assist them in meeting their business objectives.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
- These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Sca-Personal Computer Support Technician (Computer Hardware & Software Support 1 - 8933)
In this role you will support the IT Asset Management (JRM) department within the Information Technology (IT) organization at Bonneville Power Administration (BPA). This position directly supports the BPA IT Asset Management Supervisor. The IT Asset Management team is responsible for coordination activities related to the acquisition of all hardware, software, and peripherals in the Office Automation asset plan. Position responsibilities include the warehousing; tracking; distribution, and recovery of hardware assets and software licenses, as well as administering the Agency's mobile device program. This position requires a candidate to have a strong working knowledge of computer systems and components as well as operating systems and applications software.
IT Office Automation (OA) Asset management focuses on the receiving, issuing, recovering, and excessing of IT hardware and software. We are responsible for OA hardware and software for the majority of the Bonneville Power Administration. This position resides within a warehouse style environment and is mostly a semi-active, solitary position as the rest of the staff sit in the main office area within the same building. The individual looking to fulfill this position must be able to work independently, in a team, collaborate with others daily, be organized, maintain a clean and safe environment within the warehouse area, and be able to articulate any issues or concerns regarding their environment to the supervisor and team leads. We are looking for someone with IT Asset Management experience but primarily need someone who can maintain and keep the warehouse organized. We are a collaborative and friendly workforce which has a large responsibility for such a small team.
Mandatory Qualifications (Education, Certifications, Experience, Skills)
With an applicable Bachelor's degree in Computer Technology, Computer Information or a closely related field, ½ years of information technology experience is required.
With an applicable Associate's degree in Computer Technology, Computer Information or a closely related field, 2.5 years of information technology experience is required.
Without an applicable degree, 4.5 years of information technology experience is required.
Hardware and software lifecycle management.
Technical knowledge of handled hardware.
General office skills such as phone and data entry skills.
1+ year working knowledge of computer systems and components, and to some degree, operating systems and applications software.
Desired Qualifications (Education, Certifications, Experience, Skills)
- One or more of the following Certifications is desired: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST), Certified Software Asset Manager (CSAM), Certified Hardware Asset Management Professional (CHAMP), Certified IT Asset Manager (CITAM).
Salient CRGT is a leading provider of health, data analytics, cloud, agile software development, mobility, cyber security, and infrastructure solutions. We support these core capabilities with full lifecycle IT services and training—to help our customers meet critical goals for pivotal missions. We are purpose-built for IT transformation supporting federal civilian, defense, homeland, and intelligence agencies, as well as Fortune 1000 companies.
If you feel you are qualified for this position, express interest by clicking the Apply button below (if you are viewing this position on the Salient CRGT website). If you are viewing this job posting outside of the Salient CRGT website, please visit: www.salientcrgt.com/careers to express interest in this position through the Salient CRGT Careers page.
Salient CRGT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other factor prohibited by applicable anti-discrimination laws.
Hardware Development Engineer (Performance)
Job Description: Amazon Web Services (AWS) Hardware Engineering team creates compute and storage server designs for Amazon's innovative web services.
Our designs are industry-leading in performance, frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and the more than one million customers who use AWS today. Our engineers solve challenging technology problems with architecturally-unique solutions that enable AWS to realize critical business strategies. The team also develops systems to ensure that every piece of server hardware in AWS is healthy and manageable and builds software that interfaces with thousands of cutting-edge embedded systems all over the world.
We are seeking experienced Systems Design and Development Engineers to build the next generation of our cloud platforms. Our success depends on our world-class server infrastructure; we're handling massive scale and rapid integration of emergent technologies. What you will do:
As a senior member of the Server Hardware Engineering team you will provide technology thought leadership and own responsibility for leading the design and development of server products utilizing a wide range of design and manufacturing partners. You will work closely with our customers to understand their business goals and define the technical product requirements. You will interact with engineers and business owners across the company and work with an interdisciplinary team to execute design, test, certification, manufacturing and integration into final product SKUs and deployment to data centers around the world.
This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you'll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas. You'll have high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you'll be constantly looking for ways to improve the performance, quality and cost of your products. We're changing an industry, and we want individuals who are ready for this challenge and have the drive to reach beyond what is possible today.
Why it matters: Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The scale of AWS, combined with an understanding of how our hardware is used, creates an unique opportunity for hardware customizations that will directly benefit AWS customers.
Amazon has thousands of unique services, both big and small that power the Retail website (Amazon.com), Amazon Web Services, Kindle, Amazon Instant Video and more. These services run on hardware around the world.
We continually need to deploy newer, innovative, and more efficient and cost effective hardware.
Your work will drive efficiency and significant cost savings while improving the performance and reliability of our websites and services. Your work will touch development teams and customers around the world.
Why you will love it:
You will work directly with engineers and product owners across the company to build next-generation hardware.
You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for our customers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team.
You will have ownership for the implementation of your work. Basic Qualifications
BS Electrical/Computer Engineering (or equivalent experience)
3+ years of experience in system level design.
Experience with hardware system performance characterizations.
Master's or Ph.D degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field
Ability to deliver products in a multi-disciplined environment.
Knowledge of statistical methodologies.
Strong expertise in Computer Architecture.
Deep Experience in microarchitecture performance and workload characterization.
Deep Experience in storage systems performance characterizations.
Strong knowledge in data center designs, technologies, and optimizations.
In-depth Linux knowledge.
Virtualization software knowledge.
Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role. Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Sr Hardware Engineer
Microsoft has been studying quantum computing for several years and has become the world's center of expertise on topological quantum computing. The research effort includes a staff of theoretical physicists and experimental teams around the world. Our team is building a controls system for quantum computing that is based on a classical computer architecture. The overall system is being developed by a multi-disciplinary team that includes software and hardware architects. The control system is a general-purpose computing platform that can perform complex, high performance computing functions.
S. in computer engineering or related field
5 or more years of experience in silicon design and analysis
Good communication skills, self-starter and ability to facilitate cross group collaboration across Microsoft internal groups and external vendors
Experience in cmos design, especially in a high-performance, distributed and/or fault-tolerant systems with complex memory management
Experience with working across diverse teams resulting in the specification and development of complex hardware designs
Familiarity with RF test equipment, including high speed DSO, pattern generators, and network analyzers
Familiarity with silicon design flows and RTL design
Demonstrated proficiency in scripting languages such as Python, Bash, TCL, Powershell, etc.
Experience with technically innovative hardware designs
Experience in requirements gathering and specification of complex hardware designs
Familiarity with silicon bring-up, debug and productization
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
You will be responsible for all facets of design from reviewing architecture of features, microarchitecture of IP blocks, RTL design, synthesis, static timing analysis, silicon validation, all the way to supporting the manufacturability of the part. Throughout the program you will be interacting with architects for feature definition, various design teams for leverage and collaboration, software, and system team for requirements.
Mid-Level Systems Engineer Experienced W/ EWH And CWH Large Scale Computer Clusters
- TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUSTHAVE AN ACTIVE TS/SCI W/ FULL SCOPE POLYGRAPH SECURITY CLEARANCE (U.S. CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED)
- At least 7 years experience as a systems engineer.,
- Experience in the development, engineering, interfacing, integration, and testing of complex hardware/software systems to include requirements reviews, developing concepts of operation and interface standards, developing system architectures, and performing technical/non-technical assessment and management as well as end-to-end flow analysis.
· Highly Desired - Knowledge and experience with the following:
· Apache Hadoop
· Apache Accumulo
· Apache Zookeeper
· Apache Nifi
· Java Programming
· Atlassian Jira/Confluence
· Linux operating system administration fundamentals
· Agile development experience
· Highly Desired – Knowledge and experience in the following DevOps phases and supporting tools and technologies:
· Source Code Management: Git, Subversion
· Configuration Management/Orchestration: Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack
· Continuous Integration: Bamboo, Jenkins
· Continuous Testing
· Continuous Monitoring: ELK Stack (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana), Nagios
· Highly Desired – Familiarity with operating-system-level virtualization (“containerization”) and container-orchestration concepts and enabling tools (i.e., Docker, Kubernetes).
· Required – Shall have one (1) year of experience in the SIGINT environment.
· Desired - Experience in developing system performance, availability, scalability, manageability, and security requirements for mid-to-large scale programs.
· Desired - Experience using agile and/or spiral development models.
· Desired - Experience in developing documentation required to support a program’s technical issues and training situations.
· Desired – Experience “wrapping” legacy systems or components as Web Services within a SOA framework
· Desired – Experience integrating COTS and GOTS products from multiple vendors.
· Desired - Experience developing solutions that integrating and extending COTS products.
· Desired - Knowledge and experience with developing distributed storage routing and querying algorithms.
· Desired -Experience implementing storage area networks, data warehouses and data marts.
· Desired -Experience designing, developing, testing, evaluating, and integrating information systems into SOA or on to ESB architectures.
· Desired -Experience optimizing storage, retrieval, backup, and retention strategies across globally distributed, high throughput, text and multimedia storage and retrieval systems
· Desired -Experience developing and deploying storage within clustered or cloud environments
· Desired -Experience optimizing globally distributed, high throughput text and multimedia storage and retention systems; sustainment, modernization and migration of legacy storage systems to modern storage systems; e.g., ETL solutions; semantically-enriched storage solutions implementing data labeling/data-tagging, QFDs; Cloud computing, Target Knowledge Bases, Enterprise Knowledge Bases; data-mining analytics.
· Desired – Experience developing, delivering, testing, and supporting integrated hardware and software systems with functional requirements within a CMMI Level 2.
· Desired – Knowledge and experience with internals of HDFS, HADOOP, and/or Google’s BIG TABLE.
· Desired – Experience implementing solutions with PKI-controlled access.
Education: A Bachelor's Degree in a technical field is highly desired which will be considered equivalent to two (2) years experience. A Master's degree in a technical field will be considered equivalent to four (4) years experience.
NOTE: A degree in Communications, Computer Science, Mathematics, Accounting, Information Systems, Program Management, or similar degree will be considered as a technical field.
Senior Systems Hardware Engineer - 73357
What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies – building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the “extra mile” to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
Senior Systems Hardware Engineer – 73357
Work with cross organization teams to ensure Silicon/SW/Platform/etc. features are in sync, development is supported, and validation is planned/executed, pre and/or post production
Defect prioritization and root-cause resolution plans
Owner for Post-silicon validation activity that includes:
Platforms definitions: Validation, test, and reference platforms
Covers all system features to be validated
Test requirements for all system features
System test plans that include
Functions within Bios, Drivers, Silicon, IO subsystems, power, thermal, OS certification
Cross-functional groups (Performance, Power, and Manufacturing etc.)
External and Customer co-validation teams
Platform configurations – system BOM definition
Sign-off responsibility for Synchronized releases for internal and external delivery
CPU, chipset, boards, options, peripherals, OS, BIOS, drivers
Test execution and debug leadership across AMD
Assure that all responsibilities are clearly defined across all relevant and participating organizations
CUSTOMER FACING RESPONSIBILTIES
Act as the Primary Engineering contact for an OEM or ODM Customer
Execute Customer Production Platform Design Reviews.
Participate in Internal Platform/Silicon Design/Bring up as required.
Participate in Customer Platform Bring up as required.
Own and manage pre-production and/or post-production local Customer Platform Farm(s)
Debug and troubleshooting system and board level issues in a development environment and platform enablement focus of Customer Production Platform
Proactively driving continuous improvement for pre and post-silicon Customer Engineering related procedures
Excellent communication and leadership skills
Strong analytical/problem solving skills and pronounced attention to detail
Must be a self-starter, and able to independently drive tasks to completion
Strong interpersonal and communication skills, Debug and troubleshooting skills and experience
Experience in overseas customer engineering interaction and communication. Is a plus.
Knowledge of general Computer Architecture concepts and silicon features
Microprocessor bring-up and debug
Prior experience with client PC design and validation
Mobile Platform System Level Power/thermal management experience is an asset, Extensive laboratory experience, including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, etc.
Strong understanding of board layout and schematics
Experience with system component compatibility and stress testing
Prior experience with testing tools and environments, defect tracking and revision control
Microsoft Operating Systems, Linux Operating Systems, virtualization software (VMware, Ubuntu, et al), and validation/certification processes for each of these environments
MS Office tool suites
Bachelor's, Master's or PhD in Electrical or Computer Engineering
10+ years' experience minimum.
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services. AMD and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. We consider candidates regardless of age, ancestry, color, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religion, political and/or third party affiliation, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status. Please click here for more information.
Nearest Major Market: Austin
Hardware Dev Engineer
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Hardware Engineering team creates compute and storage server designs for Amazon's innovative web services. Our designs are industry-leading in performance, frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and the more than one million customers who use AWS today.
Our Hardware Engineers solve challenging technology problems, and build architecturally sound, high-quality server platforms and components to enable AWS to realize critical business strategies. We are seeking experienced Hardware Design Engineers to build the next generation of our cloud platforms. Our success depends on our world-class server infrastructure; we're handling massive scale and rapid integration of emergent technologies.
What you will do: As Signal Integrity/Power Integrity Engineer in the AWS hardware development team you will be working with a team of hardware development engineers to design AWS-specific hardware solutions that include motherboard and board sets, add-in cards, hardware subsystems, and full systems.
You will be responsible for high speed platform interconnect design supporting x86 processors, PCIe topologies, board (PCB) material selection/stack-up analysis and signal integrity lab equipment. You will draw from existing guidelines and standards, but also drive innovation in key technology areas. In this role you will operate with considerable autonomy and discretion.
You will be a technical leader, have high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you'll be constantly looking for ways to improve your products performance, quality, and cost. We're changing an industry, and we want individuals who are ready for this challenge and want to reach beyond what is possible today.
Why it matters: Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The scale of AWS, combined with an understanding of how our hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for hardware customizations that will directly benefit AWS customers.
Why you will love it: You will work directly with engineers across the company to build next-generation hardware.
You will have a direct impact on delivering solutions to our AWS customers and will be part of a growing, fast paced, fun and technically challenging team. Our Engineers are shaping the future of cloud computing technology - come help us make history!
Senior Electrical Hardware Design Engineer
An active TS/SCI with a polygraph clearance is required to be considered for this position.
- Responsible and accountable for the electrical design technical planning, scheduling, cost analysis, risk analysis and successful execution of small to medium programs or major electrical subsystems of a larger program containing substantial electrical content
- Leads or makes substantial contribution to electrical requirements analysis, requirements definition, requirements management, functional analysis, performance analysis (e.g. timing, power, etc.), interface analysis and definition for the design, integration and verification of electrical components, equipment and systems for major programs and projects containing substantial, complex electrical content
- Plans and leads electrical engineering root cause analysis for complex electrical issues, conducts experimental tests, evaluates results to formulate and implement solutions to issues
- Substantial contribution to the generation and maintenance of electrical work products (i.e. plans, specifications, design documentation, etc.) used for internal consumption and/or deliverable to external customers
- Develops and presents electrical requirements, concepts, designs, decisions and results to internal management, other organizations, team mates and external customers
- Provides substantial contributions to technical subcontract management that may include Statement of Work (SOW) development, proposal evaluation, source selection, technical oversight, and subcontractor work product evaluation and acceptance
- Leads design reviews of electrical components, equipment and systems
- Evaluates vendor capability to support product development
- Applies a strong understanding of the organization’s defined electrical processes throughout the lifecycle of the program or project
- Participation in the improvement of the organization’s electrical processes
- Supports the generation of technical engineering products by using the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the electrical development life cycle
- Leads the research and analysis of data, such as a customer design proposal, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
- Selects components and equipment based on analysis of specifications and reliability
- Leads small technical proposals and contributes to proposals and may serve as a proposal cost or technical volume lead
- May function in a project leadership role or supervise lower level employees
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments
- Works on diverse range of complex problems requiring ingenuity and creativity without specific direction
- Guides the successful completion of programs and projects
- Generally has regular contact with project leads, Program Managers and Senior Managers including external customers
- Derive requirements, design, build, and test cutting edge devices containing both electrical and optical hardware
- Troubleshooting and design updates of existing hardware
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited College or University
- 8 years of relevant work experience
- Strong use and understanding of electrical engineering concepts, principles, processes, and theories
- Frequently contributes to the development of new theories and methods
- Aware of business objective and Engineering’s role in achieving that objective
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Highly skilled in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions
- Ability to recognize and clearly report information relevant to sound electrical engineering design
- Manages bill of materials (BOMs), costs and schedules
- Demonstrated ability to track scope growth
- Grasps and applies new information quickly
- Strong ability to handle more complex problems
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises strong independent judgment
- Expert knowledge of lab practices and test of electrical and optical hardware
- Experience in FPGA design, development, and testing (using Verilog, VHDL or similar)
- Experience designing digital & analog control circuits for optoelectronic devices including lasers, photodetectors, and modulators.
- PREFERRED -- Control circuit experience with optical amplifiers, optical splitters, optical attenuators and optical filters
- Experience in schematic capture and leading a PWB/PCB design through layout, fab and assembly
- Experience with interface control standards and methods (RS-232, Ethernet, TCP/IP, UDP)
- Experience specifying and designing RTOS embedded controller PWB/PCBs
- Experience working on proposals for relevant electrical engineering content
- PREFERRED -- Embedded software development using real-time operating systems (VxWorks, etc.)
- PREFERRED -- Knowledge of telecommunications hardware and test equipment
Vetegrity is an employee-focused small business, founded in 2008. We are dedicated to supporting the missions of the Intelligence Community and the Department of Defense. Vetegrity is a Service Disabled, Veteran-Owned Small Business.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits to include:
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) + Federal Holidays
- 401k with Employer Match
- Profit Sharing
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Flex Spending Account
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-Term Disability
- Supplemental Insurance
- Employee Referral Program
- Performance Incentives
- On-The-Spot Rewards
If you’re interested in learning more about this opportunity and/or Vetegrity, send your resume to email@example.com today!
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!