Optician - Contact Lens - Full Time - New Orleans
We've made a lot of progress since opening the doors in 1942, but one thing has never changed - our commitment to serve, heal, lead, educate, and innovate. We believe that every award earned, every record broken and every patient helped is because of the dedicated employees who fill our hallways.
At Ochsner, whether you work with patients every day or support those who do, you are making a difference and that matters. Come make a difference at Ochsner Health System and discover your future today!
This job assists patients in selecting, fitting, measuring, adjusting, and repairing eye wear. Demonstrates proper techniques to insert, remove, and care for contact lenses to patients. Provides patient education to ensure patient have complete information and are aware of all options available.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at the company's discretion.
Required - High School diploma or equivalent
Required - None
Preferred - 1 year related optical experience
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
* Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of information.
* Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present information clearly and professionally.
* Must be proficient with Windows-style applications, various software packages specific to role and keyboard.
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Strong decision-making and delegation skills with the ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
* Ability to prioritize, organize and coordinate multiple work assignments in a fast-paced environment under minimal supervision.
* Ability to operate a computer and/or mainframe terminal and multi-line telephone.
* Must be able to work flexible schedule.
* Ability to perform advance-level optician duties.
* Must be familiar with filing vision materials claims for eyeglasses and contact lenses. electronically through web portal (i.e., EyeMed, Spectera, Davis Vision).
* Must be willing to travel to other satellite locations when necessary depending on staffing needs.
* Assists customers with eyeglass and contact lens orders.
* Makes repairs, adjustments and other basic maintenance to eye wear.
* Documents patient and order information.
* Provides excellent customer service.
* Reviews prescriptions to ensures accurate measurements.
* Places contact lens Rx orders and orders office supplies as needed.
* Adapts behavior to the specific patient population, including but not limited to: respect for privacy, method of introduction to the patient, adapting explanation of services or procedures to be performed, requesting permissions and communication style.
* Other related duties as required.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
Remains knowledgeable on current federal, state and local laws, accreditation standards or regulatory agency requirements that apply to the assigned area of responsibility and ensures compliance with all such laws, regulations and standards.
This employer maintains and complies with its Compliance & Privacy Program and Standards of Conduct, including the immediate reporting of any known or suspected unethical or questionable behaviors or conduct; patient/employee safety, patient privacy, and/or other compliance-related concerns.
The employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Physical and Environmental Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. (Constantly: activity or condition exists 2/3 or more of the time) to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Sedentary Work. Even though the weight lifted may be only a negligible amount, a job should be rated Light Work: (1) when it requires walking or standing to a significant degree; or (2) when it requires sitting most of the time but entails pushing and/or pulling of arm or leg controls; and/or (3) when the job requires working at a production rate pace entailing the constant pushing and/or pulling of materials even though the weight of those materials is negligible. NOTE: The constant stress and strain of maintaining a production rate pace, especially in an industrial setting, can be and is physically demanding of a worker even though the amount of force exerted is negligible.
Normal routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluid or tissue and as part of their employment, incumbents are not called upon to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid.
There is no occupational risk for exposure to communicable diseases.
Are you ready to make a difference? Apply Today!
Ochsner Health System endeavors to make our site accessible to all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website, or if you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact our HR Employee Service Center at 504-842-4748 (select option 1) or firstname.lastname@example.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
EEO is the Law links in English or Spanish.
Affirmative Action Policy Statement
POST JOBS FOR FREE