Controller Job Description Sample
- Overseeing all accounting operations, including accounts receivable/billing, collections, payroll, accounts payable, financial reporting and analysis, policy and procedures, and GAAP, FAR
- Responsibility for promoting an environment of excellent customer service and continual process improvement;
- Managing and developing a staff;
- Managing month-end and annual general ledger close process;
- Managing year-end financial audit process, including interaction/correspondence with external auditors;
- Responsibility for preparing timely and accurate financial statements, including preparation of consolidation
- BS Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 10 + years of progressive financial management experience in the federal marketplace
- Experience in a managed services environment preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Hands on professional
- Highly organized
If you do not have this experience, they will not consider you.
??? Oversees the proper accounting of all financial transactions for the Hospital, the Foundation and the Medical group. ??? Accumulates records, analyzes and reports financial information to management and provides necessary financial reports to external reporting agencies. ??? Manages the Accounting Department, initiating strategies and goals within the department to ensure functions are integrated in a way to achieve the highest standards in quality and productivity, customer satisfaction and financial management. ??? Safeguards the assets of the organization. Assures hospital and health system compliance with federal, state, and local government laws and regulations, accrediting agency standards and hospital policies and procedures, rules and regulations. ??? Prepares annual operating and capital budgets, monthly board reports, and annual cost report. ??? Maintains general ledger and is responsible for monthly close activities. ??? Assists administration and managers in performing their duties.
Job Requirements: ??? Bachelor???s degree in Accounting or finance required; knowledge of government accounting, and auditing standards; ??? Five (5) years experience in accounting; ??? Three (3) years experience in healthcare; ??? Three (3) years supervisory experience; CHFP/FHFMA preferred; ??? CPA preferred. The hospital is located on the beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State, twenty miles from the Pacific Ocean. Close to numerous recreational and cultural activities, we enjoy a moderate marine climate with dry, warm summers and mild winters. Our location is ideal for rural living but within a short drive to Olympia, Seattle or Portland.
Employees at L3 Communication Systems-West create solutions that save lives. Join our team and serve those who serve us.
Who is L3 Communication Systems-West (L3 CSW)? With over 3400 employees, we are one of Utah's top employers. Our smart devices send mission-critical data into armed conflicts to help our troops stay safe by staying in touch with key information. We've taken large communications systems—ground based, mobile, satellite, surveillance and reconnaissance—and developed new ways to make them smaller and more capable.
Why should you work at L3 CSW? Not only can you make life-saving differences for our troops, but at L3 CSW, you can have a flexible work schedule, buy up to 80 hours of additional vacation, access our on-site health clinic, work out in our on-site fitness center, eat in our on-site cafes with healthy food discounts, ride our shuttles or bicycles around our campus, take advantage of our tuition reimbursement, access L3 Perks, and so much more!
Who works at L3 CSW? We are committed to diversity in every aspect of our business. Our inclusive culture welcomes all employees and values their unique contributions to our success. For L3 CSW, diversity enhances our business.
Are you ready to be L3 CSW? Join us as we keep our nation and troops safe by providing life-saving solutions for use on sea, land, air, and space.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, professional manager with excellent interpersonal abilities, supervisory/leadership skills and proven track record overseeing accounting operations for multi-entity organizations with minimal supervision. This position requires a combination of hands-on accounting and staff supervisory skills. Candidate must possess strong oral/written communication skills and customer service orientation and be comfortable working with senior management, external, internal and DoD / DCMA auditors.
Desired Skills & Experience
Directs financial accounting functions to ensure timely and accurate reporting of financial information including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements annual audits and annual budgets.
Supervises a staff of approximately 35 employees representing accounts payable, accounts receivable, travel, payroll, general accounting functions, and financial planning & analysis.
Oversees and participates in monthly accounting and closing process, including financial report preparation, variance analysis and presentation to Division and Corporate management.
Coordinates monthly financial forecasts for orders, sales, profit, and cash flow, including report preparation, variance analysis and presentation to Division and Corporate management.
Monitors and manages cash requirements, disbursements and ensures timely collection of invoices using DoD invoicing practices for multiple contract types.
Protects company assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls and comply with public company Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
Maintains accounting staff results by mentoring, counseling, and providing feedback to employees. Plans, monitors, and appraises job results. Provides a career path to staff.
Facilitates and supports preparation of annual tax returns.
Implements continuous process and procedure improvements.
Participate in a wide variety of special projects and frequent ad hoc reporting.
Strong leader and self-starter who is comfortable working with minimal supervision.
Comprehensive understanding of contract accounting, EAC preparation, and application of GAAP including ASC 606 and ASC 842.
In depth knowledge of Federal Acquisition Regulation cost principles, Cost Accounting Standards and DCMA practices, including final overhead rate submissions.
Practical experience with enterprise accounting systems (SAP preferred) and business intelligence applications.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 10 years demonstrated experience in leading a finance organization in a large public manufacturing or defense contracting environment, and a Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or closely related field. CPA required.
Due to the nature of our work qualified candidates must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities / sexual orientation / gender identity.
L3 maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance-abuse testing and background checks
Our client is one of the fastest growing Financial Services firm in the DC area. Founded by prominent ex-Wall Street professional, the Company is keenly focused on providing strategic funding for small to medium-sized businesses in various industries across the country. They originally started with Medical, Retail and Restaurants and then expanded into 25+ other industries. Recently, spurred on by incredible organic growth, the Company solidified a well-calculated merger with a New York based firm. They have a nimble, dynamic operation and are looking to grow their core Accounting/Finance team to sustain and foster continued corporate growth.
Our client is searching for a Controller to lead Accounting/Finance group and drive strategic initiatives as well as operational enhancements. This role will report directly to the Chief Compliance Officer. Responsibilities associated with this role include but are not limited to:
- Partner with C-Suite and drive strategic initiatives including operational/functional improvements, ERP implementation, and bolstering the financial processes and controls
- Oversee the financial statements and presentation to management of several sets of entities’ reports that roll up to the corporate level
- Handle forecasts and budgeting of key financial indicators
- Lead and manage the operations of the Accounting team (4-5 individuals)
- Facilitate communication and initiatives between members of team and management
- Continue to build accounting team to support and sustain corporate growth and operations to build efficiencies and drive effective procedures
- Motivate, mentor, and manage through this crucial, historic growth period for firm
- Public accounting experience, required (“Big-4”, highly preferred)
- CPA accreditation, required
- Extensive managerial experience and ability to lead and motivate others, required
- Strong interest and/or abilities with systems/technology, highly preferred
- Research oriented/analytical approach to technical matters
- A willingness to roll-up their sleeves and handle/balance multiple items at once
- Entrepreneurial mindset, personally driven, desire to work hard and accomplish goals set for team and oneself
- Highly competitive base salary with discretionary, progressive bonus as company continues to grow
- Unique Benefits: 100% medical and health benefits covered, free dinners when needed, Uber business account
- Excellent location easily accessible by local, public transit
- Oversee the activities of the corporate accounting department for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements and annual audits and annual budgets.
- Oversee the activities of the disbursement department, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, petty cash, core employee expense reports, cash control, core payroll processing, and total corporate payroll tax compliance.
- Oversee the activities of the accounts receivable department to ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components including billings, cash receipts application, etc.; funding service management, which includes weekly funding reports and customer service; quarter and year-end payroll closing including federal and state reports, and check statistic management.
- Assure corporate income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes, and data, and enhance the company's value.
- Proactively serve as an advisor/partner to management and CFO, with accurate and timely work to facilitate financial needs.
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, and others courteously and professionally.
- Familiar with GAAP, statutory requirements and other US accounting standards
- SaaS Industry experience a plus
- Highly detail oriented
- Technical Capacity
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- CPA certification a plus, however not required
- Ten years of hands-on accounting managerial experience
- Spanish speaking a plus, however not required
- Competitive Salary
- Unlimited Vacations! (yes, that’s unlimited)
- 100% covered medical insurance, upgrades from basic plan available
- Relaxed and techy office environment -- flexible work from home days when needed
- Be part of an amazing, talented, and smart digital marketing team
- Endless snacks, cafecitos, drinks, avocados (not endless, they go pretty fast) and other fruits
- Free license to Open English, Next U, and Open English Junior
Open Education ("OE") is an E-Learning leader in Latin America. We provide individuals and corporate clients in emerging markets worldwide with a unique, effective and fun learning experience that caters to their own schedule and pace. The company started with Open English, a platform offering programs in English Learning with both on-demand and personalized content, live classes 24/7, with teachers who are all native English speakers. Acquiring Next U in 2015, OE is now positioned as a global education technology leader offering various online certificates in digital technology specializations. The Next U portfolio of certificates currently includes programs in web development, digital marketing, mobile app development, graphic design, IT, among others. In 2017, leveraging Open English's innovative teaching method, Open English Junior was launched in 18 countries of Latin America. Open English Junior is an online education platform designed for children 8 - 14. Like its adult counterpart, live classes with Native English speakers are the core of the academic method, complemented with practices and lessons in a fun and engaging platform.
Richmond Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the organization that operates metropolitan Richmond toll facilities and Main Street Station, is recruiting for a Controller. This position is responsible for performing difficult professional and responsible administrative work overseeing and participating in the maintenance of revenue and expenditure accounts; preparing financial statements and reports; development, interpretation and implementation of accounting related policies and procedures. This position will also participate in the development of the annual budget and the coordination of annual audits, including preparing of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR). Additionally, this position serves as backup to the Director of Finance for various functions.
Bachelor's degree in accounting; minimum five (5) years of professional accounting experience, including financial statement preparation and analysis; demonstrated skills with spreadsheet and accounting software systems, experience with Microsoft Dynamics-Great Plains accounting system is a plus. OR any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
CPA and governmental accounting (GASB) experience are strongly preferred. Other requirements:
Ability to successfully perform each essential function and duty. Must be able to successfully complete drug and criminal history screenings as a condition of employment.
The RMTA offers a competitive benefit package which includes medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement benefits through the Virginia Retirement System, tuition reimbursement, paid holidays, paid time off and annual merit increase for fully meeting performance expectations. Our downtown Richmond location includes free parking. Salary is commensurate with experience.
manufacturing operations (automotive preferred)
The Controller will maintain the policies and procedures applicable to the financial operations of the plant in the area of Data Processing, Standard Costs, expense budgets, forecasting, profit planning, and capital expenditures. They will directly supervise, lead and mentor employees in the Accounting Department.
- Prepare plant monthly and annual financial results in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepare the annual business plan and forecast.
- Coordinates the activities of the plant in the areas of accounting costs and budgets through the review of operations and the criteria used for developing cost standards and expense budgets to establish and acceptable base for measuring product cost, expense control and plant performance.
- Prepare analysis of financial and operating information as required.
- Measures monthly operating performances against approved goals and objectives.
- Optimize cash flow.
- anticipates sales and cost to develop business forecasts and the annual profit plan for planning purposes.
- Insures proper account distribution for items expensed, inventories, fixed assets, etc.
- Facilitates the monthly closing by reviewing accounting data and computer runs for accuracy in order that the closing can be performed on a timely basis.
- Coordinates the taking of year-end physical inventory to assure accurate ending inventory balance. Schedules and coordinates additional inventories as deemed necessary.
- Prepares appropriation requests and the justification of same for capital expenditures to insure that the funds are being requested in accordance with Corporate guidelines.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Conduct internal auditing procedures.
- Prepares and audits monthly budget analysis and updates for adjustments to determine the accuracy of monthly budgets.
- Reviews Plant procedures from time to time to determine cost-saving effectiveness and overall effectiveness of meeting the Plant’s goals.
- Administers and insures compliance with the Quality, Environmental, and Material Management System requirements as outlined in the policy manuals.
- Insure that all accounting transactions are recorded in an effective and timely manner.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Must have recent experience in a manufacturing plant with supervisory responsibilities.
- Must be experienced with computerized accounting systems and proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Proven ability to interact with senior management, corporate personnel, etc; excellent communication, presentation, training and interpersonal skills.
- Has effective leadership skills.
- In depth knowledge of financial and budgetary controls.
- High degree of professionalism along with organizational skills, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to motivate and delegate authority to subordinate personnel.
Brandon Regional Hospital is looking for a qualified Controller to join our team!
The Controller is responsible for the direction, and leadership of the fiscal facility operations and maintaining proper financial controls to ensure reliable and accurate financial reporting and integrity of financial services and applications Formulates and administers general accounting practices in adherence with corporate accounting policy (APG) and internal audit guidelines; interprets data, and prepares financial analyses of operations for the guidance of management.
ESSENTIAL CORE FUNCTIONS:
Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for twenty four hour operations and maintaining proper financial controls to ensure reliable and accurate financial reporting and integrity of financial services and applications by consistently analyzing, evaluating and monitoring procedures, processes and systems.
Formulates and administers general accounting practices in adherence with corporate accounting policy (APG) and internal audit guidelines; interprets data, and prepares financial analyses of operations for the guidance of management.
Ensures delivery of high quality services by maintaining appropriate staffing levels, equipment, resources, competency, physical space, training and education of staff.
Applies the principles of continuous quality improvement in delivery of services, through assessment and monitoring of financial processes and systems.
Ensures compliance with Sarbane-Oxley, JCAHO, legal and all regulatory and accrediting agencies.
Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system and reports trends in occurrences to staff quarterly. This information is used to improve safety. Addresses safety in the Performance Improvement Plan.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
Three to five years in hospital fiscal services; Three years at supervisory level.
Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook) must manifest problem-solving abilities and decisive leadership. Professional accounting skills. Computer skills as well as verbal and communication skills; Superior time management skills, and strong attention to detail; Good organizational skills; ability to read comprehend and follow verbal and written instructions; demonstrates good customer relations and analytical skills.
Perform accounting functions, including reconciling accounts and credit cards, daily input and timely processing of payables, invoicing and receiving allocations, processes expense reports, follow up on accounts receivable, and generating financial reports. Support the CFO to prepare for audits.
Mainain a variety of financial reports - including but not limited to reconciliation of all balance sheets as well as monthly and annual financial statements, general ledger transactions and records in accordnace with applicable laws, codes, statutes, rules, regulations and ordinances.
Guides cost analysis process by establishing and enforcing policies and procedures, providing trends and forecasts; explaining processes and techniques; recommendating actions.
Complie and analysze financial information, prepare and report timely and accurate financial statements to the Dealership.
Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted company policies and practices.
Anaylyze and advise on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, gross margin by product and customer, financial commitment and future revenues.
Develops cash flow forecasts, financial estimates and budgets.
Analyze financial information and monitor variances to recommend or develop efficient use of resources and procedures, provide strategic recommendtions and maintain solutions as businsss and financial opportunities arise.
Responds to inquiries from the President, VP and other finance and firm wide managers regarding financial results, special reports requests and the like.
Bachelor's degree in accounting. MBA plus.
5 - 10 years minimum accounting experience; in the automotive industry experience highly desireable, CPA highly desireable
Providient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
Working knowlege of cost accounting practices
Abiility to work with others in complex management matrix structure
CRG has an opportunity for a Controller for a family owned multi-unit transportation/moving company. This is a great opportunity for the accounting professional that enjoys a hands-on fast paced environment.
- Support all aspects of accounting management (billing, tax forms, reporting etc.).
- Work closely with owner and other managers in the formulation of internal controls and policies.
- Preparation of financial statements and assist with annual financial reporting for banks.
- Manage and prepare journal entries, invoices etc. and reconcile accounts for the monthly or annual closing
- Assist in the preparation of budgets or forecasts
- Work with outside CPA to complete annual tax returns.
- Review the company’s accounting information to identify and resolve inaccuracies or imbalances.
- Process weekly/biweekly payroll for multiple companies using ADP software.
- Liaison to the outside IT firm to maintain computers in working order.
- Assist in completing drivers/contractor’s statements for payment.
- Assist in preparation of annual data needed for annual liability insurance renewal.
- Manage a small staff and will oversee billing and rate process for moving/trucking industry.
- Assist in the claim resolution process.
- Other projects as assigned by owner.
- Strong working knowledge of QuickBooks and Microsoft Office products.
- Accounting degree required
- Strong working knowledge of QuickBooks and Microsoft Office products.
- Previous experience working in a small company desired.
- Must be comfortable being very hands-on Controller b/c small department and will have to do lots of daily tasks.
- Must be okay supervising small staff.
- Relevant industry experience helpful, but not required.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!