Controller Job Description Sample
We are looking for a self-directed and experienced Controller to oversee financial, accounting
and administrative matters for non-profit organization (and its related entities). The position will
work closely with the CEO. Controller must be experienced in financial management. The
successful candidate will be responsible for budget preparation, payroll, accounts
payable/receivable and financial reporting, as well as certain human resources functions such as
policy and procedure development and compliance.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Manages all accounting operations, including billing, financial statements, general ledger,
payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting and tax compliance.
• Prepares annual operating budget and reports variances.
• Reviews and approves timely financial statements and reporting; organizes information
and statements for audits.
• Monitors cash and funding balances.
• Ensures compliance with all legal and government reporting requirements and tax filings,
such as Form 990 and LM-10 filings.
• Supervises accounting personnel and other administrative staff.
• Oversees physical facilities, including maintenance, lease management and parking;
approves and monitors purchases, subscriptions and other expenditures.
• Coordinates various human resources functions such as staff reviews, vacation requests
• Organizes special events.
• Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality.
• Handles printing and distribution of contracts.
• Performs additional Controller duties as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• At least 5 years of experience as a Controller or Accounting Manager, ideally in the nonprofit
• Bachelor’s or advanced degree in accounting or related field required
• Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting and budgeting
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Proficiency with accounting software (SAGE 100) and Microsoft Office Suite
• Advanced knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting best practices, laws, standards and
• Attention to detail
• Able to work well with CEO and others
ETONIEN is sourcing for a highly organized Controller to support our Real Estate/Development client located in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
The ideal candidate will have a CPA (required) and 8+ years of relevant Controllership experience.
- Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, will upgrade/streamline the accounting process in a hands on environment
- Provide leadership and manage 2 Assistant Controllers and 25+ staff members
- Appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization
- Responsible for proper Corporate and property cash management, including monthly cash flow analysis and comparisons.
- Closely manage and analyze operational expenses, budget and income statements in alignment with company’s strategic plan
- Primary liaison with all external auditors for fiscal and calendar year-end audits and tax returns
- Implement, monitor and manage internal controls to include documentation and audit.
- Provide recommendation in building out the Accounting Department (hire, review, direct, discipline)
- Other projects as assigned
- 4-year degree in accounting or finance required
- CPA required
- Must be proactive, process driven and resourceful and detail oriented
- 5+ years of progressive experience within a Real Estate/ Development/Construction/Property Management environment
- Strong systems experience required: Yardi, Excel (formulas, look-ups, pivot tables, IF statements)
ETONIEN is sourcing for a solutions-oriented, yet “roll-up your sleeve” Controller to work with our private equity backed, construction services client based in Santa Fe Springs, CA.
The ideal candidate will have a CPA or MBA and 10+ years of proven experience in a construction services environment. He or she is a proven leader with strong experience in general accounting and monthly close cycles within a fast-paced environment.
- Collaborate with CFO and private equity firm in post-acquisition environment to develop, implement and maintain accounting policies and processes relating to the monthly close
- Oversee and direct the daily activities of the finance and accounting function, including General Accounting, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
- Review and improve all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation
- Monitor, develop, improve, and issue timely and accurate financial statements
- Assess, establish and implement internal controls
- Evaluate and structure a personnel management plan to recruit and retain top professionals
- 10+ years progressive and relevant work experience preferably within a construction services environment
- Industry related knowledge required (Percentage of Completion (POC), Work in Progress (WIP)
- Multi-location experience preferred
- Preference for post-acquisition integration/clean-up experience within a private-equity backed environment
- 4-year degree in accounting or finance required
- CPA preferred
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be detail-oriented, organized and accurate
- Strong business acumen with ability to lead with decision-making skills
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!