Controller Job Description Sample
We are currently seeking a hands-on Controller to join our growing team.
- Micro-transactions: accounting for 2,000 plus individual financial credit card transactions a day, including ability to document processes related to incoming funds and refunds, while doing so in a highly automated manner.
- Multiple-party transactions: documenting the flow of money through multiple parties and deep understanding of how each party accounts for the movement of that money, and in particular, how each of those parties accounts for Credit Card refunds.
- Efficient flow of money: collateralize information, instructions, to our clients, contractors, on how money flows, where audits occur, etc.
- Process Engineering: apply strict process and engineering principles to make the movement of all funds in the company extremely efficient, accurate.
- Nexus: Deep knowledge of how federal and state taxing authorities view “nexus” in order to communicate with clients and our outside Nexus attorneys.
- Credit Card charges: ability to negotiate with Credit Card companies for favorable rates, return policies, etc.
- Bank charges: negotiate favorable terms, including batch and item fees, ACH, transfers, automated tools/APIs to harmonize with our technology.
- Nominee Recipient: deep knowledge of the IRS definition of nominee recipient, Third Party Settlement Organization, and Third party network.
- Audit/Redundancies: embezzlement protection (2x or 3x redundancies on how money is handled).
- Streamline process of paying contractors: efficient, safe, and theft proof; devise additional rapid pay process (ACH, check, PayPal, etc.).
- Experience in app accounting or gaming industries a plus.
- Experience in start up environment a plus.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by Manager.
- Adhere to the policies of the organization as described in the Employee Manual.
- Hands-on leadership of financial team
- Empathy and Compassion
- Prior experience and expertise communicating with all levels of the organization, as well as external client base
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
- Generous compensation and bonus plan
- Full suite of health benefits
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Catered team member Monday breakfast and Friday lunch
- Monthly social events (roller skating, volleyball, billiards)
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
- Wonderful colleagues
Job Classification: Exempt
Reporting Relationship: President/COO
The Controller is responsible for managing and leading Topeka Country Club’s (“TCC”) on-site accounting functions to ensure proper fiscal management, timely and accurate reporting and analysis. The Controller is also responsible for financial planning, budgeting and cash management for TCC.
- Prepares, reviews and reconciles all monthly financial statements including the income statement as well as the forecast and balance sheets.
- Properly greets TCC Members and guests by having knowledge of their names.
- Provides analysis and feedback to the President/COO regarding the monthly financial reports.
- Identifies areas for financial and operational improvements and coordinates improvements with the President/COO.
- Collaborates with department heads to investigate, review and analyze the variance explanations and ensures explanations are well written and explained. Advises the President/COO of recommended corrective actions.
- Manages troubleshooting for respective property cost controls and revenue enhancements.
- Prepares and reviews monthly property financial forecasts with appropriate property personnel.
- Reviews historical and projected cash flows and takes appropriate action to ensure TCC’s cash flow is properly managed.
- Provides career coaching to TCC’s on-site finance staff.
- Creates and conducts customized evaluations, career planning sessions and cooperative goal setting in collaboration with the President/COO.
- Assists the President/COO with recruitment, hiring and training for TCC’s accounting and finance employees.
- Provides knowledge to help develop a “service culture” among the accounting and finance personnel.
- Assists with preparing the property budgets, capital budgets and business plans.
- Ensures accuracy and timely completion of TCC’s budgets by their respected due dates.
- Assists with the preparation and final review of TCC’s annual business plan.
- Reviews the internal and external audit reports and assists in any corrective action necessary.
- Completes the year-end audit process which includes reviewing and approving all reconciliations, coordinating audit visits, responding to requests and monitoring and approving the final audit process.
- Collaborates with department heads to identify areas for revenue enhancements, cost savings, process improvement, improved communication flow and/or the necessity for documentation of policies and procedures.
- Attends meetings when required and responds to questions in a timely and professional manner.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the President.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and related experience in the hospitality industry is required. A combination of experience and education may be accepted in lieu of a degree as determined by TCC.
- At least 3-5 years of work related experience as a Controller or in hospitality finance is required.
- Intermediate computer and word processing skills, in particular Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required.
- Knowledge of Jonas accounting system is preferred.
- Knowledge of employment practices and related laws, regulations and standards.
- Knowledge of recruitment, hiring and training of accounting and finance staff.
- Ability to effectively communicate, present information and respond to questions, both verbal and written.
- Ability to analyze data or information by identifying the underlying principles, reasons, or facts of information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to exercise good judgment with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of TCC.
- Demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to 30 pounds.
- Work long hours during the summer months.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting
- Interaction with TCC staff and members.
Location: (Austin - San Antonio Corridor)
Compensation: $110K - $130K + bonus
- Hands-On Responsibility and Management of all financial activities including:
- Acting as a business partner to the CEO
- Financial reporting
- Month end close / preparation of financial statements
- General ledger
- Financial analysis
- Fixed asset accounting
- Forecasting & budgeting
- Job cost accounting
- % completion accounting
- Manufacturing cost accounting
- Account receivables /billings
- Accounts payable
- Payroll management
- Human Resources (employee policies / benefits management)
- Federal and State taxes (weekly, monthly, quarterly)
- Business insurance claims management
- Maintain all records in compliance with FASB
- Management of information systems
- Putting in and enforcing controls to insure that accounting records are accurate
- Putting in and enforcing policies and procedures to protect the assets of the company
- Managing corporate audits and relationships with independent auditors
- Maintaining appropriate banking, surety bonding and insurance facilities relationships
- Insuring liquidity through:
- Appropriate cash forecasting
- Establishing and enforcing appropriate levels of inventory, receivables, capital expenditures and payables
- Recruit, train and develop an efficient and competent financial organization
- Provide appropriate management information including establishing a monthly management business review and developing a weekly dashboard
- Be a pro-active member of the management team, providing leadership and guidance in all financial matters
- Highest integrity
- Team builder
- Team player but still independent
- Hands-on, able to do work on his own
- Able to prioritize, delegate and train
- Strategic and analytical
- Broad business skills
- Ready to assume a leadership role
- College degree
- At least 8+ years of experience
- Expert in job cost accounting / % completion accounting
- Prior Controller or CFO experience in construction industry
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations, including lien laws of Texas
- Responsible for managing operational data and ensuring the integrity and accuracy of data
- Manages the cost accounting pool within the department including setting up standard work
- Leads the financial reporting process including account analysis and reconciliation (mainly surrounding labor and inventory)
- Responsible for producing accurate and timely Production System Savings (IMPACT)
- Supports and leads efforts to improve internal controls, productivity and transparency to implementation of “best practices”
- Works closely with IT to simplify and streamline data compilation and reporting processes
- Provides variance analysis for the business and bring insight to strategic dialogues
- Extracts data from multiple systems and manipulate as needed to fit reporting needs of the business
- Designs and creates tools to communicate data and to facilitate business management decision making from a variety of sources
- Develops standardized operational procedures and documentation of data flow
- Develops and maintains internal system controls to ensure data integrity
- Takes a leading role in system projects and enhancements
- Works with IT to develop system interfaces, data dumps solution development to improve data availability, accuracy and accessibility
- Stays abreast of field knowledge, trends and innovation regarding finance by attending various workshops and training events
- Meets established deadlines and communicates delays and other potential problems to VP of Finance in a timely manner
- Leads and participates in special projects as needed
- Travel for company business periodically as needed
- Participate in projects, perform analysis and fulfill other duties as directed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field is required. MBA preferred
- Eight or more years’ experience in the field of general accounting, financial planning and analysis or equivalent required
- Three years’ experience in a manufacturing environment preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with IT in developing system interfaces, data dumps and solutions to improve data availability, accuracy and accessibility
- Possess advanced understanding of accounting principles required
- CPA preferred
- Strong understanding of GAAP and IFRS accounting principles required
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills required
- Advanced proficiency and competency in Microsoft Office Suites; specifically Excel (pivot tables, v-lookups, ERP retrieve tools, etc.), Word and Outlook
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of people.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational (time management and spreadsheet structures) and communications skills
- Demonstrated experience in providing exceptional customer service and present an eagerness to partner with others to maximize group effectiveness
- Demonstrated ability to act independently and confidentially, using discretion and tact
- Possess the ability to distinguish and manage confidential material and information
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Overseeing all accounting operations, including accounts receivable/billing, collections, payroll, accounts payable, financial reporting and analysis, policy and procedures, and GAAP, FAR
- Responsibility for promoting an environment of excellent customer service and continual process improvement;
- Managing and developing a staff;
- Managing month-end and annual general ledger close process;
- Managing year-end financial audit process, including interaction/correspondence with external auditors;
- Responsibility for preparing timely and accurate financial statements, including preparation of consolidation
- BS Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 10 + years of progressive financial management experience in the federal marketplace
- Experience in a managed services environment preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Hands on professional
- Highly organized
- Manage operating group financial statements and assist the Corporate Controller in the preparation of consolidated financial statements quarterly and annual SEC filings.
- Manage accounting functions and staff members in the areas of Project Accounting, SEC reporting and subsidiary reports.
- Advise Group Operations and Project Managers concerning the financial aspects associated with project execution.
- Manage the corporate budget process and perform variance analysis.
- Establish accounting policies and internal control procedures to comply with CAS and SOX guidelines and standards.
- Perform substantive and analytical review to ensure accuracy and integrity of the financial statements of parent and subsidiary companies.
- Provide financial analytics and response to internal inquiries and external audits.
- Serve as backup accounting system administrator, audit coordinator, and the Corporate Controller.
- Participate in the formation and resolution of complex accounting issues.
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, MBA desired.
- Certified Public Accountant required.
- Minimum of ten years of progressive experience in government and commercial contract and project cost accounting with five or more years of supervisory experience.
- Extensive knowledge of Deltek, CostPoint, Time and Expense, COGNOS, Impromptu and Microsoft applications.
- SEC public reporting experience
- Extensive knowledge of GAAP, FAR, and CAS
- Some experience with International accounting principles
- High attention to detail with excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and leadership, ability to work with minimum supervision
- Public company and international accounting experience desirable.
- Experience with DCAA and external audits.
- Operate independently in an effective and efficient manner.
Very reputable and stable family business in the Newark, NJ area is seeking a Controller to join their team. The Controller will have full financial and accounting oversight for the business, including leadership responsibility over a staff of four.
The ideal Controller should have experience working specifically in the distribution, manufacturing, or construction industry. The ideal Controller will have hands-on involvement with journal entries, month end closing, AP and AR, inventory reconciliations, banking, payroll, tax prep, and supporting the audit with the partnership of an outside CPA firm. The ideal Controller will have 10+ years of experience, a BS in Accounting, and an CPA or MBA. If you're a Controller with an interest in joining an excellent, stable, and mid-sized organization please email your resume to .
The ideal Controller candidates will have the following experience and qualifications: *10+ years of experience preferably in the distribution, construction, or manufacturing industries *BS in Accounting, MBA and CPA a plus *Strong QuickBooks, SAGE, or other ERP experience *Strong knowledge of inventory accounting and project accounting
Employment Type: Full-time
The position ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies. Proficiency with current accounting literature is must. The System Controller is responsible for overseeing Financial Statements and Tax Return preparation and annual audits.
The System Controller reportsdirectly to the Associate Vice President of Finance. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS QUALIFICATIONS: BachelOR's Degree Licensure/Certification/Registration:
Licensure Please Specify:
Certified Public Accounting Licensure/Certification/Registration:
Licensure Please Specify:
Certified Public Accounting Special Skills/Qualifications/Additional Training/Experience Required: Must have 7-10 yearsof experience in the healthcare setting or public accounting. Minimum of yearscombined management experience Physical and Mental
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job specific functions(listed within each job specific responsibility) either unaided or with the assistance of reasonable accommodation to be determined by the organization on case by case basis. If the requirement is not marked, then it is considered not applicable. POPULATION SPECIFICS This position is required to have knowledge and competency to assess, treat, interpret, and/or care for the population specifics as identified: Adults >19 TEAM MEMBERS SUPERVISED Accounting Managers, Payroll and Accounts Payable Supervisor, Accounting Assistants, Department Head Secretary DEGREE OF SUPERVISION REQUIRED Limited Supervision: individual proceeds on his/her own initiative, in compliance with policies, practices, and procedures prescr bed by immediate supervisor.
If you have a knack for leading with high standards, positively motivating others, and making critical decisions and have experience taking charge of an accounting and clerical department, contact Robert Half Finance about becoming a Controller with a reputable company. Planning and directing all accounting operational functions, handling the accumulation and consolidation of financial data for internal and external financial statements, evaluating accounting and internal control systems, and leading departmental staff will be essential for this role. Leading with integrity and reliability and having the ability to manage self and others with urgency, practicality and accountability when providing client services will be essential for this role. If you're a creative team player with a talent for challenging the status quo, coming up with unique ideas, negotiating and influencing, this might be the job for you. This opportunity's very competitive and generous compensation and benefits package could advance your career. The Controller will be a full-time employment opportunity and will be located in the Fort Wayne, Indiana region. How you will make an impact
Work closely with executive team and partners to ensure efficient and successful firm-wide operation
Each month, present executive committee and partners with financial reports
Respond on items beyond formal job responsibilities
Direct finance department activities, such as accounts payable, billings collections, and payroll
Check deliverables of self and team to certify they meet client expectations
Drive the timing for monthly billing and other cash management techniques to ensure the timely cash collection
Research, plan and implement Finance Department initiatives including software and systems implementation and other departmental or firm-wide improvements, as needed
Manage daily cash and prepare cash-flow reports, projecting cash needs at weekly and monthly intervals
Manage the production of the yearly budget and forecasts and monitor them monthly
Analyze, apply and improve policies, procedures, controls and most methodologies
Handle monthly and yearly close of income statement and balance sheet, account reconciliations G/L analysis
Excellent oral and written communications skills
Attention to detail and proven ability to follow standard procedures is a requirement
Proven analytical skills - defining problems, collecting relevant data, drawing valid conclusions, and recommending improvement/corrective actions
Ability to work in a dynamic and changing environment
BA/BS in Accounting, Finance, Economics or other business related field
Ability and willingness to meet business critical deadlines
3+ years of progressive accounting experience, including as a Controller preferred
Self-starter with efficient time management and organizational skills
Outstanding communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, both oral and written, and ability to build as well as deliver effective presentations
Excellent technology, analytics and management experience required
Month end closings experience desired
Deep understanding of accounts payable
Accounts receivable experience
General familiarity with inventory planning reporting
Well-founded grasp of financial reporting
Expertise in financial statement preparation
Intercompany accounts experience
Proven knowledge of accounts receivable aging
Previous experience in public accounting is highly valued
Employment Type: Full-time
Achieve positive client impacts through broad business engagement as a Controller at Robert Half Management Resources. This is a very dynamic, high profile division with significant visibility at executive management level. In this Controller role, you will be responsible for managing processes to ensure models are accurate and fully accrued on a monthly basis, and holding operations team accountable that end to end incentive processing, payments, accounting, and related financial controls are operating at an effective rate. Located in Newport Beach, California, this Controller position will be a short term temporary opportunity. Key responsibilities
Engage with various business partners for various program controllership and FP A activities such as ensuring accuracy of accrual models, appropriate accounting and true-up activities and answer queries from business, area and subsidiary controllers Direct budgeting, reporting, and forecasting processes and tools for all accountable programs
Collation of evidence and qualitative discussion of monthly financial results across global programs to support SOX controls
Recognize key financial results and movements across programs, then summarize and discuss them with key business partners
Attain awareness of key financial results and movements across programs to summarize and discuss with key business partners
Perpetual reviewing of actual spend against budget, as well as leading necessary actions needed for any expected shortfalls
Work closely with Treasury to provide timely cash flow forecasts
Analyze and oversee controls to ensure they are effectively designed and operating in partnership with compliance
Excellent analytical, organizational, and vendor management skills - detail oriented accounting and controllership or public accounting and internal controls experience and/or Internal Audit or Controls and Compliance
Implement and improve changes in procedures immediately
Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or other relevant field
CPA and/or CMA preferred
Working knowledge of ERP system
Expertise in Microsoft Excel
Solid understanding of month end closings
Exquisite understanding in office and accounting computer systems
Prior background in engaging virtually with teams around the globe and providing leadership across finance teams
Excellent communication and negotiation skills with experience in establishing trusted advisor/consultant relationships and proven ability to influence Executives and Business Decision Makers
Employment Type: Interim/Project
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!