Cytotechnologist Job Description Sample
DAY SHIFT - 7:30 am- 4pm
FULL TIME BENEFITED
The Cytologist demonstrates excellent customer service performance in that his/her attitude and actions are at all times consistent with the standards contained in the Vision, Mission and Values of Covenant and the commitment to Keeping our Promise of Caring. This individual is responsible for performance and reporting results promptly and proficiently on tests and patient specimens. Perform quality control procedure, instrument checks and maintenance, quality assurance studies and help maintain appropriate records as needed. Help as directed with research, new procedures, training and orientation. Comply with Covenant policies and procedures and help maintain a safe and efficient workplace. Insures assigned service meet CLIA 1988 accreditation standards and OSHA safety standards and provides quality service in an expeditious manner.
• Performs all cytologic tests ordered by a physician using automated and/or manual methods
• Repeats any test necessary, if said test is unsuitable for diagnosis
• Initial evaluation of all non-gyn specimens and abnormal gyn cases
• Renders interpretation on all negative gyn specimens
• Refers abnormal and non-gyn specimens to technical specialist (after initial screen)
• Prepares appropriate reports and records on cytology specimens reviewed
• Correlates present and previous clinical and pathological history for each case as required for quality assurance monitors/logs
• Performs all functions of specimen preparation, screening and collection, when necessary
• Accession specimens
• Prepares non-gyn specimens
• Stain slides
• Label specimens and slides
• Answer telephone calls
• Retrieve reports and slides
• Re-coverslip slides as needed
• Assists clinicians with fine needle aspiration
• Help make aspiration smears
• Determine adequacy of specimens
• Document the slide interpretation results of each gynecologic and non-gyn category case examines or reviewed as specified under Cytology patient test management, quality control, quality assurance and proficiency testing requirements of CLIA-1988
• Each day, document the total number of slides examined/reviewed as well as the total number of slides examined/reviewed in any other laboratory and the same data for other Cytologists
• Assure that all remedial action is taken whenever test systems deviate from laboratory-established performance specifications
• Ensure that patient Cytology test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning
• Research and development of new procedures
• Accept and complete job related projects
• Comply with all Covenant and Laboratory policies, procedures and safety practices
• Demonstrate working knowledge of appropriate safety protocol to include universal precautions, MSDS safety program, use of personal protective equipment in designated areas, and proper hand washing techniques
• Assist in the training of new employees under direct control of the General Supervisor
• Perform other related duties as assigned
• Demonstrate a positive attitude in the workplace showing dependability, cooperation, and desire to produce the most accurate, timely and cost effective results attainable
Baccalaureate degree in laboratory science from an accredited college/university with documentation of one year of training under a CAHEA accredited school of technology OR prior to September 1, 1992, an Associate Degree in laboratory science from an accredited college/university with documentation of one year of training under a CAHEA accredited school of technology
Demonstrates excellent customer service skills
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Ability to utilize independent judgment and work autonomously
At least two years of full-time experience in high-complexity Cytology testing examining cytology slide preparations
Technical knowledge, skills and abilities as they relate to the various areas of the clinical lab
Knowledge of LIS applications (i.e. Cerner applications and databases)
What makes a career at Covenant HealthCare so extraordinary?
We are one of the largest, most comprehensive health care facilities north of metropolitan Detroit.
We offer a broad spectrum of careers in services including cardiology, critical care, surgery, imaging and diagnostics, laboratory, oncology, orthopaedics, obstetrics, pediatrics, physical therapy, home health care and more.
We offer competitive wages, comprehensive benefits, advancement and educational opportunities.
We offer a culture rich in our Covenant WE CARE values.
AEL has a far-reaching infrastructure including a 154-vehicle fleet tracking over 3,500 stops a day. AEL is embedded within the communities servicing several Patient Service Centers (PSCs). AEL is the largest independent laboratory network in Tennessee and the Mid-South offering a broad spectrum of clinical laboratory services dedicated to provide accurate and diagnostically meaningful results. AEL has an extensive test menu including hematology, clinical chemistry, coagulation studies, toxicology, cytology, histology, and comprehensive microbiology services.
AEL is committed to delivering personalized customer service to support clients. American Esoteric Laboratories Inc, (AEL), is currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Cytotechnologist.
Performs pre-and final evaluation of cytological specimens using microscope and clinical standards to correlate test results and assess the need for additional testing and/or referral to pathologist to assure accurate diagnosis. Under the general direction of Pathology Section Supervisor, responsible for 1 shift, 8 hours/day, 5 days/week. Incumbents are subject to overtime and call back as required. Principle
Document the number of slides examined during a 24 hour period and the number of hours spent examining slides.
Evaluates, interpret patient specimens and document microscopically to determine specimen adequacy and the presence of abnormal cells.
Assures all cytology gyn and non-gyn protocols, and qa and qc procedures are followed by utilizing appropriate documentation to reduce chance of error or adverse patient outcome.
Communicates with caregivers (nursing units and physicians, etc.) using customer service skills to assure high quality cytology testing processes and optimum patient care outcomes.
Performs quality control assessments on stain and routine instrument and microscope maintenance using accrediting agency standards and manufacturer specifications to assure accuracy of laboratory test results and correct basic instrument malfunctions and notify supervision when appropriate.
Maintains personal skill competencies and assures section in-service and education needs are met by staying abreast of current trends, regulations, safety, to comply with licensing and accrediting standards and regulations.
Utilize the US to accurately and effectively report patient results following established procedures.
- Performs related accountabilities/responsibilities as required or directed. Knowledge/Education:
BS degree from an accredited college or university and completion of an AMA approved program of cytotechnology. Experience: One year of experience as a cytotechnologist. Licensure, Registration, Certification:
American Society for Clinical Pathologists certification or eligible CT (ASCP). Physical
Work requires the physical demands of standing, bending, lifting, stooping or performing other work requiring light physical exertion (up to 30 pounds) on an occasional basis (up to 15% of time) and frequent walking; or moderate physical exertion (up to 50 pounds) on an intermittent basis (not a routine part of the job). Environmental Conditions: Work involves frequent exposure to unpleasant working conditions or undesirable elements, may involve exposure to a variety of elements which are potentially hazardous or harmful which require exercise of well defined precautions for protection from injury or illness.
American Esoteric Laboratories (AEL) is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Weekends: Occasional Start: 8:00a Shift: Day End: 4:30p External Company URL: www.ael.com
Full Time Shift: 1st Shift Hours: Job Details: This is a Temporary Position
Under the direction of the Laboratory Manager, the Cytotechnologist is responsible for the microscopic examination for cytologic diagnosis of GYN and NON-GYN samples. The Cytotechnologist follows procedures to established and approved protocols , requiring the exercise of judgment and responsibility; Maintains equipment and records; Performs quality Assurance activities to test performance, in consultation with the Cytopathology Director. Education: Bachelor's Degree by an accredited school of Cytotechnology or equivalent education.
Experience: 3 years experience in Cytotechnology Laboratory within the last 10 years is preferred. Licensure: National Certification (for example: ASCP) or be able to pass appropriate National Certification Exam within one year from date of hire.
CYTOTECHNOLOGIST II Category: Allied Health Facility:
Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center Department: 01 PATHOLOGY Schedule: Flex Shift: Days Hours:
Varied Job Details: Job Summary Under the technical and general direction of the Laboratory's Medical Directors, the cytotechnologist performs microscopic examination of cytology specimens to deliver an appropriate diagnostic decision to the pathologist. With the administrative direction of the Lab Facilitator and the Administrative Director, the Cytotechnologist maintains the cytology section in compliance with regulatory agencies.
Exhibits the F.I.R.S.T. values (Friendliness, Innovation, Respect, Service, and Trust). Working Conditions, Hazards and Physical Effort Works standard 40 hour week with supervisory approval as necessary to meet staffing and workload requirements. Works in a pathology setting with adequate lighting, space and well maintained area and equipment. Physical exertion is light with minimal lifting required.
Near visual acuity and color discrimination required for microscopic examinations. Potential for exposure to toxic, caustic, and flammable chemicals/reagents. The tasks of this job involves exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissue.
Stress may be associated with difficult cases requiring prolonged time on the microscope. Must be able to lift 25 lbs. independently. Minimum Qualifications or Equivalents Education:
Bachelor of Science Degree. Completion of accredited Cytotechnology program. Experience: Three (3) years' experience required.
Five (5) years' experience preferred. EQUIPMENT USED/SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED: Color discrimination and near visual acuity required for microscopic examinations. Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations ASCP registration as Cytotechnologist (CT).
Cytotechnologist Department: Laboratory Schedule:
Other Shift: All shifts available Hours: Casual - as needed Job Details:
- Cytotechnologist Laboratory Position Summary Under supervision, receives, prepares and microscopically screens specimens of body fluids and other cellular materials in order to detect the presence of cancer and other pathological conditions. Maintains records, performs related clerical duties, and prepares reports.
Job requires knowledge, skill, and ability to provide care for a neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patient population. Responsibilities Receives, logs, and labels specimens of body fluids and cellular materials to be examined such as cervical scrapings, gastric washings, bronchial washings, sputum, urine, etc. Performs cytological preparation procedures when required.
Utilizes the microscope to screen slides for evidence of Cancer cells or other pathological conditions by examining cell size, shape, and color. Refers to established classifications and classifies each slide according to cells observed and provides preliminary diagnosis of all slides examined. Refers all abnormal findings to the Pathologist for further study and final diagnosis.
Submits 10% of all normal slides, randomly selected, to the Pathologist for review. Maintains accurate records and statistics as required by regulatory agencies. Maintains cross files of positive findings for reference purposes and retrieves reports and/or slides as requested by the Pathologist.
Requirements Must possess a high school level of knowledge plus 4 years of college with 12 semester hours in science, at least 8 of which must be in biological science. It must include also completion of a twelve month cytotechnology course accredited by the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation of the American Medical Association. Must be registered or registry eligible as a CT (ASCP). Work requires six months on-the-job experience.
Some analytical ability necessary to operate various laboratory instruments, gather information, and prepare reports. Computer skills necessary. Maintains certification in CPR.
Knowledge, skill and ability to provide care for a neo-natal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patient population. Licking Memorial Health Systems is an equal opportunity employer and maintains compliance with all state, federal, and local regulations. Licking Memorial Health Systems does not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Cytotechnologist PRN Chippenham Hospital Richmond, VA
Chippenham Hospital, a 466-bed acute care facility, *is located on the Southside of Richmond, a short drive from the beautiful, outdoor Stony Point Fashion Park, offering an abundance of shops, restaurants, and even a dine-in movie theater. Chippenham Hospital is a Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) facility, who ranks 63rd on Fortune’s 100, and is one of the largest healthcare systems in the U.S, where healthcare employment opportunities are almost endless!
The Joint Commission awarded Chippenham Hospital the Gold Seal of Approval and named us a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures for advanced primary stroke, heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, perinatal care, hip and knee replacement and surgical care. We are also a Certified Chest Pain Center and a *Level II Trauma Center,*which means we provide fast, skilled care in life’s most difficult moments.
Know policies, procedures and practices necessary to carry out the normal function of a Cytotechnologist. Be aware of the role of the position and its potential impact on patient care, the work unit, the department, and facility operations.
Make decisions and establish priorities on procedure-oriented operations. Work in an independent manner with limited supervision. Demonstrate initial and annual competency in Cytology.
Prioritize work to ensure completion within the assigned shift and within expected intervals. Assists lab leadership in the completion of miscellaneous duties. Share daily workload within the pathology section.
Make a contribution to section and lab department objectives. Maintain constructive, open communication with supervisors, co-workers and customers. Demonstrate an awareness of patient/client expectations and seek to satisfy.
Demonstrate proficiency in all laboratory computer related tasks, including: correct accessioning of specimens, correct documentation of specimen comments/deficiencies, when to re-register, etc. Perform and document instrument and department maintenance. Perform quality control for special stains according to established procedures.
Troubleshoot procedures and instruments effectively. Possess an understanding of and an ability to participate in: Laboratory/Department QA, Safety Plans/Policies, Lab Billing Compliance, Code of Conduct, and HIPAA requirements as they relate to your position, the department and the facility. Respect and adhere to the mission, vision, and values of CJW Medical Center. EXPERIENCE Required - Graduate of approved Cytology school Preferred - 1-2 years CT experience EDUCATION Required - Graduate of CAHEA approved Cytology school Preferred - Graduate of CAHEA approved Cytology school
CERTIFICATION* Required- ASCP/NCA eligible Preferred- ASCP/NCA certified _ _
Cytotechnologist - Cytology
Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for screening and interpretation of cytologic specimens for diagnosis and instruction of staff.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Degree from a school of Cytopathology Technology required ASCP certification required. Up to 3 months related experience required. Applicants trained outside of the United States must provide documentation of equivalency evaluation of their education and training to ensure it is equivalent to CLIA requirements. The equivalency evaluations will be performed by a nationally recognized organization. Ex. National Association Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES), the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE). The applicant is responsible for paying the cost of the equivalency evaluation. If chosen for this position, you may be required to pass a Post Offer Employment Physical Exam in accordance with the measurements listed in the Work Task Analysis (WTA) report. This job description is a general outline of duties performed and is not to be misconstrued as encompassing all duties performed within the position. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position's responsibilities. Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce. Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/ Disabled.
Union: Non Bargained
Cytotechnologist - Surgical Pathology
Description Performs specialized and complex technical tasks in screening slides of clinical specimens to detect evidence of cancer or other pathological or diseased conditions. Duties include marking abnormalities, recording diagnosis, an filing cases for subsequent review with pathologist. Responsibilities include: Screening GYN, NGYN specimens, FNA adequacy determinations, QC re-screening, LIS result entry, specimen preparation and teaching Cytotechnology students. Work hours are M-F 8:00am - 4:30pm.
Qualifications Requires a minimum sixty semester hours college education
, including at least fourteen semester hours of biological sciences and/or chemistry, and satisfactory completion of a one year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology. Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Chapel Hill
Department:* 1000-UNC MEDICAL CENTER
Job Posting:* Nov 17, 2017, 2:44:11 PM
Shift:* Day Job
Req ID:* LAB005NZ
The position will be located at the North Point Laboratory (Greenville and LBJ). Hours: • Full Time; First Shift • 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM Required Minimum Education: • Bachelor’s Degree Required Minimum Experience: • Experience with ThinPrep Imager Required License/Certification: • CT(ASCP) – Cytotechnologist • ThinPrep Pap Test Certification within 90 days of hire
• Knowledge of appropriate lab and regulatory guidelines including, but not limited to: CLIA, CAP, CLSI (NCCLS), Texas Department of Health, EPA regulations regarding regulated waste disposal. • Excellent communication skills • Ability to work in data entry, processing, testing and reporting • Has a good working knowledge of the computer system for result entry and data entry Job Responsibilities (Including but not limited to): • Screens both gynecological and non-gynecological specimens within the established workload limits • Participates in quality control of the gynecological specimens with the appropriate level of experience • Documents the number of cases screened and hours spent screening daily • Participates in CAP continuing education slide reviews and complete the required number of continuing education hours with acceptable performance • Maintains microscopes • Communicates on the phone with clinics and resolves problems in a professional manner • Generates Monthly QA reports as instructed by Pathology Manager • Performs other duties a required Entity Information: Texas Health Physicians Group (THPG) includes more than 800 physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants dedicated to providing quality, patient-safe care at more than 240 offices located throughout the DFW Metroplex.
THPG members are active in group governance and serve on multiple committees and councils. Ongoing Texas Health initiatives, like the Diversity Action Council and Living the Promise, have helped to create an inclusive, supportive, people-first, excellence-driven culture and workplace, making THPG a great place to work Employment opportunities are only reflective of wholly owned Texas Health Resources entities. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employees or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Be sure to check out all of our other current openings at www.scientificsearch.com
- Work with our Medical Director and growing team of pathologists and cytotechnologists to process and screen gynecological and non-gynecological specimens
- Provide an interpretation of the patient cases to the Supervisory Cytotechnologist and pathologists.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a Certificate in Cytology
- 3-5 years experience
- Experience with the ThinPrep Imaging System (Review Scope a plus)
- ASCP Board Certification Cytotechnologist , CT.
For immediate consideration please email Brian Mayza, at Brian@Scientificsearch.com and please mention job number 12582.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!