Data Analyst Job Description Sample
At CRICO, a data-driven insurance company, we use medical malpractice claims and other patient safety data through quantitative methods (e.g., multivariate/predictive models) and qualitative approach to identify current and emerging risks. These results and insights are used to inform our internal operational and strategic decisions as well as design of interventions to improve patient safety through partnering with our insured institutions and clients.
We are looking for a person who is a big picture thinker and also detail-oriented. We expect this individual to be innovative and drive continuous improvements in analyzing data and producing insightful reports and models in anticipation of and in reaction to emerging customer needs and CRICO Leadership.
The Data Analyst will have or develop an understanding of patient safety and medical malpractice insurance. He/she will work independently and as part of a team to take an analysis from beginning (problem/question being asked) to end (synthesis and conclusions), including designing the analytic approach by partnering with the requestor, carrying out the analysis, modifying the analysis based on feedback, and presenting findings internally and sometimes externally. In addition to producing analyses, the Data Analyst also needs to coordinate with requesters and/or other involved parties within or across departments to ensure an on-time and quality delivery of an analysis.
1. Partners with CRICO colleagues (Patient Safety, CRICO Strategies, Claims, Underwriting, Finance), business users (CRICO’s member institutions and non-member clients) to understand business problems, define requirements, develop analytic plan, and execute against it to ensure on-time delivery of results and insights in serving CRICO, CRICO’s members and clients
· Works with internal and external customers and Analytics colleagues to understand and document business needs
· Follows policies relating to privacy and security, and obtains necessary sign-offs
· Queries data and creates data pulls, reports, and graphics in response to regular and ad hoc requests from CRICO’s members and clients
· With understanding of objectives and goals of the analysis, synthesizes and interprets data/results effectively and succinctly to make appropriate and relevant conclusions
· Tracks and monitors progress on reports and analyses as well as partners with business leads/subject matter experts to manage and deliver results
· Validates results before presenting them to the requester
· As requested, presents findings to project team, senior management team, or CRICO’s members/clients
2. Develops, maintains, and documents knowledge in risk management, patient safety and loss prevention activities, insurance operations, and reflects understanding back in analytical work
3. Identifies, explores, articulates, and resolves issues surrounding data quality and analytic processes
4. Develops and maintains effective relationships across CRICO departments─ Patient Safety, Strategies, Finance, Underwriting, and Claims to promote whole-brain thinking and insurance analysis
5. Partners with the IS Department to help optimize data structures and analytic tools as well as to evaluate and recommend analytics tools
6. Researches, stays current, and shares findings and tools with other analytics team members on advancements in the industry and health analytics best practices to support CRICO’s brand as a thought leader
7. Represents the Analytics & Coding Team in internal and external meetings as requested
8. Performs other related duties and ad hoc projects as required
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in quantitative disciplines (such as biostatistics, statistics, economics, public health, or mathematics) with 1-2 year’s relevant experience in analytics, informatics, or statistics required. 1-2 year work experience may be substituted with a master’s degree in quantitative disciplines in biostatistics, statistics, economics, public health, or mathematics.
- Knowledge and skills in statistical methods is required
- Proficiency with some statistic software and/or reporting tools is required
- Knowledge of relational databases and familiarity with Structured Query Language (SQL) is preferred
- Experience in healthcare, insurance industry, or health policy is preferred
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!