Director Dental Services Job Description Sample
Research Project Manager, School Of Dental Medicine, Health Policy/Health Services Research
Dental Services Liaison
Director Of Resident Services
Property Services Director / Maintenance Director
Director Food Nutrition Services I - Escondido, Ca
Systems Director Food Nutrition Services - Escondido, Ca
Director Of Business Services
Planning & Development Services Director
Maintenance Services Director
Startup Services Director
Organization: Kapor Center
Department: Community Engagement
Title: Startup Services Director
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports to: Chief Technology Community Officer
Position Type: Full-Time
Kapor Center Overview:
The Kapor Center operates at the intersection of technology and racial and social justice. Along with our sibling organizations, the SMASH and Kapor Capital, we work to create a “STEM to startup” approach to diversifying the tech ecosystem and entrepreneurship.
Our Community Engagement efforts strive for Oakland to have a thriving ecosystem with equitable access to the tech sector. This means:
- building and coordinating on-ramps into the tech sector through computer science education, workforce development, and connections to industry, for both school-aged youth and residents with non-traditional pathways
- activating an ever-growing number of tech startups by founders of color through the Oakland Startup Network
- fostering an inclusive tech sector that strengthens the City’s character and fabric through cross sector partnerships and collective impact
- sharing and modeling what we learn and experience beyond Oakland
We’re currently engaged in a number of partnerships with other nonprofits, companies, startups, individual stakeholders, and government entities to spur systems-level development and blossoming of our tech ecosystem.
We are excited to further our entrepreneurship work by launching a pre-accelerator program to increase and accelerate the number of tech startups led by founders of color from idea to pre-seed stage. We want to especially help East Bay founders of color go from idea to scalable technology ventures. Through targeted programming in partnership with vetted high quality service providers, we will together activate a thriving ecosystem and reduce the barriers underrepresented entrepreneurs face in the critical early years.
The Startup Services Director will source and assess tech startups and proactively grow the founder pipeline. They will drive the curriculum development, adoption, and measurement of the pre-accelerator programming per cohort and will also execute tailored programming promoting a diverse Oakland tech entrepreneurship ecosystem with mission aligned partners.
- Design, Implement, Evaluate startup services
- Develop and activate tailored pre-accelerator programming alongside Entrepreneur-In-Residence
- Manage sourcing, vetting, selection process of participating startups
- Manage sourcing, vetting, selection process of startup coaches and advisors
- Host roundtables of founders, investors, and community members
- Conduct evaluation of programming
- Host external startup events such as pitch competitions and associated events
- Formalize referrals/intros to Accelerators/Angels/VCs (track referrals, measure impact of OSN on founders)
- Develop Alumni Engagement programming
- Grow the pipeline
- Scan and track early stage tech startups in the East Bay via Oakland Startup Network using online and offline tools. This will entail growing and managing directory of OSN tech startup resources
- Support OSN community management via online and offline strategies and tactics
- Track impact measures to show increased number of new tech ventures launched by diverse founders in Oakland as well as tech ventures moving to the next stage in their journey (i.e. grow customer base to become profitable faster, access to talent to grow team, referrals to mentors/accelerators/investors for those at the scaling).
- Manage integration of different tech platforms (including Oakland Startup Network resources).
- Manage entrepreneurship community via online media, i.e. help manage Slack group, email distribution, blogs/newsletters, and other digital marketing products.
- Support management of entrepreneurship community via offline mediums (in person) such as management of community roundtables, focus groups, events (i.e. Founder, Investor, Ecosystem Service Provider Quarterly Roundtables, monthly programming, partner events). This also includes supporting Chief Tech Community Officer, Events Director, and partners to co-design and ensure programming events are executed at high quality (frequently including evenings and occasional weekends).
- Represent the Kapor Center in a variety of settings - planning groups, panels, interviews, and convenings, among others - with the purpose of advancing central Kapor Center Community Engagement department goals and larger Kapor Center cross-team goals.
- Work with Chief Tech Community Officer to implement and lead community-focused activities that further our efforts to build a diverse, inclusive, and robust Oakland tech entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- 5+ years of experience in startup ecosystem
- Startup experience (preferably Former founder)
- Has previous early stage tech startup programmatic experience
- Has previous curriculum development & evaluation experience
- Experienced in sourcing, vetting, manage startups and associated coaches and advisors
- Deep understanding of the funding landscape (venture capital and other sources of funding)
- Familiarity with Bay Area/Oakland and national entrepreneurship landscape including startups, incubators, accelerators, investors
- Experienced hosting external startup events such as pitch competitions and associated events
- Sharp project management experience of multiple concurrent initiatives with keen attention to process, detail, high quality work, and timeliness in work products
- Community building & organizing experience (specifically in tech centered communities)
- Interest in emerging technology innovation trends and resulting social impacts on urban communities
- A progressive belief in social/racial/economic justice, and an analysis of how domestic inequality plays out particularly among race and gender lines.
- Familiarity with and significant connections to racial/ethnic communities underrepresented in the tech sector
- Ability to work well under pressure, maintaining composure and professionalism in occasionally stressful conditions (related to events)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to facilitate, moderate, and present
- Optimistic, approachable, dependable, and flexible attitude in order to meet changing organizational and event needs, particularly in the ambiguity of a fast-paced environment. A team player!
- Ability to work evening and occasional weekend events
Ideal candidates will also demonstrate the following:
- Ability to work in a dynamic office with diverse coworkers and a highly entrepreneurial culture
- Deep and authentic commitment to our organizational values:
- We Close Gaps, Open Doors, and SMASH Barriers.
- We Value Tech as a Tool to Scale Social Impact.
- We Lead with Racial Justice and Reflect the Communities We Serve.
- We Honor Distances Traveled, Not Just Finish Lines.
- We Challenge with Urgency, Respect, and Purpose.
- We Don’t Just Talk. Positive Intent Must Lead to Positive Action.
- Innovative and creative thinker who is not afraid to try something new and inspire others
- Very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness.
- Strong work ethic with minimal need for direction.
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- A desire to work and grow in a fast-paced and fun environment
Oakland-based candidates will be prioritized, as we’re committed to local hiring and talent development.
The Kapor Center provides competitive compensation commensurate with experience, and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance, 401K, paid time off, holiday benefits and more. The Kapor Center office is located in the uptown district of Oakland, with excellent access to public transportation.
Please apply with your cover letter and resume. The Kapor Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!