Electrical Research Engineer Job Description Sample
Research Specialist - Data Center Electrical Engineer (Maplewood, MN)
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives. With $32 billion in sales, our 91,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is seeking an electrical engineer for the Datacenter team in Electronics and Energy Business Group Lab located in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Research Engineer will be part of the Datacenter team, working along with the business divisions, datacenter customer facing organization collaboratively. The role will involve interacting with key datacenter customers to derive the technical needs and bring new concepts to solve the problem. Focus will be on development and deep understanding of current and future server architecture to enable innovative solutions.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Translate the computer server architecture needs into technical requirements
Leverage and collaborate across organizations to develop solutions
Serve as a conduit between material solution providers and datacenter infrastructure customers
Build roadmaps that allow the lab to conceptualize new products for growth in this market
Develop prototypes and data packages to support customer engagement
Lead and/or participate in global teams
Effective communication, interpersonal and cross-functional team skills
Initiate or contribute to the development of Intellectual Property
Possess a Bachelor's degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) in a science or engineering discipline from an accredited institution
Minimum three (3) years of experience working in electrical or hardware related programs in a private, public, government or military environment
Datacenter industry experience leading and/or participating in product or platform development teams
Doctoral degrees in, electrical engineering or computer hardware engineering or physics or related discipline from an accredited institution
Minimum two (2) years of experience in related programs or related industry
Capability and familiarity with computer server architecture and materials
Experience translating customer requirements into the technical aspects of applications
Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage projects in a fast-moving environment
Strong communication skills (written, oral and presentation)
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: May include up to 30% domestic/international travel
Relocation Benefits: Are authorized for this position
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world. Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Here, you go! For information about a career at 3M go directly to www.3m.com/careers.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
A fast-growing Southern California high tech company specializing in advanced military defense, homeland security, and energy solutions is seeking a highly motivated Electrical Engineer for its Electro-Optics Division. The successful candidate should be eager to work in a very dynamic, fast-paced research and development setting with a number of Ph.D.-level engineers and scientists developing novel solutions for the DoD, DOE, NASA, and other federal agencies.
Our ideal candidate will perform hands-on end-to-end electronic design, assembly, integration, and test. The tasks will also include system architecture development, simulation, and trouble-shooting in accordance with project team objectives, requirements, and schedules. This is a “hands-on” engineering position; candidates with heavy supervisory experience need not apply. Candidates with experiences in system engineering, avionics, optics, and/or industrial design are encouraged to apply
- Hand-on end-to-end complex digital and analog electronics development.
- Component selection, schematic capture, PCB layout, fabrication, verification and firmware development.
- Board-level technologies including miniature surface mount components, high-speed serial interfaces. Experience with rigid-flex, flex, or HDI PCBs a plus.
- Hardware design for implementing embedded systems, microcontroller, FPGA, prototyping, testing, validation, and troubleshooting
- Firmware: Design and development experience for embedded systems is a plus.
- 3+ years hand-on experience in development, integration, prototyping, and test of electronic or optoelectronic hardware and firmware for avionics, surveillance and/or sensor systems by following the system specifications and requirements
- Seamlessly transition between multiple design and testing assignments occurring simultaneously to ensure timely execution and delivery, coordinate collaborative efforts with multi-disciplinary project team members
- ECAD tools for schematics and PCB layout (Altium Designer preferred)
- FPGA tools (e.g., Xilinx ISE, Altium Quartus)
- Simulation and analytical tools; Avionics and MIL-STD such as MIL-SPEC-704, MIL-STD-461F, MIL-SPEC-810G is a plus
- Deriving, developing and documenting detailed electronics design, prototyping, testing, validation, and trouble-shooting to meet system specifications and user/customer requirements
- Track and perform to fast-paced program schedules to ensure timely execution and delivery
- Coordinate and communicate with supervisor and among the program team members
- Use of design CAD for schematics IDE/SDK for embedded systems using microcontrollers and FPGAs (e.g., Xilinx)
- Hand-on electronic assembly and integration to meet performance, environmental and human factors requirements; additional electronic software/hardware integration is a plus
- Use of test equipment such as power supplies, signal generators, mixed signal oscilloscope, network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, and control software including LabView
- Advanced degree (MS Preferred) in Electrical Engineering, Avionic Engineering, System Engineering, or a related field.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written – and experience in technical writing to produce documentation
This position requires a U.S. person or the ability to obtain an Export Authorization from the appropriate government agency for non-U.S. persons.
POC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
|JOB TITLE:||Electrical Engineer||DATE REVISED:||5/30/2018|
|CLASSIFICATION:||Full Time||Job No.:|
The Electrical Engineer, under the direction of the Engineering Manager, is responsible for implementing electrical components into any number of devices that use electricity. The Electrical Engineer also helps to design and manufacture electrical parts and electronic software and components for commercial applications.
- Oversee and coordinate activities involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation, testing, maintenance, and repair of mechanical or electromechanical products and systems
- Activities may involve but are not limited to electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines, power-using machines such as refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, machine tools, and material handling systems
- Inspect and test components of electrical systems, including transformers, transfer switches, and switch gears; run/test computer programs, connect computer jacks and plugs, and test for adequate operations
- Perform detailed calculations to establish standards and specifications; perform initial and ongoing design reviews
- Submit a scope of work for each project that includes budgetary numbers and the goal of each project
- Collaborate with Project Managers to develop an accurate accounting of all engineering hours required for various types of internal projects
- Utilize blueprints, wiring diagrams, and manufacturer’s installation manuals to complete assigned projects
- Survey electrical systems, circuits, and plans
- Complete work orders and record material utilized on jobs
- Evaluates electrical systems, products, components, and applications by designing and conducting research programs; applying knowledge of electricity and materials to make appropriate recommendations to modify designs or repair equipment as needed
- Develops electrical products by studying internal and external customer system requirements; researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials
- Develop alternative designs using Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- Research and analyze data determining feasibility of design application for customer proposal
- Design products or systems, such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines, and mechanical, thermal, hydraulic, or heat transfer systems, applying knowledge of engineering principles
- Plan and oversee engineering personnel in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and development of methods and procedures for testing products or systems
- Direct and coordinate fabrication and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications
- Coordinate operation, maintenance, and repair activities to obtain optimum utilization of machines and equipment; identify and recommend system improvements to improve technical performance
- May design products and systems to interface machines, hardware, and software; inspect electronics to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and safety standards
- May evaluate field installations and recommend design modifications to eliminate machines or system malfunctions and ensure compliance with design and equipment specifications and safety standards
- Support production department with product development and testing; provide quality assurance for ongoing products
- Keep current with the latest technical innovations in electrical transport systems
- Remain in compliance with current National Electric Code
- Additional cross-functional duties as needed
- A bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 2 years minimum professional practical electrical engineering experience
- 2 years minimum circuit design and programming experience
- Proficiency in C++ code, LINUX computers, computer network design, and server/router setup
- Spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. The Office Support Worker may also have to do some light lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
- Carry, pull and push up to 50 pounds of dead weight
- Climb up and down a ladder
- Sit, stand stoop, kneel, squat, crouch and or crawl
- Twist or turn in confined spaces
- Dental / Vision
- Long and Short Disability
- Life Insurance
- 401K Benefits w a company match
- Tuition Reimbursement
We are drug free workplace that conducts pre-employment physicals and drug screenings. We are regulated by the department of transportation and will be conducting random drug testing at regular intervals.
You may apply for a position with D/T Carson Enterprises using one of the following methods:
Option 1: Apply directly online: http://completecoach.catsone.com/careers/
Option 2: Schedule your interview directly with our corporate recruiter via phone or email
- 800-300-3751 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1863 Service Court, Riverside, CA 92507
Electrical Engineer (Ee)
Local candidates only - relocation not available.
Reports To: Engineering Manager Department:
Location: Gilbert, AZ Status: Full Time/Salary/Exempt/Not Safety Sensitive
The Electrical Engineer is responsible for the design, testing and troubleshooting of a broad range of electrical/solar systems and equipment. Design, develop and test the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment, components, or systems for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering required
- 1 – 4 years of hands-on experience related to electrical systems
- Hands on experience with building solar/renewable resources prototype systems is a must Examples needed
- Strong leadership and analytical skills
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Good writing, technical, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Detail oriented with strong follow through and organizational skills
- Able to multi-task and to accept and adapt to change quickly
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Government security clearance
- Confer with engineers, customers, and others to discuss existing or potential engineering projects and products
- Design, implement, maintain, and improve electrical instruments, equipment, facilities, components, products, and systems for commercial, industrial, and domestic purposes
- Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, construction, and installation standards and specifications
- Inspect completed installations and observe operations, to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with operational and safety standards
- Plan and implement research methodology and procedures to apply principles of electrical theory to engineering projects
- Prepare specifications for purchase of materials and equipment
- Prepare and study technical drawings, specifications of electrical systems, and topographical maps to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements
- Assist in developing capital project programs for new equipment and major repairs
- Conduct field surveys and study maps, graphs, diagrams, and other data to identify and correct power system problems
- Develop projects from concept to completion
- Maintain control of project expenditures to avoid cost overruns
- Conduct field investigations and prepares reports for problems or issues
- Work with electrical engineering staff and design team
- Works with project managers to assure work meets business needs, applicable codes and standards of quality
- Work is performed in an office setting
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs, talk, hear and see
- May occasionally be required to lift moderately heavy objects (up to 25 pounds) during the course of the workday
- Must be able to read, write and speak English
*STARA Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates with the E-Verify Employment Eligibility program
*Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
*Position contingent upon contract funding/approval
Pay Range: DOE
This position will design electrical power generation and distribution facilities for isolated utility power systems in rural Alaskan communities, produce design drawings, specifications and procurement documents for construction and provide technical support for facility construction and maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop engineering calculations, design drawings and project specifications for utility construction and maintenance projects
- Design prime power generation installations to operate under minimal supervision with automated and non-automated switchgear for remote isolated power grids
- Design supervisory control and data acquisition systems with communication systems to automate plant processes and provide remote monitoring
- Design, analyze and maintain machine language programs
- Analyze power distribution and generation systems for capacity, load balance, system protection coordination and arc flash analysis
- Integrate distributed renewable generation facilities to operate on small isolated grids, maximizing generating efficiency and maintaining power quality
- Design overhead and underground power distribution facilities
- Maintain accurate system drawings and engineering records
- Provide technical and project support for construction and maintenance of Cooperative facilities
- Inspect and test completed work and certify compliance with design standards
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field. High School Diploma plus 15 years of directly related experience in electrical utility can substitute for the degree specification requirement.
- 5+ years of related utility experience; AutoCAD experience preferred
- Professional Engineer License, registered in the state of Alaska or able to obtain Alaska license within 6 months of employment.
- Technical competence in electrical power generation and distribution systems with strong communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to communicate clearly and accurately orally and in writing
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to establish trust and credibility internally and externally
- Knowledge of electrical theory, national Electrical Code, and National Electric Safety Code. Familiarity with Rural Utility Service Design Specifications a plus.
- Skills required to interpret laws and regulations and to formulate compliant designs and details
- Proficient in use of computer programs including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to read and write program language for PLCs
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills
- High-degree of flexibility to meet multiple and changing priorities
- Must be available for overtime
- Consistently long hours on both a daily and weekly basis
- Intermittent trips (travel up to 25% of the time) to remote Alaska villages located in extreme climatic conditions and inaccessible by commercial carriers
- Intermittent on-site review by travel on foot, all-terrain vehicles, pickup trucks, open boats, single engine aircraft, and other available on-site transportation in remote arctic villages and environs for the purpose of inspecting facilities
- Intermittent subsistence lifestyle in remote arctic villages while involved in on-site review of electrical facilities, which lifestyle may require sleeping in industrial facilities in locations without beds, preparation of one's own meals, and general lack of amenities common to commercial public accommodations
- The employee is required to exercise significant discretion in judgment, as well as a consistently calm emotional demeanor during times of conflict.
AES provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. While working within the parameters of an Alaska Native Organization, hiring preference will be given to shareholders/spouses/descendants and other Alaska Natives in accordance with Public Law 93-638.
AES matches job seekers with opportunities in which they are recognized and rewarded for their experience, skills and abilities. AES is proud to be an Alaskan-owned company building relationships on integrity and trust since 1977. Our Services are always FREE to candidates.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Lead Electrical Engineer
This position will do the design work from conception through to installation of electrical projects in new and existing plants. These projects will service both internal and some external plants and have budgets anywhere from $10k and up to $5M.
Project work will include the following: power distribution (480 volts and below), schematics, wiring diagrams, equipment layout and detailed installation design for motors, gear boxes, power converters and actuators. This position will also be supported by drafting personnel, chemical engineers, mechanical engineers, control engineers and a research department.
Relocation assistance will be provided for the right candidate.
- B.S. Electrical Engineering degree required
- 6+ years of experience doing design through installation of capital projects with budget of at least $100k.
- Experience with 480-220-110-volt equipment, motors, gear boxes, wiring, diagrams and pumps.
- A plus would be experience with PSM, PLC or DCS controls, Navisworks (Freedom), or AutoCad.
- Willing to travel 10% of the time
- BS, MS or PhD in EE/CAD required and/or 10-15 years of relevant experience.
- Hands-on experience in design, development and launch of high-volume consumer electronic product is a must.
- Requires strong technical problem solving skills, managing through ambiguity, organizing and documentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing, leadership, verbal and written communication skills required.
- Experience using Cadence CIS Capture and DE-HDL schematic capture tools
- Basic knowledge on Allegro layout design tools
- Basic knowledge on TCL and/or SKILL scripting is a strong plus for the role
- Excellent project management, communication and teamwork skills required.
Electrical Design Engineer
Location: Be 30 minutes’ northwest of Albany, NY (the state capital) and 40 minutes southwest of Saratoga Springs. Near major cultural events, outside recreation and places to have fun throughout the year. Go see the ballet, listen to great bands at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC), boat on beautiful Lake George, hike the famous trails of the Adirondacks, or ski at Lake Placid. There is plenty to keep you and/or your family busy. And, if you want the occasional big city attraction, it is a short drive to Boston, Montreal, and New York City.
- Develop electrical drawing designs using AutoCAD and AutoCAD Electrical to create single power diagrams, schematics, P&IDs, interconnect diagrams, panel layouts and bill of materials.
- Develop conduit and cable tray layouts, conduit and cable schedules, performs conduit and cable tray fill calculations, and generates cable and wire interconnection reports.
- Create drawings for Electrical enclosures, equipment, instruments, and installations details with a strong understanding of electrical codes including NFPA 70, 79 and UL508A.
- Plan, schedule work, and final delivery of drawings.
- Organize and maintain project drawings according to applicable standards.
- Collaborate with onsite contractors to create sketches, red lines, and as-built.
- Perform design coordination, drawings reviews, and creates markups.
- Develop innovative solutions and is knowledgeable of construction processes.
- Certificate in Drafting and Design.
- AAS in Electrical or Design and Drafting is preferred.
- 2-5 years experience in a manufacturing environment or OEM machine builder or system integrator.
- A strong understanding of drafting techniques, discipline codes, and engineering terminology.
- Possess abstract thinking skills and be able to complete basic mathematical calculations.
- Additional experience that would be a plus:
- Strong understanding of Rockwell Automation electrical components including PLCs, I/O modules, VFDs, Servo drives, terminals, motor starters, HMIs and safety relays.
- Familiarity with safety circuit design for industrial control panels and equipment.
- Working with SolidWorks Electrical or EPLAN Electrical.
Electrical Engineer (1193)
We are currently seeking an Electrical Engineer to join our team in a design focused role, which will involve performing power and lighting design functions for a variety of interesting projects including schools and universities, healthcare facilities / hospitals, commercial buildings, and municipal buildings.
Excellent compensation, benefits and advancement opportunities are available!
- BSEE or related degree
- EIT or PE preferred, but not required
- 2-5 years of experience in the electrical design of power and lighting systems for projects in the commercial, educational, healthcare, and/or municipal or government markets
- Experience working with industry softwares as well as both Revit and AutoCAD
Electrical Engineer 2- Nuclear
San Marcos, CA 92078
Schedule TBD- 4/10 or 5/8
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!