Diesel Locomotive Electrician - Birmingham, AL
Maintain, repair, rebuild, inspect and install all electrical wiring and equipment on diesel electric locomotives, passenger trains, motor cars, tractors and trucks.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
* Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
* Wire, maintain, repair, rebuild, inspect and install equipment such as: Rheostats, Control Systems, Transformers, Motors & Generators, Welding Machines, Electric Lighting Fixtures, Winding Armatures, Battery Charging Systems, Magnet Coils, Switchboards & Meters, Compensators & Rotors, Electrical Collectors
* Inside and outside wiring at shops, buildings, and yards and on structures
* Measure, cut, thread, bend, and assemble connections to control panels and junction boxes
* Test circuit connections
* Diagnose, repair, and replace electrical malfunctions in components including loading charging, transition problems, wheel slip, sander circuits and high and low voltage grounds
* Perform work activities utilizing voltages up to 1200 and amperages up to 1500
* Examine parts for wear and/or defects such as brushes contact tips, slip rings, armatures, diodes, bearings and fuses
* Interpret test instrument indicators
* Repair speed recorders, air compressors, turbo and fuel pumps and temperature switches
* Change light bulbs on locomotives and building
* Interpret information from computer monitors or printouts
* Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager
Training Rate - $28.92/hour Apprentice (1st 345 work days from start date at work location) - 90% of journeyman rate Apprentice (2nd 345 work days from start date at work location) - 95 % of journeyman rate Full Journeyman Rate - $32.13/hour
You will attend paid training, which could be out of town. CSX will pay for travel and lodging as required by collective bargaining agreement. Minimum Qualifications
* High School Diploma/GED
* 18 years of age or older
* Valid Driver's License
* One year experience reading blueprints or locomotive prints
* Two years electrician experience
* Completion of an electrical vocational or trade school program
* Journeyman Electrician
* Heavy work, lifting up to 70 pounds occasionally and up to 100 pounds on a rare basis
* Walk long distances over uneven terrain
* Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
* Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications)
* Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
* Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
* Basic Math
* Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
* Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, or safety-toe boots
* Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
* Complete annual training and pass safety rules examinations
* Must pass all required assessments
* Must pass a background screening
* Must pass a post-offer medical examination, including a drug test
* This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement and membership is req.
Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. When a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities. In line with our commitment to safety, the applicant selected for this position may be required to successfully complete medical screenings and a background check.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 190 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the EEO is Law poster. Click here to view the OFCCP pay transparency provision information.
CSX Transportation and its subsidiaries are not seeking outside assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from staffing agencies or search firms for employment or contractor opportunities. Any resumes submitted by an outside vendor to any employee at CSX via e-mail, Internet, or directly to hiring managers without a valid written search agreement in place with the Talent Acquisition / HR department will be deemed the sole property of CSX. No placement fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired as a result of the referral, or through other means.
POST JOBS FOR FREE