Production Manager, Film & Video Studies
Department College of Visual & Performing Arts (CVPA) Alternate Department Description
Film & Video Studies
Criminal Background Check Standard Background Check Motor Vehicle Background Check No Statement of Economic Interest Not Applicable Restricted Position? Job Category Classified Staff Role (State) Job Title Media Specialist III Working Title Production Manager, Film & Video Studies Job Type Full-Time Position Number 02275z Recruit Number STF9562 Working Hours Location Fairfax, VA Other Location Pay Band Payband 4 Salary Commensurate with education and experience. Web Announcement
Production Manager, Film and Video Studies
The Film and Video Studies department within the College of Visual and Performing Arts at George Mason University seeks qualified candidates for the Production Manager position. The Production Manager will manage the Mason Film Lab, a sustained program that generates a short film each year with a visiting guest director, students, faculty and staff. The Production Manager will provide oversight of student productions, manage student exhibitions, support faculty led creative research regarding production and post-production work, and supervise student workers. A successful candidate will have experience as a Line Producer, Assistant Director, and/or Production Manager for independent and / or studio film work; have a highly professional demeanor; be a self-starter who can work and solve problems independently; be reliable and responsible; be deadline-oriented, flexible and creative.
1. Production Management: The Mason Film Lab
* Working closely with and at the direction of faculty, Production Manage Mason Film Lab productions, from development through exhibition, supporting promotion, all conducted with ample, effective, and professional communication and adherence to Mason Film Lab, industry union, and faculty, staff, and program needs such that all production support, safety, and logistics are promptly achieved;
* Responsible for insurance certification processes for Mason Film Lab;
* Plan equipment purchases and rentals for Mason Film Lab with faculty and staff;
* Coordinate production logistics, such as meals, transportation, rentals;
* Support the post-production workflow with Mason Film Lab guest directors and faculty producers;
* Coordinate logistics for guest directors and visiting technical crew, such as contracts, accommodations, and project needs;
* Train and coordinate students involved in Mason Film Lab films as required;
* Support faculty and staff in securing in-kind and monetary support for Mason Film Lab; and
* Oversee creation of Behind the Scenes and creative promotional elements for Mason Film Lab productions
2. Production Oversight: Student Productions
* With Program Director, faculty and staff, create and enact a procedure for vetting student production plans according to faculty driven guidelines;
* Guide students in book production spaces (on and off-campus) and securing equipment from GMU and area rental houses, coordinating with the Film at Mason Technical Coordinator;
* Guide students in best production practices, according to regional industry standards (Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC);
* Interface with University Risk Management on insurance procedures and manage insurance protocols and procedures for student productions; and
* At the direction of faculty, support students in their staged readings of screenplays including casting and scheduling.
3. Student Exhibitions Management
* Organize and manage exhibitions of student films and staged readings of screenplays including scheduling, event space logistics, budgeting, and coordination of technical support with faculty and staff for the Mason Film Festival (spring), Fall Showcase, traveling Best of Film at Mason programs, etc.;
* Build and maintain relationships with outside organizations supporting student showcases including off-site exhibition spaces; and
* Coordinate and maintain archives of student films and promotional print and electronic media for showcases.
4. Support Faculty Led Creative Research
* Support faculty led creative research as it involves students, program development, and / or university resources as directed.
5. Supervise student workers.
* Production Management, Assistant Directing and /or Line Producer experience that includes managing production schedules, budgeting, and post-production schedules for film and television;
* Experience in film and television workflows and industry procedures including locations permissions, insurance procedures, set protocol, safety, actors' and trade union requirements and procedures;
* Ability to multi-task and work independently without direct supervision, and ability to prioritize and initiate tasks through problem-solving to completion with thorough, timely, and effective communication;
* Ability to develop and carry out details of a project once overall parameters has been established;
* Ability to work with faculty, staff and students within the university; ability to build and maintain professional relationships outside of the university on the program's behalf;
* Ability to learn new software and university procedures when training is provided;
* Ability to work with confidential information such as student records;
* Skills must include being very organized, able to set priorities, and excellent communication and grammar skills, both verbal and written;
* Knowledge of supervisory practices and procedures with the ability to hire, train, and supervise student staff;
* Incumbent must be available occasionally on weekends, early mornings and evenings for productions and events;
* All typical skills necessary for operating in an office environment; and
* Understanding and experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Excel and similar budgeting software, and industry specific scheduling software (like Movie Magic), and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Mac OSX.
* Bachelor's degree in related field;
* Producing and / or Directing experience;
* Experience working with students as an educator;
* Experience in film distribution and marketing recommended;
* Experience in maintaining a website and social media channels;
* Experience working in the arts, academic institutions, or other non-profit environments recommended;
* Staff management experience recommended; and
* Familiarity with Banner, Discoverer, eVA, Travel Request System, Patriot Web and University policy and procedures.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
For Full Consideration, Apply by: Posting Date 09/20/2019 Job Close Date 10/20/2019 Open Until Filled? No Telework Friendly? Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report "Up and Coming" spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason's diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Campus Safety Information
Mason's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/
POST JOBS FOR FREE