Cement Finisher Worker 3351 (Application Period Begins February 7, 2020)
$46,604 to $68,131
Annual salary is at the start of the pay range. The current salary range is subject to change. Please confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
A Cement Finisher Worker does semiskilled work in mixing, placing, and finishing concrete surfaces; and may act as lead worker of a small crew.
* Two years of full-time paid experience with the City of Los Angeles working as a helper to a Cement Finisher or Cement Finisher Worker; or
* Two years of full-time paid experience in placing and finishing concrete.
* Applicants using qualifying experience under Requirement #1 must submit with their application a City of Los Angeles "Verification of Work Experience" (VWE) form with the required signatures, verifying their work experience as a helper to a Cement Finisher or Cement Finisher Worker. The VWE form should indicate the type of work performed and the amount of time spent performing such work. The form may be downloaded at http://per.lacity.org/exams/vwe-sup.pdf. Applicants may attach the completed VWE form to their on-line application at the time of filing, or will have seven (7) calendar days from the on-line submissions date to e-mail a copy of their VWE form to email@example.com. The subject line of your e-mail must include the exam title, your name and indication it is a VWE. In the body of your e-mail, you must include your first and last name, last four digits of your Social Security Number and contact phone number. Applicants who fail to submit their assigned VWE form within the time required will not be considered further in this examination.
* Applicants who lack six months of the above experience may file for this examination. However, they cannot be appointed until the full experience requirement is met.
* A valid California driver's license is required. Applicants will be disqualified and not eligible for hire if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI).
* Some positions may require a valid California Class B driver's license. Candidates may not be eligible for appointment to these positions if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI). For positions requiring a valid Class B driver's license, candidates must submit a commercial driving history in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles CVC Section 1808.1.
WHERE TO APPLY & APPLICATION DEADLINE
Applications will only be accepted on-line. When you are viewing the on-line job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the "Apply" icon. On-line job bulletins are also available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacity.
Applications will only be accepted on-line on the dates listed below:
Filing Period 1: From 8:00 am Friday, September 13, 2019 to 11:59 pm, Thursday, September 26, 2019
Filing Period 2: From 8:00 am Friday, February 7, 2020 to 11:59 pm, Thursday, February 20, 2020
Applicants are urged to apply early to ensure you have time to resolve any technical issues you may encounter.
In accordance with Civil Service Rule 4.2, all applicants who apply may not be tested in this examination. To meet anticipated hiring needs, only a limited number of qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the interview in the following order: 1) Los Angeles City Promotional applicants who meet the minimum requirements. You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to apply for this examination as a promotional candidate; 2) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles on a part-time or exempt basis who meet the minimum requirements; 3) Remaining applicants who meet the minimum requirements in sufficient numbers to meet hiring needs based on a random sampling of those qualified candidates. Applicants not selected to be tested may re-apply in a subsequent filing period in order to be considered for that period's selection process.
Multiple-Choice Test: 100%
The examination will consist entirely of a weighted multiple-choice test administered and proctored on-line. In the on-line multiple-choice test, the following competencies may be evaluated: Mathematics, Judgment and Decision Making, Self-Management, Safety Focus, Customer Service, Teamwork, Follow Written Directions, and Job Knowledge, including knowledge of: terminology commonly used in concrete work; the methods of cement placement, and characteristics of basic concrete mixes and aggregates; the types and uses of additives, and proper mixtures and their applied uses; the types of tools and materials used for stripping forms; the common practices used for form construction; commonly used tools for the removal of concrete and simple excavation; soil-moisture requirements when laying concrete; the methods of imparting particular finishes to concrete; cleaning requirements applied for finishing tools; the fuel types used for mixer trucks and other job related tools; the characteristics of prepared materials for concrete repair work; the methods for preparing and using mortar and grout; and other necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Additional job analysis information can be obtained by going to http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=jobanalyses and clicking on Competencies under Cement Finisher Worker.
The multiple-choice test will be proctored and administered on-line during a single session. Candidates invited to participate in the on-line multiple-choice test will be able to take the test from a remote location using a computer with a webcam and a reliable internet connection or will have the option to take the test onsite at a City facility. Candidates will receive an e-mail from the City of Los Angeles outlining the dates and specific steps on how to take the multiple-choice test on-line. It is anticipated that the remote proctored multiple-choice test will be administered between MONDAY, APRIL 22, 2019 AND MONDAY, APRIL 29, 2019, and between MONDAY, MAY 20, 2019 and MONDAY, MAY 27, 2019. Candidates who do not complete and submit the multiple-choice test on-line using a computer by the specified date and time stated on the notice they receive will not be considered further in this examination. Additional test dates may be added as needed.
For candidates who apply during Filing Period 1, it is anticipated that the on-line multiple-choice test will be administered between TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2019 AND TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2019.
For candidates who apply during Filing Period 2, it is anticipated that the on-line multiple-choice test will be administered between MONDAY, APRIL 6, 2020 AND MONDAY, APRIL 13, 2020.
FAQs for on-line testing is available at http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=employmenttestingprocess. Candidates who do not have the required equipment may have the option to take the multiple-choice test onsite at a City facility.
* This examination is based on a validation study, and as provided by Civil Service Commission Rule 4.20, the multiple-choice test will not be subject to candidate inspection.
* As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf.
* Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
* A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list.
* Incumbents of some positions in this class may be required to pass an annual or periodic work fitness evaluation to determine their eligibility for continued employment in this class.
* You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to file on a promotional basis.
* The promotional list will ordinarily be used ahead of the open competitive list. However, if open competitive candidates receive a higher score, without military credits, than the highest available promotional candidate, after adding seniority credit at the rate of 0.25 of a point for each year of continuous classified City service, the Civil Service Commission, upon request of the appointing authority, may approve certification of such open competitive candidates ahead of the promotional candidates.
* You may take the Cement Finisher Worker multiple-choice test only once every 365 days.
* Your rank on the employment list may change as scores of candidates from other administrations of the examination are merged onto one list.
* In accordance with Civil Service Rule, Sec. 4.24, review periods may be combined. Candidates in the examination process may file protests as provided in Sec. 4.20, 4.22, 4.23 as applicable and within the required time frame; however, the Personnel Department may respond to and resolve protests prior to the establishment of the eligible list.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position. All City employees are required to be Disaster Service Workers.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN BOTH ON AN
INTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL AND AN OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
POST JOBS FOR FREE