Furnace Operator Job Description Sample
Heat Treated And Brazing Furnace Operator
Aerojet Rocketdyne is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader providing propulsion and energetics to its space, missile defense, strategic, tactical missile and armaments customers throughout domestic and international markets. We are seeking a
Heat Treating and Brazing Furnace Operator for our Canoga Park, CA facility to work either the 1st or 2nd shift. This is a Union position.
Set up and operation of Heat treating and controlled atmospheric brazing furnaces to braze rocket engine thrust chambers and other assemblies where vacuum, explosive and/or inert gas atmospheres are used in production. Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each) 100%- Plan brazing and/or heat treat operations of developmental, prototype and production assemblies in controlled atmospheric brazing furnaces where explosive and inert gasses are used in the atmospheres. Set power and temperature controls, gas flow panels and instrumentation for electric or gas fired furnaces. Adjust switches on temperature control instruments for multiple cycle brazing.
Load assemblies on furnace base and make hookups of thermocouples and pressure lines as required.
Operate auxiliary power equipment to unload furnaces and cool down with cooling muffles. Perform heat treating and/or brazing operation as required.
Operate furnace to heat treat and/or braze assemblies including leak check and purge, instrumentation, heat-up, braze and cool down. Take action when emergency conditions arise during phases of operations to assure safety of personnel and equipment. Over-ride furnace controls by manual operation when necessary.
Requirements High school diploma or equivalent and five (5) years of experience in heat treating and brazing operations.
Demonstrated experience working with and around hazardous chemicals including acids.
Must have a proven safety record and experience with PPE used with hazardous chemicals.
Experience handling large (500 lbs +) complex hardware with tooling and other handling devices (ie: pallet jacks, cranes, lifting straps, etc).
Experience reading, comprehending and using planning and drawings to meet required specification requirements.
Experience using measurement instruments to ensure parts are set-up and indicated properly to meet requirements.
Must carry or obtain applicable certifications to work in an environmentally controlled room.
- Must pass the written and practical exam required for Heat Treated and Brazing Furnace Operator. US Citizenship required. Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement. Work Environment and Physical
The work environment may require a combination of indoor and outdoor activity (hot, cold, wet, humid conditions) with a varied amount of walking, standing, sitting, climbing (i.e. ladders, stair, scaffolding, ramps), balance (maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces), bending, reaching, handling/fingering (seizing, holding, grasping, turning picking, pinching), stooping, kneeling, crouching and ability to lift/carry/push/pull up to 50 pounds. Work may require the ability to operate material handling equipment (forklift, crane, hoist, man lift, etc.) in a safe manner. While performing the duties of this job, employees may work around variable noise levels or with fume or airborne particles, hazardous chemicals, etc. requiring the use of personal protective equipment such as face protection (safety glasses, goggles, face shield), foot protection (i.e. steel toed shoes, rubber boots, etc.), gloves, hard hat, shop coat and hearing protection.
Some positions may require Respirator clearance up to and including the Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) Level A clearance. Work requires the ability to change into or out of personal protective equipment when entering or exiting manufacturing, laboratory, or other areas. Some employees may be required to drive between various locations within the Company facility or between locations.
Work duties may also be required to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer and/or the ability to travel by air or auto. Ability to distinguish colors may also be necessary. This position may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization. Need help finding the right job? We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
We consider the consistent demonstration of positive, cooperative, self-motivated, courteous and professional behavior to be an essential function of every position. While different positions have different primary areas of responsibility and technical expertise, everyone needs to work as a team, and we expect all employees to contribute as necessary to get the job done. Unless otherwise stated in the requirements section of an individual job listing, our positions require U.S.
Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residency, or other status as a U.S. Person as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3). Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or theinterview process should e-mail the Human Resources Department at
CategoryManufacturing and Production - Other
Hot Punch Furnace Operator
Job Description General
This is a job summary which includes essential job duties of the position. More specific information regarding duties may be provided upon request. In this role the selected person will need to have a good time management skills due to running 4 furnaces at once. The selected person will need to be able to work in a team environment and have a strong understanding of 5s and TPM. Duties: * Learn to operate multiple pieces of equipment including a horizontal furnance, butt welder, punch press.
Work as part of a team to identify quality and production gaps in the operation of new
Flex hours/schedule as demand dictates
Participate in safety initiatives.
Meet customer quality and production needs.
Utilize SAP for transactions, Inventory control
Willing to cross train on multiple pieces of equipment. Climate: Position requires highly motivated individual that can work in a rapidly changing manufacturning environment. Work is conducted in an environment of management and factory skilled and non-skilled personnel, with special emphasis on practicing team principles.
* Will to be hands on with equipment troubleshooting and process improvements
Good analytical and problem solving skills
Some computer ability
Good mathematical ability Hours:(1) M-F 5p-5a (2) A/B 5a-5p
EEO Statement All qualified applicants to Stanley Black
& Decker are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic.
Requisition Number: 49053BR
City:* East Longmeadow
Business:* US - GTS - Hand Tools Accessories and Storage (HTAS)
Hand loads specified proportions of scrap metal and returns to furnace.Sprinkles fluxing compound on molten metal to bring impurities to the surface.Turns valves to regulate injection of fuel and air into furnace, or moves controls to regulate flow of electricity and water coolant through electrodes to heat furnace to specified temperature.Observes color of metal and instruments such as voltmeter, ammeter, wattmeter and pyrometer.Removes crucible containing molten metal from furnace, moves levers to tilt crucible or open crucible door, or breaks clay plug to pour metal into ladle for transportation to molds.Skims slag from surface of molten metal.Transfers molten metal from furnace to teapot ladle.Covers open risers and sprue with hot top as soon as pourers fill a mold.Pours molten metal in sand molds when needed.Cleans furnaces and equipment.Must be able to figure furnace and ladle additions if lead man is not available (vacation or emergency).Be able to do minor repairs i replace furnace leads or hydraulic lines.Inspect inside of furnace after each pour for thin spots in lining and make decision if it is safe to run.Help set up heats and write mold (casting) numbers and quantity poured in the heat.Tag heat with heat number and material.Help shake out heats.Watches melt scrap for quality.Relines furnaces when the linings become unsafe.Insures the tap temperature is correct for the type of metal being poured and for the size and configuration of the casting in the mold.Must operate forklift and skid loader.Responsible for prepour and final coupons for spectrograph analysis.Operates electric hoist to assist in loading or moving materials and products.Performs all work in a safety conscious manner. Be aware of dangers and take all appropriate counter measures to protect yourself and others around you.Wear all PPE that is required.
Ear plugs, respirator, face shield, apron, sleeves, leggings and steel toe boots.Responsible to maintain a clean and safe work area consistent with the Companyis housekeeping policies.Hampton Hydraulics, LLC, dba Seabee, a Ligon Company, recommends the National Career Readiness Certificate. For information on how to obtain this certificate, contact your local IowaWORKS office.
Furnace Operator - 2Nd Shift
Description:Includes the following, other duties may be assigned. Set gas flow and temperature for heat-treating furnaces.
Monitor furnace temperature for specific heat treating jobs and make adjustments as needed according to product specifications after consulting with the lead or shift supervisor. Set up and operate the Supers Line and other furnaces as needed Position products in baskets; load furnaces and time prescribed heating cycles to bring metal to proper temperatures; document procedures. Monitors the condition of alloy tooling and other equipment, notify the shift supervisor when repairs and replacements are needed.
Performs repetitive work involving prescribed or established procedures. Measure atmosphere dew point on furnace and gas generator to verify correct processing environment. Use Brinell, Rockwell, and other testing devices to measure hardness of parts.
Check parts for distortion before and after the heat-treating process. Assist supervisor (i.e. evaluate history on prior heats) and set tempering temperature as necessary. Daily check furnaces for maintenance problems; perform minor maintenance procedures.
Complete all necessary documentation and paperwork. Follow all clean-up and housekeeping procedures.
Comply with all quality, safety, 5S and work rules and regulations. QualificationsQualified Furnace Operator C; Has ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals, and percent; ability to read specifications and gauges; ability to complete standard production documentation; ability to use various hardness measuring devices to include Brinell, and Rockwell; ability to operator a forklift truck; ability to operate charge cars, overhead and jib cranes; ability to work in a very hot environment; and the ability to occasionally lift up to 40 lbs.
Aerospace company seeking energenic trainee or experienced furnace operator. Responsibilities include operating computerized production equipment.
Able to follow detail instructions. Must be able to multi task. 3 shifts available.
The Furnace Operator is responsible for the successful loading and unloading of parts. This will include the reading of lineups to determine the arrangements of various loads. The Furnace Operator also has an awareness of material in furnaces to determine sequence of loading. This individual will learn to operate a forklift/hi-lo to transport baskets and parts throughout the plant location.
Requirements of the Furnace Operator:
- High School Diploma required
- Operation of heat-treat equipment
- Read lineup to determine the arrangement of various loads
- Frequently lifts, carries or otherwise moves and positions parts weighing up to 40 lbs. when loading and unloading parts from heat-treated baskets
- Typically operates a forklift/hi-lo to transport baskets
- Inspects parts to ensure quality compliance
- Creates shippers and certifications on completed orders
- Responsible for safety and general housekeeping in work area
- Presence at the employer’s site during regularly scheduled shifts and business hours.
- Frequent walking within a plant environment
- Close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regular use of hands to manipulate, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms.
- Regular standing, talking, hearing, climbing or balancing, and lifting or moving up to 40 pounds.
- May be exposed to heat, fumes, noise, and humidity, etc. Safety equipment is provided.
- Regular stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling
- Able to pass a drug screen and physical examination
- This job requires (or may require) a criminal background check. Convictions and pending felony charges are not an absolute bar to employment and will only be considered if required by law or there is a substantial relationship to the circumstances of the particular job or if bond ability is at issue
Compensation for the Furnace Operator:
- Pay for this position is $11.00-$11.75 per hour
Schedule for the Furnace Operator:
- 6:00am-6:00pm or 6:00pm-6:00am
LaJoy Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Fraser Manufacturer is looking for a Furnace Operators
- Press Operator background a plus
- Furnace operations including loading and unloading of material
- Complete operation of all furnace equipment
- Wage based on experience
- 2nd and 3rd shift available
Furnace Operator - Will Train Heat Treat Specialist
Operate Industrial Furnace, heat treat of metal products:
GREAT ATTENDANCE A MUST.
1) Assists FURNACE OPERATOR by performing any combination of following duties: Seals furnace opening with fire clay and firebrick, using paddle and shovel.
2) Charges furnace with materials, such as scrap, ore, flux, reagents, slimes, oxides, pellets, or coke, by moving levers to open bin or hopper gates, by shoveling, or by signaling FURNACE CHARGER or OVERHEAD CRANE OPERATOR to load furnace.
3) Turns valves to force air through tuyeres into molten metal to oxidize impurities.
4) Observes gauges and manipulates controls on panel to admit nitrogen to prevent igniting of magnesium.
- 5) Skims slag from molten metal, using bar, rabble, or ladle.
- 6) Cleans slag from tuyeres to let air flow, using bar, hammer, or pneumatic drill.
- 7) Signals OVERHEAD CRANE OPERATOR, or uses electric hoist, to position ladles or buckets near furnace, and moves levers to tilt furnace into pouring position.
- 8) Scrapes and chips slag, solidified metal, furnace lining, and residue from furnace, using hammer, chisel, and scraper.
- 9) Breaks condensers and defective retorts with sledgehammer for removal to crusher.
Our Staffing Coordinators will work with you to find the ideal job that fits your personal goals. SMITH uses Job Matching Tools to match your abilities and interests ensuring that your talent is utilized to its fullest potential.
Vacuum Furnace Operator
Corry Manufacturing Company, a northwestern PA manufacturer of component parts for the aerospace and gas turbine industries is looking to fill the following position:
Vacuum Furnace Operator
This individual will need to have some mechanical ability, be able to read blueprints, perform basic shop math, maintain appropriate tolerances, and be able to set furnace temperature, time and cycles.
Interested candidates should send their resume to: Corry Manufacturing, 519 West Main Street, Corry, PA 16407, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Paula Merkle to request special accommodations required to apply in an alternative way.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer / VEVRAA Federal Contractor -Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with disabilities/Sexual orientation/Gender identity
Remedy Intelligent Staffing is currently hiring for a 3rd Shift Heat Treat Operator for our valued client in Antigo, WI. Apply today to be considered for this great opportunity!
Shift: 3rd Shift, 11:00 PM - 7:00 AM
- Load and prep heat treat loads
- Monitor the furnace load status
- Maintain records of daily heat treat information
- Responsible to ensure that quality standards are being met
- Perform other duties as required
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!