The Product and Applications Development (PAD) Engineer will be responsible for the development of new products, applications, or manufacturing processes, and provide internal and external product technical support for LyondellBasell's Advanced Polymer Solution segment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
* Support the business growth strategies by development of new or modified differentiated products, applications, or processes to meet market or customer objectives, lower overall cost, or improve application performance.
* Manage collaboration in the development and/or importation and of global technologies (formulations, performance, processing) to achieve commercialization and sales in domestic market.
* Design and manage technical service and technology development projects, responsible for technical deliverables of application development projects, and problem solve customer complaints.
* Prepare and deliver technical presentations at meetings or conferences, and actively participate in technical organizations and professional associations related to the targeted BU core technologies.
* Develop and manage product formulation and quality specification control plans, advise preferred production methods, support scale up activities associated with products and processes at internal or subcontracted manufacturing sites, act as a technical consultant to manufacturing sites for product or process related items, and responsible for disposition of aged or off quality inventory.
* Provide guidance to the business unit in respect to supplier selection and alternate sources of key raw materials. Assist in safe handling and use of raw materials in development and manufacturing.
* Provide technical advise and training to internal ( sales support, technicians, etc.) and external customers on product recommendations, processing, and application of new or existing products.
* Research and assess the impact of intellectual property associated with the development of products, processes and applications, and support the business and legal counsel in matters of our freedom to operate, securing and protecting intellectual property, and assessment of competitive products.
* Assist creation and management of product datasheets, technical bulletins, and other technical product literature and support market development in creation of application or market literature.
* Assist in development of, and support and adhere to, the quality management system and design and development procedures.
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties and responsibilities are to be performed as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed herewith are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
1. Knowledge of the properties, characteristics and processing behavior of polymeric materials, additives, functional modifiers, and the formulation thereof.
2. Intimate knowledge of polymer processing and testing methods and the ability to operate such equipment.
3. Competent in project management, application of statistical experimental methodology, process improvement techniques, and fundamental business operational practices.
5. Competence in engineering principles, fabrication methods and tooling, and product design criteria.
6. Knowledge of quality systems for design and development, such as TS 16949, Design and Development requirements.
7. Sound computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and information technology systems.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelors Degree or higher in the field of Polymer Science, Plastics Engineering, Chemistry, or Related Engineering degree. Ph.D preferred.
2. Minimum of 5 years of product development in compounded plastics.
* Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
* Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason and logic.
* Technical Skills - Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
* Interpersonal - Speaks clearly and persuasively in all situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
* Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
* Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
* Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
* Initiative - Volunteers readily; Seeks increased responsibilities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
* Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources.
Ability to read and interpret documents, write routine correspondence effectively and to speak fluently with internal and external customers. Must be a fluent in oral and written communication of the English language. Spanish and German languages are a plus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work is primarily performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to development, applications, and process work. In the standard office environment visual acuity and physical dexterity to operate a computer and other office equipment is required. Under typical office conditions, and the noise level is usually quiet. In the standard lab and manufacturing environment, visual acuity and physical dexterity to operate processing and testing equipment is required. The noise level in the lab and manufacturing work environment is usually moderate to high. Pending activity and location, personal safety equipment may be required to be worn. The associate must have good or correctable vision as pertaining to job as well as be able to lift, move, stack, or load up to 70 lbs. Also, the associate must be able to climb ladders and work from elevated platforms. Proficiency to handle hazardous materials required. The associate will periodically travel to client sites, subsidiary and subcontractor sites, conferences, etc.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to see supervisory assistance as appropriate.
A. Schulman, a LyondellBasell Company, is a leading international supplier of high-performance plastic compounds and resins headquartered in Akron, Ohio. Since 1928, the Company has been providing innovative solutions to meet its customers' demanding requirements. The Company's customers span a wide range of markets such as packaging, mobility, building & construction, electronics & electrical, agriculture, personal care & hygiene, sports, leisure & home, custom services and others. The Company employs approximately 5,000 people and has 58 manufacturing facilities globally. A. Schulman, a LyondellBasell Company, reported net sales of approximately $2.4 billion for the fiscal year ended August 31, 2015. Additional information about A. Schulman, a LyondellBasell Company, can be found at www.aschulman.com.
Our accomplishments are the result of our strict adherence to four guiding principles – OPEN, HONEST, LISTEN and ACCOUNTABLE. These principles define our organization's culture, drive our internal and external behavior, and provide the foundation for the actions we take and the decisions we make every day. Each principle describes how we approach our business, partner with our customers and suppliers, work together within our organization, and communicate with investors.
A. Schulman, a Lyondell Basell Company, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Company is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Company are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
POST JOBS FOR FREE