General Counsel Job Description Sample
About NewsBreak (Particle Media, Inc.)
News Break defines a new way for users to engage with local news. Since its founding in 2015, it has grown by leaps and bounds. We’re an AI-powered news aggregator that delivers the most relevant local news to users.
We’re the #1 news app on Android and #3 on iOS in in the U.S. in 2018. With 4M+ daily active users (source: App Annie), we’re ahead of major news outlet and platforms such as The New York Times, CNN News, The Washington Post, Yahoo News, and SmartNews. We are also the most downloaded mobile app in the news category in 2018 across iOS and Android.
Particle Media, Inc. (the company owns and operates News Break) is a series-B startup backed by the world’s leading investors such as IDG Capital. We’re one of the highest growth ventures in the Silicon Valley.
We are looking for an excellent General Counsel to add value to and be the “backbone” of our business. You will ensure that company operates within the law at all times, offer counsel on legal issues, create an effective guardian of the organization and facilitate business strategies development. The successful candidate will be able to ensure legal compliance and limit risk exposure.
Specifically, we're looking for candidates with rich experience in copyright related laws, startup fundraising, and general litigation related areas.
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to management
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
- Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically
- Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks
- Base your decision making process on ethics and integrity
- Create associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders
- Deal with external parties (regulators, external counsel, politicians, clients)
- Attract, develop, direct, motivate and drive performance from team
- Draft agreements that minimize risks and maximize legal rights
- Meet legal objectives
- Deal with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas
- Keep abreast of legislative changes
We provide highly competitive compensation package including base salary, bonuses, and stock options. Benefits include great Medical, Dental and Vision. A flat organization and family-like culture makes this a perfect environment to make huge impact on our product and grow your skill set.
HealthLabs.com's mission is to provide easy, accessible and affordable online health care services for everyone. Everything we do focuses on helping our patients become healthier and happier. We have easy-to-use online platforms that provide fast, convenient, private and cost-effective clinical services anytime, anywhere. Our trained health counselors will guide our patients every step of the way while our physicians are ready to diagnose and deliver treatment. We provide innovative health care services through the elegant mixture of technology, science and patient-centric care that gets our patients back on the path towards wellness.
HealthLabs.com is looking for a General Counsel who will act as the company’s primary legal advisor – for partnering with the business leaders in achieving the business objectives and providing strategic and timely legal advice to the CEO and the senior management teams across multiple lines of business.
- Advise senior leadership on company strategies and their implementation
- Provide legal counsel on general employment law, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory and governmental change and compliance
- Oversee the work of any outside counsel, managing external legal services and expenses
- Develop and negotiate contracts, agreements and other transactional documents for all types of business transactions.
- Oversee compliance programs and conduct company training on legal topics
- Assure that employee plans and policies comply with legal requirements
- Prepare forms of contracts, terms and conditions and other legal documentation
- Manage intellectual property portfolio and process trademark and copyright applications internally
- Communicate effectively and collaborate with people across the company
- Other duties as assigned by the CEO
- JD from an accredited law school and valid license to practice law in Texas
- Experience working in healthcare field
- Attention to detail and the ability to work independently
- Excellent written, verbal and analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues simply
- Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships to positively influence effective outcomes while maintaining adherence to proper legal standards
- Flexible Schedules
- Holiday Pay
- Paid Time Off
- Relaxed "Tech-Focused" Environment
- Awesome Coworkers
- Company Sponsored Health Insurance
- No Dress Code
- Company Lunches
Southern Veterinary Partners (SVP) is a veterinarian owned and managed regional network of nearly 100 animal hospitals with the common goal of providing quality veterinary care to companion animals.
SVP has an immediate opening for a General Counsel position to join our rapidly growing team in Birmingham, AL. This position is responsible for leading strategic and tactical corporate legal initiatives. The general counsel provides senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and oversees the work of outside counsel. The general counsel is directly involved in leading multiple acquisition transactions per month as well as negotiating critical contracts.
- Serves as key legal advisor on all major business transactions, acquisitions and joint ventures
- Structures and manages the company’s internal acquisition functions and staff
- Oversees the selection, management and evaluation of outside counsel
- Collaborates with the selling doctor and their team of accountants, lawyers, etc
- Manages the due diligence project plan to keep milestones on track and address/escalate issues
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters
- Leads efforts to develop internal policies to comply with regulatory bodies and achieve internal objectives
- Juris doctorate degree from an accredited law school and State Bar certification
- 8+ years legal experience in a law firm environment or relevant in-house experience
- Significant experience executing business acquisition transactions
- Exceptional knowledge of contracts and general business law
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to influence and coach others
- Well organized, attention to detail, and able to manage multiple projects under pressure
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven leader with ability to make sound judgments
- Ability to negotiate with both internal and external parties
- Competitive salary based on experience and expertise
- Will offer relocation reimbursement, if applicable
- Benefits package to include: Health Care (Medical, Dental & Vision), Retirement Plan, Paid Time Off, Short-Term Disability, Teladoc, and Discounted Veterinary Care
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!