Officer, Jimmy Fund Golf
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
Jimmy Fund Golf is the oldest and largest organized charity golf program in the nation. The program supports over 160 annual volunteer-run golf tournaments around the country. Jimmy Fund Golf events collectively raise over $8 million for groundbreaking research and care at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute annually. Jimmy Fund Golf stands alone as a comprehensive example of the good that can be achieved by hundreds of volunteer tournament organizers and thousands of golfers who are united in their desire to connect their love for the game of golf to a higher cause - funding cancer care and research. For more information about Jimmy Fund Golf, please visit www.jimmyfundgolf.org.
The Jimmy Fund Golf Officer position is responsible for helping the program and the entire Division achieve their revenue goals by assisting a large portfolio of volunteer-run (third party) events and consulting with them on fundraising best practices and event logistics. In addition, this position manages JF Golf's marketing program in order to drive new business opportunities, manages all new tournament operations and inquiries, and oversees our intern for a six-month cycle, in addition to various other duties.
This position will be responsible for evaluating existing programs as assigned as well as exploring new philanthropic revenue streams which may include new event locations, formats, sources of support and new business models.
In addition, this position will evaluate current programs and create/execute approved plans to expand and diversify the participants and donors for the events assigned to broaden our constituent-base and the inclusivity of our event community.
All staff will embody Dana-Farber's Core Values: Impact; Excellence; Compassion & Respect; and Discovery every day. They will add value to the Dana-Farber community by seeking opportunities to collaborate across the Institute. In addition, they will foster an ethical, positive, results-oriented culture founded on open communication.
For more detailed information on the position, please read below.
Resume and cover letter required with application submission.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
3rd Party Event Support (Advocate)
* Primary tournament contact (advocate) for a large portfolio of Jimmy Fund Golf (JFG) events cumulatively raising approximately $750,000+, including many of our staff-assisted events that are more hands-on in fundraising assistance and logistics
* The advocate's role includes:
* Create pre-season plan with specific goals for each tournament
* Attend committee meetings for events raising $15K+ to provide support and guidance
* Record and execute JFG action items for each event
* Provide & continually update revenue projections for each tournament
* Keep records of suggested/implemented ideas to increase fundraising
* Complete annual post-tournament analysis & suggest new areas for change/growth
* Ensuring thorough support and stewardship of tournament committee
* Supporting JFG team on high revenue producing events as assigned
* Increasing/maintaining fundraising through continual analysis of revenues and expenses
* Serving as an advocate for new tournament prospects with higher potential
* Completing approximately 25 annual donor visits. Follow up each visit with a timely call report
* Ensuring tournament directors remain compliant with JFG and DFCI policies/procedures
* Attend select JFG events as assigned to speak on behalf of DFCI and/or provide logistical support
Manage JF GOLF Marketing & PR
* Manage and drive Jimmy Fund Golf marketing goals and annual strategic plan with Assistant Vice President & Assistant Director
* Focus on promotion of Jimmy Fund Golf (traditional, mini golf, Sunrise to Sunset, and any new business developments) through marketing efforts targeted to both existing DFCI donors and external targets
* Support Assistant Vice President, Associate Director #1, & Assistant Director in activation of new business marketing plans, especially focusing on the expansion of Jimmy Fund Golf into Florida and securing corporate events
* Ensure timely execution of all marketing projects, in collaboration with the Philanthropy Communications team, by meeting deadlines and reporting on progress on a regular basis. Projects include, but are not limited to:
* Reviewing and editing copy for all marketing projects
* Social media and online marketing
* Print and online ads
* Prospect database management
* Researching new streams of advertising to meet program needs
* Jimmy Fund Golf website and online Tournament Director Center
* Banners, goody bags, posters, table tents, brochures, etc.
* Program signage
* Serve as primary liaison to Jimmy Fund Golf staff for all projects involving Philanthropy Communications
* Serve as primary liaison to DFCI Communications to ensure that JFG media pitches are being made when appropriate
* Manages all aspects of JF Golf online events calendar logistics
* Review, edit and approve all marketing materials, publications, or projects in association with the Assistant Vice President and Assistant Director
* Manage marketing and advertising budget and timely invoice payments
Manage New Tournament Operations
* Set annuals goals and create strategic plan for recruiting new 3rd party events (traditional, mini golf, golf marathons, etc.) under the direction of the Assistant Director & Assistant Vice President:
* Track all new business inquiries and conduct outreach in a timely manner (or assign to other staff members as needed)
* Work with IS and Communications on systems for receiving inbound inquiries
* Assist senior JFG staff with all new business recruitment initiatives
* Strategize on recruiting new Jimmy Fund Golf events from internal and external prospects:
* Utilize other departments in the recruitment of new events where applicable
* Build a timeline for meeting with other departments to educate them on Jimmy Fund Golf and to ask for their help in recruiting new tournaments from their donors
* DFCI campus marketing strategy including outreach to faculty & staff
* Grateful patient outreach
* Work with Research Dept. to identify suitable prospect lists
* Generate referrals from other Philanthropy departments and DFCI community
* Develop strategy for distribution of Jimmy Fund Golf brochure with Philanthropy office
* Create/update materials used in solicitations
* Evaluate recruitment strategies:
* Review monthly report on new events with Assistant Director and Assistant Vice President
* Compile year-end report to analyze results and recommend changes
Intern Management Supervisor
* Manage the hiring of interns in conjunction with other Officers on the JFG team
* Supervise maintenance of relationships with college counselors
* Manage Intern for 6 month period, ensuring manageable workload and positive overall internship experience
* Create project plans and wrap up reports as assigned
* Develop a working knowledge of all golf systems (ClearView, Luminate, EMS, PeopleSoft, etc.)
* Participate in annual Service Unit "drill-down" meetings as appropriate
* Attend all mandatory meetings required of this position
Other Projects/Duties as Assigned
Reports to Assistant Director. This position has supervision of one intern and will seek major decision-making authority from direct supervisor. However, independent decision-making on day-to-day tasks and good judgment is required for dealing with Institute donors, trustees, volunteers, and senior staff and confidential information.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor's degree required with a minimum 3-5 years of professional experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Organized and detail oriented with excellent written and oral communication skills; possess the ability to work well with DFCI Departments and donor/volunteer constituencies; juggle multiple projects and work independently in a very fast-paced environment. Very strong writing and proof-reading skills are necessary. Marketing, copywriting, social media, project management, & public speaking experience is a plus. Strong word processing and Excel skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office are required. A high degree of confidentiality must always be exercised.
PATIENT CONTACT: No.
This position is located in Brookline, MA. Some travel, attending events as well as off-site volunteer committee meetings on a regular basis is required, which may occur outside regular work hours and on weekends. Speaks publicly on behalf of Dana-Farber and the Jimmy Fund at several events. Requires light lifting for event set-up. Weekend and night work are required occasionally.
DFCI DISCLAIMER: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
We're hiring! Learn more about working in the Division of Philanthropy and view all open positions.
POST JOBS FOR FREE