Hemmer Overlock Job Description Sample
General Helper / Laborer - Trim
Sewing Machine Operator
This position is responsible for assisting actors with dressing and changes, and participating in the maintenance of finished costumes for assigned productions from technical rehearsals through closing. This position is scheduled to start in April 2019 and is covered by a collective bargaining agreement with IATSE Local 154. This is a seasonal, full-time, non-exempt position.
Salary - $18.92/hr
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Attends Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, (ED&I) sexual harassment, and any other anti-bias training and workshops as scheduled by the institution.
- Model and support the mission and values.
- Assists Actors with dressing and changing of costumes during technical rehearsals, dress rehearsals and performances.
- Check-in and pre-setting of costumes and accessories for each tech/dress and performance.
- Create and maintain run lists for assigned productions.
- Launder items which need immediate attention during or post-show; full laundry as assigned and/or for play-over performances; collaborating with the Costume Care Technician to schedule this work. Other laundry as assigned
- Collaborate professionally with Supervisors, Actors, Stage Management team, Stage crew and fellow Wardrobe crew members.
- Prepare and do basic repairs on costume pieces during the run of the production.
- Act as Crew Head of a production if assigned by Wardrobe Supervisor.
- Act as a conduit between the Wardrobe crew of a production and the Stage Management team during the running of a show when assigned as Crew Head,
- Act as understudy for other wardrobe assistants as assigned by the Wardrobe Supervisor.
- Participate in striking of shows; including, but not limited to, cleaning, sorting and restocking of costume pieces.
Work Experience: At least 3-5 years minimum experience with community, educational or professional theater.
Qualifications/skills: Ability to sew. Experience with craft repairs such as jewelry repair, shoe maintenance, riveting, etc. Experience with home and industrial sewing machines, overlock machines, domestic and industrial irons, washers, dryers and steamers. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, and Excel) required
Physical Ability: Able to lift and carry 40 lbs; regularly climb ladders, stairs, ramps; regularly push and pull loads and carts; regularly reach above shoulders to restock boxes.
Other Skills, Ability and/or Knowledge: Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Communicate in a professional manner. Maintain a positive and respectful work atmosphere. Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
Minimum Position Requirements: Understanding of basic Dresser skills such as creating a run list, setting up pre-sets, quick changes, repairing costume pieces, processing laundry, etc.
Hours Requirements: Flexible schedule with variation in hours. Work split shifts. Work more than 8 hours in one day on a six day a week schedule.
Preferred Qualifications & Skills: 4 years of experience in community, educational or professional theater. Touring experience is a plus. B.A., B.F.A or equivalent work experience
Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, and a matching retirement program. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
Located in the beautiful Rogue Valley of southern Oregon, the Tony Award-Winning Oregon Shakespeare Festival presents a season of ten to twelve plays in rotating repertory across three theatres between the months of March and October.
At OSF we believe that diverse ideas, cultures and traditions reflect the broad diversity of the nation and enrich our insights into the work we present on stage. We are committed to diversity in all areas of our work, including play selection, casting, marketing and public relation efforts, education programs, strategic recruitment of staff and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Directors. People of color and members of other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow these application instructions.
- 3 work references (name, email and phone number)
- Requested but not required: Cover letter addressing your qualifications for this position
Only complete applications will be considered.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!