Department Administrator/Senior Associate Chair
The Department Administrator for Internal Medicine is the administrative and financial authority in the department and reports jointly to the Chairperson and to the Associate Dean for Finance and Administration.
The Department Administrator directs human resources, finance and budgeting, strategic planning, and department operations, as well as acting as a representative of both the Department and College both within and outside UAMS. In helping to fulfill the mission of UAMS, the Department Administrator has administrative authority over the Department's research, educational, and service operations and activities. Uses judgment and experience to apply an advanced knowledge, skills, methods, and practices, conducts analysis and problem-solving to plan and prioritize a varied workload that involves developing solutions to emergent issues, time-sensitive and/or confidential projects, and complex problems.
In clinical departments, the Department Administrator may collaborate with one or more Service Line Administrators to facilitate strategic initiatives, faculty recruiting/on-boarding, scheduling, effort allocation, assignments, and budget and financial analysis.
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) has a unique combination of education, research, and clinical programs that encourages and supports teamwork and diversity. We champion being a collaborative health care organization, focused on improving the health, health care, and well-being of Arkansans.
UAMS offers amazing benefits and perks:
* Health: Medical, Dental and Vision plans available for staff and family
* Holiday, Vacation and Sick Leave
* Education discount for staff and dependents (undergraduate only)
* Retirement: Up to 10% matched contribution from UAMS
* Basic Life Insurance up to $50,000
* Career Training and Educational Opportunities
* Merchant Discounts
* Concierge prescription delivery on the main campus when using UAMS pharmacy
Salary offered commensurate with experience
* In partnership with the department chair and faculty, the Department Administrator serves as the chief planning officer for the department and liaison to the College's strategy team. This work involves continually monitoring the environment/market, assisting the department leadership and faculty in setting mission, vision, and goals, facilitating implementation of strategic and tactical plans, and monitoring progress.
* Provides ongoing decision support and analytics for the department.
* Collaborates with the College and other UAMS divisions on business development activities, such as contracts, grants and fundraising.
* This position requires knowledge of strategic planning, the ability to identify program development opportunities for the department and intramural and extramural funding opportunities that are aligned with the department, COM and UAMS strategic direction. This position also requires knowledge of educational, research and service/clinical programs and the interaction between the missions.
* In partnership with the department chair and faculty, the Department Administrator serves as the chief financial officer for the department and is accountable to the College and UAMS to ensure the delivery of optimal financial, budgetary and operational support to the department and its leadership.
* This requires rapid response to organizational needs, including adhering to College and UAMS budget processes and timelines, as well as creating and managing the budget, preparing financial and variance reports, conducting internal audits and financial reviews and conducting special financial studies as needed.
* Development and implementation of the annual budget includes expense budgeting and revenue projection related to appropriated, discretionary, endowment and gift revenues, as well as grants and contracts.
* Ensures all reporting and tracking requirements are followed to comply with the rules of the contracting or granting entity and is responsible for compliance with all applicable UAMS rules and procedures.
* Manages the development, analysis and implementation of the department's faculty compensation plan, including tracking of faculty productivity, salary distributions and faculty assignments to accurately report and project faculty effort allocation and productivity.
* Responsible for payroll, purchasing, travel, and financial transactions.
* May create and monitor recharge centers/core facilities.
* Oversees prompt payment of invoices and related research of any errors.
* Provides expertise and assistance to faculty regarding grant/contract preparation, budgeting and reporting, in collaboration with College or UAMS centralized services.
* The position requires finance, budgeting and accounting knowledge, as well as knowledge of institutional and departmental business and financial processes, and the ability to address problems and/or coordinate resolution with the appropriate campus resources.
* In partnership with the department chair and faculty, the Department Administrator is responsible for departmental staff recruitment, hiring, supervision, training and performance management, as well as creating an operating environment where efficiency, effectiveness and service are priorities.
* Provides leadership and guidance to management and administrative staff, coordinates activities of the staff and distribution of the workload to ensure appropriate mission support for the department.
* Focuses on developing a talented workforce by guiding the staff to engage in appropriate educational and training opportunities.
* Conducts annual evaluations and goal setting with the staff, to reinforce the department mission and relevance of each position to accomplishing departmental goals.
* Works with the UAMS Office of Human Resources to ensure departmental compliance with all UAMS rules and procedures.
* Facilitates faculty recruitment, hiring, promotion/tenure processes and performance management/evaluations under the leadership of the department chair.
* Works with the UAMS Office of Faculty Affairs and College to ensure compliance with UAMS rules and procedures.
* The position requires knowledge of recruiting, personnel management, and faculty promotion and tenure processes, and the ability to manage a diverse group of professional and administrative staff.
* As a member of the leadership team in the department, the Department Administrator is responsible for working with and maintaining business relationships for the department with leaders both on campus (the Dean, Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, etc) and off campus (hospital CEO's, state agency leaders, political groups, etc). May have COM and campus-level committee assignments.
* May have a role in supporting clinically-related activities in collaboration with the integrated clinical enterprise and/or service line administrator.
* Assists faculty in providing administrative oversight for educational programs to ensure students, residents and fellows receive appropriate support within the department and that programs are executed in a manner consistent with the policies of COM, UAMS and national accrediting bodies.
* Supports faculty in development of research programs, working to identify space, funding, equipment and infrastructure that will best advance the department and individual faculty member's research goals.
* Manages daily operational issues in collaboration with UAMS offices involving the integrated clinical enterprise, space management and construction, information technology, communications, lab set-up and lab safety.
* Provides input and advice on UAMS and COM policy development.
* The positions requires the ability to interact and develop positive working relationships with a diverse group of professionals at all levels within the organization, community, industry and state and federal governments.
* May perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in business administration, health care administration, finance, accounting or related field plus 10 years' experience in budgeting, finance or administration OR Master's Degree in business administration, health care administration, finance, accounting, legal or related field plus 5 years' experience in budgeting, finance or administration required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Knowledge of academic medical center operations, planning, finance and administration.
Ability to collaborate with clinical partners to ensure seamless operations between academic and clinical enterprise.
UAMS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is committed to excellence.
Stand: OccasionallySit: FrequentlyWalk: OccasionallyBend, crawl, crouch, kneel, stoop, or reach overhead: OccasionallyLift, push, pull, carry weight: 10 lbs or lessUse hands to touch, handle, or feel: OccasionallyTalk: OccasionallyHear: ContinuouslyTaste or smell: NeverRead, concentrate, think analytically: ContinuouslyPhysical Environment: Inside Office EnvironmentNoise Level: QuietVisual Requirements: Depth perception, Far visual acuity, Near visual acuityHazards: None
POST JOBS FOR FREE