Hydraulic Engineer Job Description Sample
Galloway & Company, Inc., a full-service planning, architecture, and engineering firm. Galloway is looking to enhance the technical capabilities and capacity of our growing team. Working at Galloway is an opportunity to invest your workday in something that makes communities across the country better places to live.
The Hydraulic Engineer develops public and private projects as a lead engineer in the Water Resources Team.
- Upholds Galloway’s values and standards by understanding and responding to client needs while providing quality consulting services.
- Applies diverse working knowledge of water resources engineering principles and practices in broad areas; uses techniques, theory precepts, and practices of water resources engineering and related sciences and disciplines.
- As a lead position, provides technical direction to a group of water resource and civil engineers and/or functions as a technical specialist, staff advisor, and consultant; using independent judgment to formulate and develop water resource engineering concepts for a given land/site development or public works-related project or program function.
- Conducts analytical reviews or assists in the analyses/planning/review of water resources engineering projects assigned to others.
- Prepares hydrologic and hydraulic analyses, supporting documents, and permit applications for private and public works projects.
- Prepares calculations and modeling for the analyses and design of storm drains, channels, riverine/irrigation systems, earthwork quantities, cost estimates, and other supporting documentation for public and private water resource projects.
- Coordinates technical and administrative activities for a project with other disciplines and departments within Galloway.
- Markets Galloway’s capabilities within the water resources engineering specialty to establish new clients and enhance relationships with existing clients.
- May assist the project manager in preparing the water resource team’s budget, policy implementation, contracts, and other administrative tasks.
- May mentor and train less-senior water resource engineering and support personnel.
- May perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
EDUCATION, PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION, AND CERTIFICATIONS
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from a four-year, board-approved engineering curriculum required. Master of Science in Engineering or a related Water Resources field is preferred.
Registration as a Professional Engineering in the State of Colorado or the ability to obtain such within 6 months is required.
5- to 10-years of progressive experience in hydrologic and hydraulic engineering associated with the fields of urban drainage, riverine/floodplain analyses, and other areas of water resources.
Experience with HEC-HMS, SWMM, CUHP, HEC-RAS 1D & 2D, SRH 2D or FLO-2D, AutoCAD, and GIS preferred.
- Understanding of principles, practices, codes, and standards in the field of Water Resources Engineering.
- Possesses knowledge of approval and permitting processes for Water Resource projects.
- Demonstrates technical writing skills for reports and letters.
- Understands calculations and programs used in analyses and development of water resources systems and reports: including urban drainage, riverine environments, storm sewers, and irrigation systems.
- Possesses working knowledge of various disciplines typically involved in water resource studies and projects. Demonstrated capabilities to integrate and coordinate various civil engineering work into analyses and projects.
- Understands client goals and uses effective communication and leadership skills to manage project schedules and budgets.
- Communicates in a timely and effective manner within team and with clients, various agencies, and other disciplines working on a project.
- Demonstrates effective leadership skills in directing and completing assigned work while effectively managing multiple projects.
- Works independently with some supervision; exercises independent judgment in completion of work, including directing engineering activities to complete project.
- Performs in a disciplined and thoughtful manner within a team environment.
- Ability to multitask and maintain a high-performance level in a fast-paced, accountable environment.
Short and Long-Term Disability
Health Savings Account
Health Reimbursement Account
Flex Spending Account
Flex Work Schedule
Paid Volunteer Hours
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!