General Position Summary:
* Position will be responsible for managing TIC engineering activities and resources that directly support the ongoing development of the Precision Medicine Analytics Platform (PMAP).
* Responsible for the day-to-day provision of a range of IT services for a department or unit, or responsible for a single function for the university, health system or both.
* Works with departmental administrative and/or academic leadership or senior IT leadership to develop and implement plans for service delivery in support of organizational operations.
* Represents departmental leadership in divisional and interdivisional meetings related to IT policies and operations.
* Leads projects of varying complexity, which may include those requiring multi-disciplinary coordination and significant vendor collaboration.
* Has day-to-day responsibility for a variety of technologies and applications with a focused customer base, or a focused set of technologies with a wide and diverse customer base.
* Manager will supervise frontline IT professionals, will act as a resource for staff including technical guidance, and may have some hands-on responsibilities.
* Recognized as an expert in group's supported technologies.
Typically has small to moderate size staff comprised of IT professionals as direct reports, which may include LAN and Systems Administrators, Systems Engineers and Programmer Analysts. Develops operating budget and participates in the setting of budget priorities in area of responsibility. Leads projects which vary in complexity and may involve coordination and collaboration with other IT groups at JHU/JHHS as well as outside vendors.
The position will provide ongoing support and buildout of the existing PMAP Discovery Platform, which allows researchers to make discoveries from a unified data lake, and focuses on tools for researchers. Additionally, the position will provide foundational architectural guidance and implementation support for the build-out of the PMAP Delivery Platform, which is comprised of clinical applications that leverage PMAP aggregated data and Discovery output, and focuses on tools for clinicians, other care providers, and patients. The PMAP Discovery and Delivery platforms will work hand in hand, aggregating both Research and Clinical Data to deliver platforms to both the research and clinical communities.
This position will be responsible for architecting, building, and deploying solutions that broadly encompass projects for both Discovery and Delivery. As a platform architect, the position will design and bootstrap projects for hand-off to the development teams, and will guide and monitor other development projects as required. The position will be expected to lead and direct activities for geographically disparate and cross-disciplinary Scrum teams, applying Agile methodologies to deliver new capabilities during each program increment. Additionally, the position will contribute and enforce standards and best practices, and assist in the establishment of related Communities of Practice.
As a manager, the position will recruit, develop, retain, and organize staff, as well as direct developer work assignments, monitor developer progress, and provide regular developer guidance. The position will work closely with TIC Leadership, the Director of Product Development, Product Development Leads, and the PMAP Core Team to identify and prioritize deliverables.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
Planning & Controlling
* Provides input and recommendations to and/or formulates plans. Takes direction from leadership to implement those plans for the success of the unit.
* With an awareness of organization's needs as well as the larger technology landscape of the institution implements technology solutions that meet departmental needs.
* Helps establish budgetary goals, and provides input towards priorities. May develop IT operations budget.
* Participates in the establishment of technology policies and practices and implements them to ensure security and regulatory compliance.
* Represents organizational IT, academic or administrative leadership, in meetings related to IT policies and procedures across the institution.
* Manages the customer relationship and satisfaction as well as adherence to service level agreements.
* Creates and promotes a culture of excellent customer service.
* Maintains relationships with customer base to better understand their needs and address organizational goals.
* Establishes and maintains ties with colleagues throughout the institution to ensure optimal collaboration and coordination of effort.
* Maintains relationships with technology vendors for the department.
* Within functional scope has direct responsibility for the design, development, and application of technical solutions that satisfy customer needs and are essential to the ongoing operations of the department or IT function.
* Is responsible for multiple IT projects that impact the department or IT function, including requirements gathering, planning, delegation of component tasks to team members and monitoring progress toward completion.
* As necessary actively participates in group's delivery of services.
* Recruits, develops, retains, organizes and manages performance of staff.
* Assigns tasks, monitors progress and provides guidance.
Describe the specific devices, software, projects for which the position is responsible:
* Current Discovery projects include but are not limited to the Data Catalog and CrunchR.
* Additionally, the position will oversee continued development of new and existing Delivery applications and components including but not limited to the Longitudinal Viewer (for the Multiple Sclerosis PMCoE), Prostate Active Surveillance, and the Prostate Dashboard.
* Additionally, the position will be expected to direct and/or perform various exploratory and investigative deep-dives, and perform regular analyses of alternatives for platform components and software solutions.
* Current solutions have been developed using a wide array of technologies including Java, Spring Boot, python, Docker, Microsoft SQL Server, and Azure SQL. Other technologies being considered for "NextGen" development and deployment may include Azure Data Factory, Databricks, and Kubernetes.
Describe scale/size of area, project and/or system supported:
* The current Hortonworks Hadoop-based platform is a highly complex ecosystem deployed on the Azure Cloud, and is comprised of several dozen open-source and vendor-provided products and services.
* These are deployed and managed on a broad array of redundant and highly-available infrastructure environments, which are comprised of dozens of individual servers, virtual machines, and containerized solutions.
* Custom PMAP-related tools and environments are also deployed to the Azure Cloud, including several homegrown applications and services.
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
* Leading, designing, building, implementing, and maintaining full stack enterprise applications
* Familiarity with cross-platform development tools and techniques
* Production use of 3-4 development languages and/or frameworks
* Ownership of four or more established applications
* 3 years prior experience of managing a software development team
* A bachelors degree in a technology field coupled with a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible related experience is required.
* 2 years of supervisory experience is preferred.
* Additional directly related experience may substitute for education.
* Applicants must possess proven written, verbal and interpersonal skills and must be able to exercise judgment with minimal supervision.
* They must have advanced experience with the range of supported technologies. Project management experience is desirable.
* One or more technical degrees from an accredited university.
* Working experience with Azure and/or AWS and leveraging cloud platform for web application development.
* Software engineering experience in the healthcare IT and developing precision medicine related applications.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA's):
* High level knowledge of all technologies within area of responsibility.
* Track record of collaboration with peers, colleagues and lower level staff.
* Proven ability to prioritize work and ensure projects and workloads are completed on time while maintaining high morale.
* Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
* Excellent written and oral communications skills.
* Politically aware and able to maintain confidentiality.
* Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Experience leading a variety of multi-person projects simultaneously.
* Comfortable switching gears depending on business requirements.
* Desire to provide technical leadership to teammates through coaching and mentorship.
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications:
* Setup development operations (DevOps) for projects (four minimum).
* Experience with CI/CD tooling (e.g. Bamboo), build tools (e.g. Maven, Gradle, npm), and associated process automation for at least five applications.
* Familiarity with Git workflows such as Gitflow, feature branching, and forking.
* Use of RESTful API concepts and developing distributed software systems for at least five applications.
* Working experience with Azure Data Factory, Databricks, and Kubernetes.
Classified Title: IT Manager
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 60007476-IT@JH Technology Innovation Center
Personnel area: University Administration
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
School of Medicine - East Baltimore Campus
POST JOBS FOR FREE