Tree Nursery Laborer - Laborer General
Job Class: Laborer-General
Working Title: Tree Nursery Laborer
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 08/17/2019
Closing Date: 08/30/2019
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Department of Natural Resources
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift, ~30 hours per week
Days of Work: Monday - Friday, 2-5 days per week
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $15.65 - $19.56/hourly
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 203 - Service/AFSCME
Work Area: Badoura Nursery
Work Location: Akeley
Employment Condition: Part-Time, Seasonal
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
This position exists to provide manual labor necessary to maintain quality standards in the production, handling and shipment of seedlings and other vegetative materials to meet the targets of DNR and the Division of Forestry in integrated resource management.
* Lift, load, grade and package tree seedlings; weed seedbeds to ensure seedling survival and growth potential are attained; use motorized equipment as assigned for hauling seedlings to packing buildings, other materials and or personnel on the nursery property.
* Collect, process and clean seed; assist in seedbed maintenance and preparation; assist in cuttings and transplant operations; perform packing shed duties to include tree handling, root pruning, box making, grading, loading, boxing, labeling and cooler storage; perform quality checks and report size discrepancies, pest, fungus, mold, etc. issues; assist in building maintenance and grounds cleanup; perform irrigation tasks; assist in windbreak maintenance; and tree delivery
* Conduct and report seedbed inventories; maintain written records of field and equipment operations; prepare special labels or tying materials as assigned; assist in seedling order processing, hand-packing, cooler and loading operation
This is a part-time, seasonal Laborer General position at Badoura State Tree Nursery near Akeley, Minnesota. These positions have a split season with anticipated season dates of March 15 to July 31 and from September 15 to October 31. Hours of work will vary and may include weekend, evenings and holidays.
* Knowledge of methods, tools and equipment used in maintenance and construction work sufficient to carry out detailed work directions
* Ability to perform physically demanding tasks including digging, planting, lifting, shoveling, hauling, carrying, bending, pushing, climbing and walking on uneven terrain.
* Ability to withstand exposure to adverse weather and environmental conditions as well as herbicides and pesticides.
* Ability to follow written and oral instructions sufficient to carry out verbal assignments in a safety and efficient manner.
* Record keeping and basic math skills sufficient to record inventory data for inventory records
* Must be comfortable working independently or in a group.
* Ability to learn the safe use, operation, and maintenance of tools and equipment used in this work.
* Ability to conduct manual labor to complete outdoor seedling harvest operation tasks that includes ability to lift weights of up to 50 pounds, ability to work under a variety of weather conditions, ability to work on hands and knees when hand weeding and planting, and requires walking or standing to a significant degree on rough terrain
* Ability to read and follow instructions on labels, information in instruction manuals, etc.
* Ability to communicate and interact positively with team members and the public.
* Ability to communicate using hand-held radio
* An unrestricted Class A Driver's License. *Please note that operating Class A equipment requires a pre-employment drug test, and enrollment in a random drug testing program.
* Knowledge of forest tree nursery operations and procedures concerning the growth and delivery of forest tree seedlings.
* Basic First Aid/CPR certification or above.
* Experience operating and performing routine maintenance and repair of small and large equipment, and other equipment and tools.
* General farm or construction experience.
* Tree identification skills.
Requires occasionally lifting articles such as 50 pounds maximum and frequently lifting and/or carrying objects such as heavy tools and file boxes. This job may require walking or standing to a significant degree on rough terrain or may involve sitting most of the time with pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
This position requires an unrestricted Class D Driver's License with a clear driving record.
It is policy of the Department of the Natural Resources that all candidates submit to a background check prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
* Employment Reference Check
* SEMA4 Records Check
* Criminal History Check
* Education/License Verification
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of this page and submit an application/resume that clearly describes how you meet the qualifications listed above. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Kristina Somes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218.652.2385 x222.
If you are a Connect 700 applicant, please submit your certificate to Nicole Kruse at email@example.com or fax to 651.296.6494 by the job posting close date.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) encourages participation in all its programs, services and activities and does not discriminate against qualified applicants with disabilities. Anyone who believes they may need a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate in the job application, interview or selection processes may contact any agency official with whom applicant has contact in the processing of their employment application to request an accommodation. Applicants may also contact the DNR's Affirmative Action office to request an accommodation by: E-mail: ADAdiversity.DNR@state.mn.us or by calling Sarah Spence-Koivisto at 651.259.5016; or using MN Relay 711.
Return to Previous Page
POST JOBS FOR FREE