Lathe Operator Job Description Sample
CNC Lathe Operator
Are you tired of a "job shop" versus precision and quality mindset? McFarlane Aviation Products needs someone who wants to be a big part of our well established but dynamic small company. We are continuously growing slow and steady and need more CNC lathe machinist. We offer a great benefit package, competitive salary, and a casual working environment in a clean, air-conditioned shop with friendly people. We are located about ten minutes from Lawrence and 40 minutes from Kansas City right on a grass strip airport K64.
Setup and operate CNC Lathe, CNC Swiss Lathe, other machines and machine tools as needed. Apply knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties and layout and machining procedures to produce quality precision parts. Full Time M-F 1st shift with full benefits and competitive salary.
Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Review drawings and specifications of a particular product and plan the production process, including where and how to cut the work piece and the correct tools and materials for the job and the sequence of steps to follow in production of the product
- Problem solve and make decisions on ways to decrease cycle times and efficiency of setups
- Perform the machining operations, watch for problems in the production process and check the accuracy of the finished piece against drawings using calibrated measuring tools
- Stay current on machining technology by learning new techniques and learn how to operate new machines
- Work as a team in the machine shop and with production and assembly
- Safely run and maintain machines as needed
- Inspect for quality in all aspects of different jobs
- Clean work area and machines
- Other duties as needed where skills match (assembly, maintenance, tooling)
- Frequently able to monitor more than one machine at a time
- Help machine operators with problem solving, adjustments and setups
- Follow Quality Assurance Manual and FAA requirements
- Follow Safety Manual and Employee Handbook *
- Willingness to take on new skills and consistently working to improve skills, abilities and processes.
- Five plus years of experience preferred. No formal training is required; equivalent experience is necessary.
- Self-discipline with high ethical standards to work with critical safety related products
- Work within precise limits or standards of accuracy
- Adapt to changes in departmental priority and to adjusted assigned work schedules, personnel and equipment to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of measuring equipment
- Attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- Time management skills
- Experience with quality and safety
- Knowledge of math and technical reading
- Verbal and written communication and people skills
- Ability to work with a team and independently
- Positive outlook
- Knowledge of shop math
- Basic computer experience
- Drawing and blueprint reading
- Work easily and skillfully with your hands, dexterity of hand mobility
- Identifying and implementing effective courses of action to complete assigned work on schedule
- The ability to stay on your feet for extended periods of time or capable of standing the majority of the day
- The ability to lift up to 30 lbs. on occasion
CNC Lathe Programmer – Mastercam
CNC Lathe Programmer
Determine dimension and configuration of cuts, selection of cutting tools, and machine speeds / feed rates.
Refers to work holding designs or existing fixtures for part presentations, tool clearance and locating consideration.
Utilizes CAM software on a computer station.
Prepares geometric layout using computer-assisted drafting software in either wire frame or solids molding to define the location of reference points and direction of cutting paths.
Writes operator set up instructions and tool list to guide setup and operation of machine, also requisitions work holding and tooling as needed.
Generate program of machine instructions in numerical control format to regulate movement of machine along cutting path.
Distribute and maintains work center copies of set up instructions, tool sheets, program manuscripts, offset sheets, tool change log and part tally sheet.
Observes operation of machine trial run to prove programmed instructions.
Reviews and compares program after it is returned from the shop floor to determine validity of edits, prior to saving files for next release.
Trains and directs workers in adjusting machines and equipment to produce products which meet standards.
Develops, recommends, and implements measures to improve production methods, equipment performance and quality of product.
Perform other related duties as requested or instructed by the engineering manager.
Bottom line requirements we need notes on with candidate submittal:
1. CNC Lathe Programming experience.
2. Experience with Mastercam.
CNC Lathe Machinist - Weekend Day Shift- Operator Level 1
CNC Lathe Machinist
Manual Lathe Operator
CNC Lathe Set-Up Programmer
CNC Machinist Setup/Operator - Lathe
CNC Machinist - Setup/Operator of Lathes
The CNC Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of CNC machines and for maintaining a clean, well-organized work area. Primary duties will target consistent operation and checking of parts produced on CNC equipment. Position will include operating computer numerical controlled (CNC) machine to perform and produce precision metal components; perform actions such as cutting, drilling, milling, boring and broaching as specified by work order, blueprints, drawings, templates or layout.
Current openings (2) are on 2nd shift; Four 10 hour work days Monday - Thursday / 2:30pm - 1:00am:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Check dimensions and materials to assure finished parts confirm to work order.
- Assure paperwork is accurate and make good use of consumable tools.
- Notify Lead personnel / Set-Up Machinist to advise if machinery is not operating effectively.
- Assure that safety precautions are observed at all times including the use of safety glasses, safety shoes, ear protection (if applicable) and machine guards.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Machine parts to specifications, using secondary operation machine tools.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
Minimum Requirements :(Knowledge, Skills, Abilities):
- Basic understanding of CNC machine operations.
- Ability to communicate appropriately with Managers, Supervisors and peers in a professional manner.
- Uses good judgement in decisions regarding process and problem solving.
- Able to read and understand G-code programming code.
Manufacturing environment., Must wear appropriate personal protective equipment; ability to position self to move, install/takeout, adjust, position, measure, and handle materials weighing up to 70 pounds.
Our client is a globally recognized manufacturer & supplier of machined parts and threaded fasteners, serving equipment manufacturers and industrial users in the Medical, Power Generation, Mining, Transportation, Petro-Chemical, Nuclear, Aerospace, Marine, and US Defense industries. ISO 9001, AS9001 and 13485 certified.
Client offers Health Insurance, Dental, Vision, Immediate participation in the 401(k) Plan with match; company paid short-term & long-term disability, Flexible Spending Account, Gym Membership reimbursement, tuition reimbursement and more.
Senior Operator-Srb Lathe
CNC Operator II Lathe 3Rd Shift
Turret Lathe Operator C
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!