Machinist Apprentice Job Description Sample
• I am seeking several apprentices to work directly under our Senior Tool and Die maker, Engineer, Machinists,and Pressman
• The successful candidates must possess strong mechanical skills matched with top math and analytical ability.
• A strong desire to succeed in a very competitive industry and most importantly an oversized pride in building things. Our products are on the fastest aircraft, and Autos. Our components are in the finest guns.
• If you are looking for high pay and great benefits go somewheres else. If you wish to have the skills to demand these things come learn from the best.
1st shift: 6:30am-3:00pm
2nd shift: 3:00pm-11:30pm
The Machinist sets up, operates and adjusts various types of conventional or automatic machines including CNC machines, lathes, drill presses, grinders and other precision equipment and may assist Manufacturing Team Members in the set-up of machines. This position reports to the Manufacturing Supervisor.
Essential Job Functions:
· Works from drawings and written instructions to create parts.
· Performs a wide variety of duties to set up and operate CNC machines. Performs diversified and complex operations on one or more machines simultaneously as required.
· Writes and edits programs as needed to meet overall part tolerance requirements.
· Requires basic knowledge of various metal and of measurements used in machining processes in order to provide technical leadership and assist in training less experienced machinist.
· Understands all aspects of operating machines (every switch/button) and can proficiently run multiple machines simultaneously in the department.
· Handles change overs without assistance, has the ability/understanding of CNC machine logic, able to write basic programs, post-edit CNC programs to fine-tune processes for optimal performance and is able to read, find errors and troubleshoot programs.
· Capable of setting up jobs, running jobs and inspecting parts.
· Capable of performing all “external” setup tasks for the next job, while the machine is running.
· Possesses basic math and problem solving abilities.
· Reads prints to recognize specifications for various surfaces being machined.
· Works from prints and determine operational sequences; select tools, spindle speeds, tool feed rates and chucking/holding requirements in accordance with materials.
· Inspects work pieces at beginning of and throughout production run to insure part meets tolerance requirements.
· Inspects and understands when to replace cutting tools.
· Demonstrates ability to effectively use all necessary measuring tools in order to assure conformance to print.
· Understands and verifies tolerances for machined surfaces.
· Detects worn tools and replaces tooling as appropriate.
· Establish proper tool offsets and make necessary adjustments.
· Performs preventative maintenance as needed on assigned equipment.
· Advises supervisor of conduct that may violate rules, policies, and procedures.
· Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
· Safety – Understands safe operation of equipment, tools and PPE. Recognizes potential for dangerous situations; uses safe work practices. Utilizes behavior based safety methods to sustain a safe working environment.
· Ethics and Work Standards –Maintain the highest ethical and work standards, while promoting the same attributes in co-workers and others.
· Communication – Expresses thoughts clearly, both orally and in writing, using good grammar. Listens to understand input, feedback and concerns. Provides complete information in an open, honest and straightforward manner. Responds promptly and positively to questions and requests.
· Teamwork/Relationships–Works with other employees willingly and in a spirit of cooperation and teamwork. Supports cooperation. Demonstrates a commitment to the entire business and is supportive of all initiatives (company and departmental) to help grow the business. Cooperates fully with others to achieve organizational goals. Is tactful, courteous, and considerate. Embraces a positive outlook. Is respected and trusted by others.
· Continual Improvement and Problem Resolution – Identifies and communicates suggestions for work improvements. Works with others to develop solutions which meet company-wide needs and objectives. Applies a sense of urgency to resolve problems or creates opportunities that will increase productivity and create value. Shares best practices with other employees.
· Accountability – Accepts responsibility regarding projects/programs/duties as outlined in this job description. Advises supervisor of concerns, problems and progress of work in a timely manner.
· Minimum 4 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment
· Knowledge of CNC machining and programming operations as generally acquired in one to three years of trades training or vocational schooling
· 3-5 years of experience in setting up, operating and programming CNC machine
Education and Certification
· High school diploma or equivalent education or experience
· Associates degree preferred
(To be met with or without accommodations)
· Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
· Stand 10 hours a day
· Good manual dexterity
· Eye hand coordination and attention to detail
· Ability to bend, twist and turn
Family owned and operated for nearly 70 years, Paragon D&E is a leader in advanced manufacturing. With a strong history in injection and compression tooling, Paragon has evolved into a multifaceted organization with a diverse product line serving Aerospace, Defense, Nuclear, Heavy Truck, Automotive, Agricultural, Oil and Gas and other industries. Paragon has a state of the art facility with the latest machining technology and continually invests in our team and equipment.
Paragon is committed to the highest standards of ethical conduct in all that we do. We believe that honesty and integrity create trust, which is the cornerstone of our business.
We recognize that our success depends on the talent, skills and expertise of our people and our ability to function as a tightly integrated team. Communication and respect are essential elements of a positive and productive business relationship. We promote a caring and helpful approach to those we work with and the community around us.
* Paragon has received the 101 Best & Brightest in West Michigan companies to work for award 3-years running*
What you will do:
All Apprentices start in the Material Handler role for 3-6 months familiarizing themselves with all areas of the shop. Responsibilities include:
- Operate an overhead crane and fork lift truck with trailer to move raw blocks and tooling for job preparations and job transitions for CNC machines.
- Utilize schedule board to assist in job transitions and task prioritization.
- Ensure that material in the shop is identified and clearly labeled.
- Check incoming material, verify shippers and prepare finished jobs for shipping.
- Assist with finishing processes, including cleaning and deburring material, maintenance and clean-up for each job.
As an Apprentice, your responsibilities include:
- Learn and demonstrate the skills needed to become proficient in the assigned area of responsibility.
- Responsible for the completion of the Apprentice Training Plan.
- Required to attend monthly Apprentice meetings to provide feedback on how training is progressing.
As a Machinist, your responsibilities include:
- Setup, adjust and check out programming and operate numerically controlled machine tools to
- Review machine schedule board for machining needed daily.
- Works from programming instructions, operational data and machine setup instructions
- Manage scheduled hours, estimating hours accurately and communicate to supervisor estimated over/under hours.
- Manage machine program files.
- Verify tooling and setup of job on the machine.
- Communicate with programming or the lead Machinist on any concerns with the programs.
- Responsible for maintenance of machine and cleanliness of area daily.
What qualifications you need to be successful:
- High School diploma or equivalent is required.
- Availability to work days, nights and weekends required .
- Experience operating a crane and fork lift truck (with trailer) preferred
- Experience in a tool & die environment and a high-degree of mechanical aptitude is ideal.
- Must have been trained and worked-in Paragon’s Material Handler role for at least 3 months and/or equivalent experience.
Want to know what it's like working at Paragon? Follow us on:
Check-out other career openings on our website www.paragonde.com
Paragon has the experience to tackle your most difficult project. Our engineers, business unit managers and mold leaders average over 25 years of experience.
We take pride in our ability to take your project from concept to mold. We’ve developed expertise in various forms of precision cutting and machining and have the unique ability to handle very large parts. Our modern facilities house one of North America’s largest double gantry mills and a new building expansion is in progress. You can count on the Paragon team to help you with your next project.
Prototype Machinist Apprentice
Milwaukee Electric Tool has launched a new Tool and Die apprenticeship program! Apprentices will support our expanding Rapid Protoype Department. Our Rapid Protype Department contains state of the art equipment and is crucial to the success of Milwaukee products. We are seeking highly motivated, mathematically and mechanically inclined, creative individuals to join our team. The apprenticeship program will be time based, established to be 5 years (10,400 hours). The apprentice will attend school one day a week (compensated) and work alongside a skilled tool and model maker the remaining four days of the week. Upon successful completion of required schooling and the probationary period the apprentice will obtain their Journeyman's card and remain employed with Milwaukee Electric Tool. Duties and Responsibilities
Plan, lay out and perform all bench and machine operations required to construct, alter or condition production tools, dies, fixtures, gauges or special machines, and/or set up and operate a variety of plastic, wood and metalworking machines and equipment to make complex and intricate parts and complete units of experimental and pilot models of electric tools, accessories and patterns.
Work involves setting up and performing recognized machining operations, occasionally improving standard tooling for special adaptations; performing all requiring bench operations to fit, assemble, adjust, align and finish precision gauging and/or holding fixtures. Develop and condition form cutters for own work and/or for production. Work from drawings, sketches and samples of brass, bronze or steel as indicated. Machines used include milling, lathes, gear hobbs, drill presses and grinders working to close tolerances.
Layout and develop less complicated parts and units; may receive more detailed drawings and instructions on complex units. Use a variety of precision measuring devices including calipers, micrometers, gauges and protractors as well as handbook formulae, charts to layout and check work.
Program and operate semi-complex CNC, CAD and CAM equipment to satisfy assignment responsibilities.
Maintain tools and equipment; lubricate and make minor adjustments and repairs as necessary. Education and Experience Requirements
Requires an education equivalent to four years of high school
Attend schooling as required by the program
Possess above average mathematical, special, and creative thinking skills
Show dedication, interest, and progress throughout the program Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Machinist / Apprentice Machinist
We are seeking a Machinist / Apprentice Machinist to join our team! You will operate a variety of manual machines including and not limited to lathes, mills, drill presses, etc.
- Operate machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments
- Modify parts and materials to improve overall production
- Test completed equipment to detect and remove defects
- Perform routine maintenance on machinery
- Calculate dimensions and tolerance using measuring instruments
- Previous experience in machinery or other related fields
- Familiarity with machine tools and equipment
- Strong attention to detail
- Willingness to learn a new trade
We specialize in all types of fabrication services, including:
- Steel and Aluminum Fabrication
- Specialized Cutting
- Complete Machining Services
- Drafting, Mechanical, and Structural Design
Lingis is the area’s leading custom metal fabrication and machine shop. We are strategically located near Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, so that we can provide quality products and services to the coal, natural gas, and utility industries in a five-state area.
Apprentice Machinist (2Nd Shift)
Eaton in Searcy, AR is seeking an Apprentice Machinist to work second shift. This individual will work to gauge and operate different manual and CNC machinery. Essential Functions:
Work from drawings, specifications, programs, data, and schedule
Operate machine tools to perform a series of progressive machining operations on repetitive work to exacting tolerances
Work from programming, operational data, fixtures, and material clamping methods
Calibrate and operate onboard measurement probes to establish work coordinate
Operate Coordinate Measurement Machines (CMM) to verify part quality
Arrange, mount, and secure tooling in machine rack. Support and clamp work piece in absence of holding fixtures,
- Will work directly with CNC Machinist II Qualifications
High School Diploma or equivalent from an accredited institution
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates that currently reside within the immediate geographical area of Searcy, AR will be considered
Knowledge of shop math for machinist (inch to metric conversion, addition / subtraction of decimals and fractions, etc.)
Knowledge of gauging concepts and techniques (calipers, height gages, micrometers, profilometer, roundness gages, plug gages, air gages, dial depth gages, etc.)
The ability to perform Machine Preventative Maintenance (changing filters, coolant concentration management and monitoring oil levels)
Ability to lift and manipulate up to 40 lbs We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters. Job: Manufacturing & Operations Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico Organization: HYD PMC Power Motion Control Job Level: Entry Level Schedule: Full-time Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No Does this position offer relocation?: No Travel: No Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Eaton is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Apprentice Machinist - Precision Machining And Tool Maker
Need to have machining aptitude, great attitude and a strong desire to learn.
Need to be a dependable hard worker that can focus on the job at hand and have the mindset to get the job done on time with quality workmanship.
4 year apprenticeship program is through the Department of Economic Security. Mandatory schooling costs will be reimbursed for a "C" grade or better. May be able to apply past schooling and experience toward the program.
Located by the 101 and Red Mtn 202 in Tempe.
Check out our website: tmwinc.net
Apprentice - Machinist (Mclaren)
Job Description Responsibilities:
Ensure compliance with all legislative requirements in the facility’s geographic location and:
The Global Operating System Plays. * OHSAS 18001:2007 Health and Safety management system standard. * ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management system standard. * TS 16949 Technical Specification Management and Linamar Quality Basics system standards.
Support, Foster, Promote and Demonstrate Linamar’s Core Values and Leadership Behaviors.
Maintain balance between customer, employee and financial satisfaction by maximizing facility/department Performance Indicators to align to Linamar’s Stepping Stool of Success Strategy.
Support and maintain department lean initiatives as set out in LPS system requirements.
Maintain department 5S requirements.
Familiarity with McLaren’s Business Management System (BMS).
Fit and assemble machined parts into complete units.
Apply knowledge of machine shop theory and procedures, shop mathematics, machine ability of materials and layout techniques, using hand and power tools.
Read and interpret blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work-pieces, sequence of machining operations and set-up requirements.
Compute dimensions and tolerances and measure and lay out work pieces.
Calculate and set controls to regulate machining factors, such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angel of cut, or enter commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
Start and observe machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining and adjust machine controls or control media as required.
Set-up and operate machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine setting or programmed control data
Adjust and set up machining equipment and tooling for use by machine operator(s).
Follow job operations as outlined on the work order
Report deviations from specifications and tolerances to supervisor.
Maintain and complete quality assurance reports.
- This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of this position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
High School Diploma is required.
Participation and completion of a formal apprenticeship program will be required and is mandatory.
Ability to interpret scale drawings at various points throughout machining processes. Study assembly drawings, sectional views and drawings showing parts from different perspectives. Review drawings prior to jobs to understand critical dimensions and machining tolerances and to identify missing information or measurements.
Ability to monitor speed settings and feed rates for drills, lathes and mills. Ensure that machines are operating within specified or acceptable ranges and make adjustments as required. Calculate amounts of materials to be removed and number of machine passes required to machine work pieces within tolerance.
Ability to judge suitability of tools and equipment for machining jobs. Consider work process, materials and own experience with different tools and equipment to determine whether tools suit purpose assess quality of cuts and grinding throughout machining process.
Ability to discuss work plans and coordinate tasks with other machinists to complete large orders. Discuss scheduling and workloads to ensure jobs meet timelines recorded on work orders. Discuss machining jobs during meetings with supervisors and other team members.
Ability to work independently to interpret, plan and produce or repair parts. Interact with other machinists to carry out new or complex tasks or to solve problems as required.
Ability to use computer-assisted design, manufacturing and machining software. For example, they create new CNC programs or refine existing programs to machine parts. Enter codes or select settings for tools, dimensions, speeds and machining paths from menus when setting up new programs.
Possess drive and motivation to maintain continuous learning from daily work activities and from discussions with co-workers and supervisors. Participate in training available in workplace and offered by suppliers and community colleges. Req ID: 8346BR
Position Title:* Apprentice - Machinist (McLaren)
No. of Positions:* 1 Geographic Location: Livonia, Michigan, USA
Facility:* McLaren (USA)
Department:* Tool Room
Current Shift:* Days
Employment Type:* Full Time Hourly
Percentage of Travel Required:* 0% Removal Date: 04-Mar-2018
CNC Machinist Apprentice
Dedicated Personnel is currently seeking applicants for a day shift CNC Machinist Apprentice position thats in Bessemer.
This person does not have to technically be a machinist, but they would be working with CNC equipment. The candidate would work as an apprentice under our current machinist.
Assistant Marine Mechanic/Outside Machinist Trainee Or Apprentice
Amazing Opportunity for an Assistant Marine Mechanic/Apprentice or Trainee!
Do you have strong work ethics? Are you dependable? Are you hardworking and looking to earn?
This position pays $18 to $20 per hour.
- You must be able to assist our awesome mechanics
- Must be strong enough to lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds
- Be able to work in the heat, be able to work overtime & weekends.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch and crouch and crawl
- Must have good eye-hand coordination
- Team player
Great opportunity for someone hardworking who is mechanically inclined and wants to get their start in the Marine Repair / Ship repair industry. We specialize in Yachts over 150ft.
Positions available immediately. Send in your resume with the Subject: Assistant Marine Mechanic/Apprentice or Trainee at email@example.com. You can also Call or text 954 901 6035 or message us here.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!