Medical Assistant Job Description Sample
Performs routine and basic front and back office duties, to include phones, data entry, and assisting in the examination process of patients under the direction of a physician. Interviews patients, measures vital signs and records information on patients' charts, draws and collects blood samples and/or urine samples from patients, prepares specimens for laboratory analysis, and conducts a variety of diagnostic tests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs routine procedures to obtain claimant's medical history, record vital signs and complete lab requisitions
Performs standard diagnostic procedures accurately, efficiently, and with the highest quality including but not limited to: 12-lead electrocardiograms, proficient venipuncture, urine drug testing collection and preparation of lab specimens for laboratory courier, pulmonary function test (PFTs), arterial flow Doppler studies, and other clinical diagnostic studies assigned to meet the needs of the organization
Performs housekeeping functions such as: changing exam room table paper, upkeep of cleanliness of the entire office (exam rooms, bathrooms, waiting area, front office, lab room, etc.), ensuring all equipment is clean and presentable
Chaperone during an examination
If fluent in other languages, assist claimants and providers with translation of questionnaire forms or during evaluation, as necessary
Other duties as assigned to meet the needs of the organization
Responsible for front office duties such as: answering telephones, scheduling and confirming appointments, preparing schedules, data entry (including referral contracts, post appointment information), and filing
Data entry and review of computerized worksheets manually completed by claimants
Reviews and edits reports in proprietary software application to ensure accuracy in context, grammar, spelling, and consistency. This will be accomplished through review of computerized worksheets, doctor's notes, and verifying information through dialogue with physician
Review each exam report for accuracy prior to submission to the physician for final review and approval
Assists in the retrieval of diagnostic tests for scanning into propriety software application
Interfaces with operational teams and assists in the provision of medical records
Works with providers and operational teams to ensure reports are submitted timely and accurately
Assist in the preparation and delivery of reports for all lines of business
Other duties as assigned to meet the needs of the organization
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
The ability to organize plan and coordinate multiple tasks with a high sense of urgency and follow-through
Ability to demonstrate an understanding of applicable policies and procedures. Ability to maintain conditions that ensure a healthy and safe working environment
Education and/or Experience: (includes certificate & licenses)
Technology driven medical data entry system experience or related computer data entry
Experience in Occupational Medicine clinic, General Medical, Internal Medicine work environment preferred
First Aid certification preferred
Must be able to successfully pass National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) background investigation
This job description supersedes all prior job descriptions and is intended to describe the general content and essential requirements for the position listed above. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of requirements, duties and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to add or change the duties of this position as required at any time
.QTC Management Inc. is a VEVRAA Federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company has an ongoing commitment to affirmative action and the creation of a workplace free of discrimination, harassment and retaliation. The company recruits, hires, trains, and promotes individuals in all job titles without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, people with disabilities protected under law, and protected veteran status
Pulmonary Medicine Associates (PMA) has been treating patients in the greater Sacramento area since 1973 and is a unique and exciting place to work. With specialties that include allergy, critical care, infectious disease, palliative care, pulmonology, sleep medicine and travel medicine, we are a busy practice with over 35 providers and 3 outpatient clinic locations.
PMA currently has FT/PT Medical Assistant positions available. Because we value our employees, PMA offers a competitive salary and exceptional benefits for FT employees including medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, PTO and 401k with generous company match. Please visit our website at www.pmamed.com to learn more. PMA is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace.
Escorts patient to the exam room within 15 minutes of appointment time.
Notifies patient(s) of delays in a timely manner, giving him/her the option of rescheduling.
Obtains complete and accurate vital signs, including blood pressure, pulse, respirations, temperature, weight, and height, appropriate for the patients chief complaint, prior to the clinician seeing the patient.
Prepares patients for appropriate exams/procedures.
Documents accurate information in the patients electronic medical record, including all actions taken by the Medical Assistant.
Assists the Provider as requested.
May perform spirometry tests, give injections/medications, and assist with basic wound care as directed by the Provider.
Assists in patient education by providing informational pamphlet and after care instructions as instructed by the Provider.
Ensures that exam rooms are clean, stocked, and appropriately set up each day prior to rooming patients.
Maintains Sterile Technique at all times, when appropriate.
Triages incoming documents, as assigned, and thoroughly processes documents at first touch following proper protocol.
Ensures all pertinent information is in the chart prior to the patients appointment (i.e. labs, xrays, etc.).
Ensures all documents are appropriately labeled and classified within the electronic medical record.
Communicates with patients using secure patient portal and assists patients with any portal log-in issues.
Maintains related medical equipment and supplies.
Other Medical Assistant responsibilities include:
Answers patient sick calls and schedules appointments.
Assists in answering incoming phone calls to the general clinic extensions.
Follows Clinic protocols for managing patient and pharmacy callbacks in a timely manner.
Gathers appropriate documents and signatures necessary to assist the Provider in making treatment decisions.
Receives and records lab/radiological test results via telephone, and consults with the Provider prior to giving the results to the patient.
Relays Provider instructions/orders to pharmacies, patients, and other entities via phone, fax, or mail.
Labels and uploads test results in the patients electronic medical record after Provider signs off the result and gives appropriate instructions.
Follows Clinic protocols for handling referrals.
Effectively works with peers to ensure all Provider schedules run efficiently and that patients are seen in a timely manner.
Ensures all medication cabinets are locked at the end of each workday.
Attends/participates in Clinic meetings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
High school graduation or GED.
Two or more years of related work experience a plus.
Credentialed Medical Assistant (RMA, CCMA) required.
Current AHA BLS Healthcare provider.
Strong computer skills. Experience with an EMR preferred.
Strong attention to detail.
Knowledge of medical terminology.
Strong customer service skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, patients and the general public.
Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
Ability to file and maintain patient records, files and other correspondence.
Ability to work independently and juggle multiple priorities
Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
Valid California drivers license and automobile insurance. Ability to drive to different clinics and run occasional errands.
Under direct supervision, assists physician in providing direct patient care and evaluation of patients in an office. Performs direct patient care such as phlebotomy, EKG, specimen collection, wound care, medication administration and vital signs. Maintains supplies and schedules patient appointments.
HS or GED
3 years experience as a medical assistant or successful completion of GBMA externship program.
National Certification as a Certified Medical Assistant may be substituted for years of experience req. .
Knowledge of medical terminology
Skill in using techniques for phlebotomy, EKG, specimen collection, medication administration and taking vital signs
Skill in written and oral communication
Ability to distinguish normal from abnormal diagnostic results
Ability to pass a medication calculation test with an 85% or better prior to hire
Certificate of training from a nationally recognized Medical Assistant
Heart saver (CPR Certification).
National Certification as a Certified Medical Assistant preferred
- Ability to walk and stand for up to eighty percent (80%) of work time.
- Exposure to disinfectant and detergent solutions. Exposure to human specimens
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to various practices, as needed.
Our Medical Assistants are central to the success of our Health Services team. Using your customer service, you will handle the flow of patients during clinic hours, while preparing our patient for examination by the provider.
This opportunity at Progressive in our Riverview, FL, office is 75% administrative, primarily working at the front desk, answering phones, scheduling patients, copying medical records and faxing reports. Approximately 25% of the time you will perform Clinic duties such as taking vital signs, EKGs, phlebotomy skills a plus, assisting medical providers as needed.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
Graduate of certified Medical Assistant School/Program with valid certificate from program.
Minimum of two years of prior Medical Assisting work experience preferably in an outpatient clinic setting.
Current BCLS certification.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Demonstrated success in a team environment.
Strong computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information.
Benefits & Perks:
As the fourth largest auto insurance company, Progressive offers the confidence and stability that comes with working for a growing, always evolving organization. As an employee, you will enjoy an inclusive environment that embraces strategic thinking, drive and passion. Progressive employees also benefit from:
Paid training, tuition assistance and career development.
Diverse, welcoming culture with Employee Resource Groups.
Wellness program with discounts & rewards.
Earning paid time off after first two weeks and the standard benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k).
Equal Opportunity Employer
Expanding fast- Looking for a dedicated
LifeWorks Wellness Center was founded in 1997. From the very beginning we wanted to create a healing center where people could get the best medical care possible in an environment where they would be treated like family. LifeWorks has become a place where the chronically ill person can get better, the well person can gain more youthfulness and the athlete can see soaring performance.
We love what we do and we get these results routinely every day because at Lifeworks, we fix people.
Our location: 301 Turner Street, Clearwater, Florida, 33756.
Are you interested in a career rather than just a job? Are you interested in learning about Alternative Medicine and working as a Medical Assistant to one of the top leading Alternative Medical doctors in the world?
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
An ability to learn and train in the field of Alternative Medicine. An ability to duplicate instructions and carry them out exactly and precisely. Being able to organize and follow through on steps that need to be done to ensure that they get completed. Understanding of medical terminology as well as an ability to read charts (or learn to read charts) and being able to exactly and precisely relay practitioner instructions to patients. Able to work in a fast paced environment and interested in learning and training. An ability to use computers and type well (computer literate). You will be answering emails from patients and calling patients so must be able to communicate well with patients.
This position requires an ability to: work in a fast-paced environment, type, organize, multitask, duplicate instructions, follow instructions, speak with patients, while training and taking on more of the functions & duties that the position entails.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE:
- Having worked in a Doctor’s Office for at least a year
- Some experience as an administrative assistant
- Medical Assistant training is a plus
- Great communication skills
- Compassion and patience in dealing with patients
- A strong ability to organize and follow through a task to completion
- Good duplication of instructions
- Ability to make sure that exact policies are followed with patients
- Precision and attention to details
- Great team spirit – we work hard together for our patients!
Depending on your experience and performance record, we offer $12.00 to $14.00 per hour with additional compensation based on performance/production once you have been with us for 6 months. You have the potential of earning more than any other such position offers.
This is a full-time position.
- Mon, Wed and Thurs: 8:45am- 5:00 pm
- Tuesday: 8:00am – 5:00pm
- Friday: 8:45 am- 4:00 pm
Please do not call the office as we do not process applications on the phone. Simply submit your application through the link provided below.
- Provides direct patient care within Mount Auburn Medical Associates protocols for medical assistants. 2. Assists nurses and providers in doing procedures per protocols. a.
Triages phone calls relating to patient care from patients, nursing home nurse practitioners, hospitals, other physician offices, labs, and pharmacies as requested by clinical coordinator. b. Administers injection per MAMA protocols. c. Performs EKG, PFT, suture removal, throat culture, urine culture, and cerumen removal. d.
Performs phlebotomy as necessary. Acts as back-up to phlebotomist when required. 3. Prepares medical records in advance for scheduled patients.
Where possible, does same for add-on patients. Updates records, e.g., applies allergy stickers to records. 4. Welcomes and brings patients from waiting room to exam rooms. 5.
Readies patients for providers' exams per protocols. 6. Does inventory and stocks unit's supply areas. At the end of the day, ensures that supplies are stocked for the start of the next day. 7.
Cleans exam rooms between each patient visit and at the end of the day. 8. Ensures that equipment in exam rooms is working each morning, e.g., otoscopes, blood pressure cuffs, etc. 9. Ensures that providers and patients move through the schedule efficiently and in a timely manner. 10.
Processes prescription refills, referral authorizations, and test results per unit protocols. 11. Cross trains in other practice functions, e.g., check-in, checkout, etc., to provide backup coverage. 12. Assists in a variety of functions in other clinical areas and Medical Records as time demands in own unit allow and at the direction of the clinical coordinator. 13.
Attends Mount Auburn Medical Associates all-staff meetings. 14. Provides excellent customer service to both external customers (e.g., patients, hospital staff, etc.) and internal customers (providers, medical records staff, business staff, other units' staff, etc.).
1.High school graduate. Minimum of one years experience as a medical assistant in a medical practice environment desirable. Certification as a medical assistant desirable. 2. Knowledge of medical terminology. 3. Knowledge of or ability to learn computer system. 4. Good communication skills.
This is a Casual, Grant-Funded position with an anticipated assignment length through June 30, 2021 and subject to renewal thereafter. JOB SUMMARY:
Under the direct supervision of a licensed care practitioner, provides and documents clinical care and associated tasks, as assigned. Collaborates with interdisciplinary team to ensure optimal care is provided in a quality environment to patients and families. Utilizes appropriate age and developmental approach in application of care.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma, GED or foreign equivalent One year of experience Current BLS Certification (American Heart Association) PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Two years of experience Advanced knowledge of medical terminology; experience with data entry and clinical computer systems Pediatric experience in inpatient, outpatient or long-term care setting Bilingual English/Spanish
HR Use Only:
Click Here to Apply Online
Current Employees Click Here to Apply Online
Send this job to a friend
External Application Confirm
Are you sure you want to continue as a EXTERNAL applicant?
Internal Application Confirm
Are you sure you want to continue as a INTERNAL Rady Children's Hospital applicant?
Category: Patient Care Svcs(Tech & Asst)
Location: East Valley
Posting #: 382730
Date Posted: 3/8/2018
Employee Type: Regular
This position works under the direction of a licensed health care professional and performs various clinical and administrative tasks for the assigned area.
Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
As directed by a physician, performs or assists with procedures such as electrocardiogram, pulmonary function, suture and staple removal, dressing changes, and others.
Collects laboratory specimens (including blood specimens), performs point of care testing, and disposes of bio-hazardous materials.
Demonstrates infection control standards related to hand washing and standard precautions.
Prepares and administers medications, communicates telephone prescriptions to pharmacies, and processes medication refills as directed by a physician.
Prepares and instructs patients about examinations, diagnostic tests, medications, special diets, and health maintenance.
Records and communicates patient related information, including vital signs, growth parameters, medical histories, signs, and symptoms, to the physician or licensed health care provider.
Removes sutures and changes dressings.
Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
REPORTS TO: Practice Manager
Choices Family Medical Clinics is an affiliate of Physicians Health Care Organization
The goals of the highly coordinated team of health professionals in each PHCO Clinic site are to improve members’ health and wellness, improve access to care, utilize medicine and technology to enhance the member and provider experience, and improve the satisfaction of members, providers, and staff.
PHCO is seeking an experienced, certified Medical Assistant to provide excellent, personalized customer service to patients. Primary responsibilities include greeting, in-taking and triaging patients, assisting patients with Health Risk Assessment completion, and scheduling patient appointments via e-mail and phone. The Medical Assistant also provides limited health coaching and population management for improved patient outcomes.
· Answer in-coming patient calls and use basic medical reasoning to triage patient inquiries
· Schedule patients for appropriate appointments
· Welcome patients, sign them in for appointments
· Prepare patients for health care visit, assisting with Health Risk Assessment forms where necessary, verifies patient information, obtains medical history
· Take vital signs and performs all ancillary tests appropriate to skill level, certifications and state regulations
· Perform ancillary testing and tasks as ordered by the Center Medical Director (PFT, EKG, injections, audiograms, blood draws) and as certified
· Assist providers with patient preparation for examination and with the examination and education of patients
· Dispense medications and appliances within scope of practice and as ordered by the treating provider and in accordance with state regulations
· Under physician supervision, prepare and administer oral drugs and injections
· Refill prescription medications for patients after physician approval and documentation
· Completes requisitions for tests (if applicable)
· Maintain log system and perform required patient follow-up, including but not limited to pap smears, Ph levels, HIV, mammograms, STD’s, etc.
· Document clinical related activities accurately in the medical record
· Maintain supplies, clean rooms and equipment, and stock rooms with required supplies
· Assist with maintenance of supply inventory system and ordering
· Assist the care team with limited health coaching of a specified patient panel for improved health outcomes utilizing motivational interviewing strategies; provide population management through the use of proactive outreach calls to patients through risk stratification tools
General Essential Job Functions
· Maintain safe, secure, and healthy work environment
· Conduct business in a service-oriented manner that is attentive, cooperative, sensitive, respectful and kind with dealing with patients, visitors, the public and all colleagues
· Assist in maintaining a neat, clean and orderly appearance in the lobby and overall center throughout the day
· Perform front office clerical duties such as answering telephones, check-in, check-out and record processing as requested by Practice Manager or Lead Physician
· Assist Practice Manager with business office functions, including day-end reconciliation, charge entry, bank deposits, etc.
· Attend centers staff meetings, including daily team huddles, as required
· Complete required certifications; become proficient in clinic systems and procedures, and maintain currency in all policies, practices and procedures
· Assist with clerical activities related to appointment scheduling and patient intake , data verification, office communications, and filing of patient records
· The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
o Ability to work in a fast-paced office environment
o Strong sensory skills, such as visual acuity, good hearing, and dexterity
o Ability to stand and sit for periods of time and to move constantly throughout the workday
o Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail
o Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones
o Ability to interact with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written Correspondence
o Ability to push, pull, lift, move, and/or carry up to 15 lbs
o This position is classified as having occupational exposure to blood and other infectious materials.
· Perform duties to achieve or exceed established service standards
· Perform other duties, as assigned
TECHNICAL & PROFESSIONAL SKILLS
· Excellent customer service skills
· Great attention to detail
· Basic knowledge of clinical procedures, medical anatomy and physiology
· Documentation skills
· Basic procedural skills such as blood draws, EKG/PFT testing
· Effective communication and interaction with employers, patients, providers and other colleagues
· Ability to use tact and diplomacy appropriate to situation
· Ability to interact and communicate with a variety of people, both on a one-on-one basis and in meetings and group presentations; must be able to relate to and work with ill, emotionally upset, and sometimes hostile people
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
· Ability to follow direction
· Ability to think logically in order to troubleshoot, analyze situations, and make appropriate decisions
· Ability to handle crisis situations while maintaining expected schedule of patient flow
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
· Personal and professional track record that demonstrates a commitment to the mission of PHCO
· A positive attitude – ability to work hard, have fun, and operate efficiently in a fast-paced, start-up work environment and in a highly complex and dynamic industry sector
· Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively on cross-functional teams
· Exhibits a high degree of patience and compassion toward patient population.
· Self-reliant, excellent problem solver, results oriented
· Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
· Commitment to professional development and teambuilding
· High school graduate or GED with training as a medical assistant
· Current Certified or Registered Medical Assistant – 5 years experience or 1 year in CMA supervisory role
· 2 years in a medical office or ambulatory setting
· Family Medicine / Primary Care experience preferred
· CPR Certification
· Excellent computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel
· Previous expertise in utilizing an Electronic Medical Record
· Valid driver’s license for travel to other Clinic sites for coverage contingencies
· While the position will be based at one of the Clinic sites, travel may be required to various sites.
· This job requires access to confidential and sensitive information, requiring ongoing discretion and secure information management.
The HCA Physician Services Group (PSG) is the physician solution for the Hospital Corporation of America. PSG makes it easier for physicians to practice medicine by reducing the burdens of managing an independent practice and infusing the best clinical and operational standards in every office. With 13,000 employees that work in more than 790 practices across 21 states, PSG is leading the way by delivering high quality, cost effective health care in communities across the country.
We offer an excellent benefits package, competitive salary and growth opportunities. Join our team and share your skills and talents with the nation's largest private provider of healthcare services.
The Medical Assistant is a key member of the Physician Practice and provides clinical expertise to ensure all patients receive high quality, efficient care.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
Scheduling and canceling patient appointments
Checking-in and checking-out patients
Entering charges and payments
Answering the telephone
Verifying patient insurance and demographics
Collection of co-payments/coinsurance and personal balances
Performs selected administrative duties and assists nursing staff.
May collect patient specimens.
Takes patient histories and vital signs.
Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments.
Gives injections, and applies casts, splints, and dressings, as applicable.
Prepares and maintain supplies and equipment for treatments, including sterilization.
Assists physician in preparing for minor surgeries and physicals.
Practices certified as Patient Center Medical Home include these additional job duties:
Coordinates continuity of patient care with external healthcare organizations and facilities and referrals from the primary care provider to a specialty care provider.
Participates on a team for data collection, health outcomes reporting, audits and programmatic evaluation related to Patient Centered Medical Home.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: This position requires the following minimum requirements:
Knowledge of medical practice and care to assist in giving patient care.
Knowledge of examination, diagnostic, and treatment room procedures.
Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
Skill in assisting in a variety of treatments and medications as directed.
Skill in taking vital signs.
Skill in maintain records and recording test results.
Ability to maintain quality control standards.
Ability to interpret and apply guidelines and procedures.
One year of MA work experience OR possession of active and unrevoked RMA, CCMA, CMA, NCMA, or NCRMA certification/ABR-OE credentials is required. Medical Assistants who recently graduated from a Medical Assisting training program must obtain MA certification within 60 days of employment. Incumbents with one year of MA work experience who do not possess active and unrevoked MA certification/ABR-OE credentials must obtain MA certification/ABR-OE credentials within one year of employment.
One year of MA work experience OR possession of active and unrevoked RMA, CCMA, CMA, NCMA, or NCRMA certification/ABR-OE credentials is required. Medical Assistants who recently graduated from a Medical Assisting training program must obtain MA certification within 60 days of employment. Incumbents with one year of MA work experience who do not possess MA certification/ABR-OE credentials must obtain MA certification/ABR-OE credentials within one year of employment.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!