Paster Job Description Sample
Press Assistant Job Description
GENERAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION:
Shift Length: 8 hours
Hours: Can vary 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
The Washington Post
7171 Wimsatt Rd
Springfield, VA 22151
To prepare multi-unit web-fed rotary press to print newspapers according to specifications
To maintain press and keep in good working order
Marks up press
Spots plates and helps to re-plate
Plate up press. / Strip press
Checks folios in paper
Checks color dots to ensure correct order
Marks up chalk board or posts lists of re-plates
Helps pick up old plates and put in bin
Re-marks up press for days runs when required
Helps put sheet in if web breaks
Completes pre-run check lists and pre-sets
Helps check units and web catchers for wraps after web breaks
Gather webs as they come over the former (roll up trash during make ready) restriction?
Remove paper from end of the conveyor
Loads rolls for run
Makes paster pattern according to TWP specs on all rolls, checking all rolls for damage
Fills out and maintains reel reports for entire run
Checks all infeed rollers and reel tension on running rolls
Correctly positions black tape on rolls and sets paste pattern position sensor knob (commutator) for each paster
Make sure all rolls are in running position
Make sure ARL is in auto position
Set manual tension and floater roller
Monitor floating rollers on reels
Check and adjust cocking rollers as needed
Helps others as needed
Machinery, Tools, Equipment, and Work Aides Utilized:
JOB SITE ENVIRONMENT:
Inside I 00%
Continual, must utilize hearing protection devices
Air Quality Factors:
Dusts, odors. Mists
Face masks are provided for use by employees
A-par system minimizes ink mist and paper dust
Relationships with Coworkers:
Works with a select team
Primary Work Position:
Bend - frequently
Twist/rotate – frequently
Push/pull – occasionally, 30 pounds
Reach - occasionally
Work with arms extended – frequently
Work with arms bent – frequently
Carry – occasionally, 30 pounds
Push – occasionally
Lift from floor to waist – frequently, 30 pounds (ink buckets)
Gross dexterity – frequent
Finger dexterity – frequent
Grasp/Manipulation – constant
Speed required – frequent
Bilateral coordination frequent
Eye/Hand coordination - frequent
Press Operator I
Press Operator I
Gannett Publishing Services
Bergen Rockaway, NJ
The Bergen Record is looking for a full-time Press Operator to assist with daily production. The work includes preparing the presses for production, operating the presses or any of their components, cleaning the presses and the pressroom, maintaining the mechanical readiness of the presses, and other duties as assigned. Every member of the pressroom staff constantly strives to achieve the following goals, and the contribution of every press operator is necessary for success:
Optimum quality of printed products.
Observance of all scheduled start and stop times.
Conservation of material resources, especially newsprint.
A clean and safe working environment.
This position requires a high school education or equivalent. Experience in web offset printing is desirable, although production experience of any kind may be helpful.
Mechanical ability and familiarity with computers is preferred. Candidates should have the ability to adapt to change, prioritize work, handle multiple tasks, remain flexible and interact with people while demonstrating patience. You must be able to lift/carry up to 100 pounds.
Must be able to push/pull up to 2000 pounds. A press operator spends most working hours on his/her feet. In addition to long periods of standing, a press operator is required to climb stairs on the six-level press structure.
Operators engaged in press maintenance and some cleaning activities will be required to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. They often work in confined areas.
Color vision is required.
Request, deliver & stage newsprint rolls, set-up reels, prepare approved paste patterns for all roll sizes, use web kites / devices as applicable, monitor automatic pasters and/or make hand pasters assist with reel room reports as required. Unit make-ready: Check & prepare units for operation, spot plates, ink make-ready, web-up.
This position is full-time shift work, which may include scheduled nights, weekends, and holidays.
Pressroom Employee B
Success Factors for this Position:
● The work of a press employee requires the employee to be awake and attentive.
● The workday runs from early night into early AM with an off the shift not later than 4 AM. This is a 365 day a year operation. Employees will be required to work holidays and weekends.
● Employees have the responsibility to perform their everyday work functions under strict deadlines. It is a fast-moving, pressure-filled atmosphere at press start time.
● Employees are required to function in a team atmosphere.
● An employee needs to be alert and have full concentration to perform this and other jobs in a safe measured manner without endangering oneself or another.
● At startup salable copies are produced with minimal errors and waste; color registration is within acceptable standards; water and ink balance and ink densities are maintained throughout production runs.
● All press components are properly set up, aligned, and all switches and counters are in their proper positions, press folder is in proper mode (straight or collect) , all folder components are preset, all webs are associated at the folder in proper sequence and on their assigned compensators to ensure consistent start up and run completions within agreed to deadlines and acceptable printed waste (2.5%).
● Checking throughout production run that color and black print qualities are at acceptable levels.
● Making proper running adjustments quickly and understand reactions to these changes on the running press to minimize waste or assist primary operator.
● All predetermined deadlines are met, all components in the department are checked for quality during production runs, and all required forms are filled out properly.
● Pasters are made and completed to industry standard (98% success rate).On an occasional basis, assists the operator, ensures all press components are properly set up, aligned, and all switches and counters are in their proper positions to ensure consistent startups and run completions within agreed to deadlines.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!