Lock And Dam Operator
About the Position: As a Lock and Dam Operator/Trainee, you will operate lock/lock and dam gates, control valves, and other equipment required for a variety of private/commercial traffic through lock structure and/or maintenance of required pool levels.
The initial cut-off for referral consideration is October 23, 2018; applications received by this date will have the first opportunity for review. Applications received after this date will be considered as additional vacancies become available.
Learn more about this agency
* Handle bow or stern lines, walk lines in proper locations along the wall, and snub lines to assist pilot in maneuvering craft into position.
* Operate electric gate controls to open or close gates at one end of the lock chamber.
* Operate electrically controlled tow haulage unit to move barges into and out of lock chamber.
* Contact boat pilots to obtain data such as number of passengers, tonnage and commodities being transported, point of origin and destination, etc.
* Secure lines and slings to materials or equipment being moved and provide hand signals to operator for moving items to and from barges or trucks, or place bulkheads, etc.
* Perform a variety of tasks in providing assistance to and/or personally performing work required for the installation, repair, and maintenance of lock or lock and dam machinery and equipment of equipment of mechanical or electrical type.
* Perform carpentry or plumbing required for major construction or repair maintenance; concrete work, etc.
* Perform seasonal duties such as grass cutting, trimming, gardening; shoveling snow, clearing ice; as well as janitorial tasks such as cleaning control house and other site buildings, restrooms, facilities, standby equipment, etc.
* Job family (Series)
5426 Lock And Dam Operating
* Lock And Dam Operators
* Lock Operators
* Operators, Lock
* Operators, Lock And Dam
Conditions of Employment
* Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
* Testing Designated Position. This position meets criteria for random drug testing under the Department of the Army (DA) Drug-Free Federal Workplace Program.
* Mission Essential. This position is not subject to administrative dismissal in emergencies based on inclement weather conditions, or other emergency situations, as appropriate.
* Days of operations and typical daily schedules will vary based on site-specific work requirements. Work schedules and hours of operation are locally determined based on work requirements.
* May be required to have a valid state driver's license, based on job-related, site-specific requirements.
* May be required to wear a prescribed uniform, based on site-specific requirements.
* May be required to maintain an American Red Cross Standard First Aid card in good standing, based on site-specific requirements.
* Appropriate protective clothing and/or equipment will be provided to minimize or eliminate hazardous conditions, and its use is mandatory.
Period of Eligibility: Your application will remain active for three (3) months from the date it is received. Unless deactivated due to selection or lost consideration, your application will expire at the end of the 3-month period. Once expired, you must submit a new application package to receive further consideration.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
* Current Civilian Employees of the Organization
* Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
* Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
* Disabled Veteran w/ a Service-Connected Disability, More than 10%, Less than 30%
* Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
* Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentality (NAFI)
* Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer
* Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Interchange Agreement Eligible
* People with Disabilities, Schedule A
* Postal Service/Peace Corps and Other Unique Authorities
* Priority Placement Program (PPP), Program S (Military Spouse) registrant
* Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Positions advertised fall under the USACE Inland Marine Technology System (IMTS).
* Employees participate in a formalized training and development program for Lock and Dam Operators involving on-the-job training, classroom instruction, and related correspondence courses.
* Trainee positions afford the opportunity for career progression to the intermediate grade of WY-07; and final grade of WY-08 after successful completion of training and certification requirements.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Lock and Dam Operator without more than normal supervision. At a minimum, your level of experience must show that you have performed various simple maintenance or repair tasks utilizing mechanical or electrical equipment; and operated simple electrical or mechanical equipment such as: lawn mowers, hedge clippers, electric drills, power wrenches, and hydraulic lifts. - Failure to meet this Screen Out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
* Ability To Do The Work Of The position Without More Than Normal Supervision
* Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc.
* Dexterity and Safety
* Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
* Operation of Equipment and Machinery
Physical Effort: Eye and hand coordination for operating various controls and handling lines while observing traffic and personnel, during crane lifting operations, lifting dam gates, etc. There is standing, stooping, bending, occasional lifting in excess of 50 pounds, stretching, working in cramped positions, handling or maneuvering bulky items or equipment, and general continuous moderate to arduous physical activity.
Working Conditions: Preponderance of work is performed outside subject to extremes of temperature and weather, There is exposure of injuries associated with working in restricted areas (occasionally in cramped and/or uncomfortably hot or cold areas), from falling objects, from working with electrical power tools and wiring or other equipment, from working with normal manual tools, and from falls while working on lock walls, dam service bridge, etc. While possibility of drowning exists as result of falls while working around water, hazard is practically eliminated through observance of safety procedures and use of safety equipment. During maintenance operations is occasionally exposed to unpleasant fumes, dust, etc.
IMTS Lock and Dam Operator Training and Certification Program
* Newly-Appointed Lock and Dam Operators (LDOs) must successfully complete certification requirements before promotion to the full performance level may be effected.
* Certification is not a condition of employment. However, failing to meet certification requirements could result in adverse consequences.
* Certification is voluntary for Current LDOs. Although not required, current LDOs are encouraged to obtain certification as it may be helpful when seeking advancement through competitive or noncompetitive opportunities.
* IMTS-Certified LDOs must successfully complete refresher training, as required, to maintain certification.
POST JOBS FOR FREE