Project Director, Arena
IN OUR EXPERIENCED TEAM.
INEOS Styrolution is the leading, global styrenics supplier with a focus on styrene monomer, polystyrene, ABS Standard and styrenic specialties. With world-class production facilities and more than 85 years of experience, INEOS Styrolution helps its customers succeed by offering the best possible solution, designed to give them a competitive edge in their markets. The company provides styrenic applications for many everyday products across a broad range of industries, including Automotive, Electronics, Household, Construction, Healthcare, Packaging and Toys/Sports/Leisure. In 2018, sales were at 5.4 billion euros. INEOS Styrolution employs approximately 3,500 people and operates 20 production sites in ten countries.
For our office/site in Bayport we are looking for a
Project Director, ARENA (F/M)
Project Director – Project ARENA
Name of job holder:
Capital Projects - Americas
Signature job holder & date:
Signature hierarchical head & date:
Signature functional head & date:
Organizational structure in relation to the job holder: / Position in Hierarchy
The Project Director reports to the VP of Operations. This person also receives direction from the Project Steering team, usually consisting of the President of Operations, the President of the business, the VP of Operations, and the VP of the business.
Polymer Operations - Americas
A. Purpose/Role of the job: Describe in one phrase what contribution the job is expected to make to the organisation's objectives.
The Project Director has sole responsibility for the development, management, and execution of a large greenfield project within the Americas region
B. Environment/Context/Complexity of the job: Describe the most important internal and external factors influencing the job.
* Coordination between various internal stakeholders
* Communications up-and-down the organization including the Management Board
* Resource management
* Structuring and managing technical contributions of OEM suppliers / vendors
* Selection, management, and oversight of contract engineering companies
* Management, and execution of the project construction
C. Responsibilities/Accountabilities of the job: Describe the main results expected from the job.
* This position, and all positions within the INEOS Styrolution organization, requires that the incumbent commit to learning, following, and practicing INEOS 20 Principles of Process and Behavioural Safety as applicable to the position. These are posted within each INEOS Styrolution facility. Each employee must also commit to following INEOS' Life-Saving rules on a daily basis.
* The position is responsible for the overall execution and success of large greenfield/grassroots capital projects. This person has single-point responsibility for:
* Scope development and scope control
* Developing the execution strategy for the project
* Selecting and leading the project team
* Project planning
* Project budget through all phases
* Cost management
* Tracking and Communicating of project progress
* Delivering on the project objectives
* Overall project success
* This person also provides oversight and coordination of contract resources for a variety of activities.
* This position is responsible for the development, budgeting, and execution of a large capital project. This includes management of the project requests and backlog, coordination of resources to perform up front engineering and development of estimates, and contract negotiation and strategy for execution of those efforts.
* The Project Director also is responsible for all safety issues associated with contractors brought on site for the execution of the project. The position serves as job representative for contractors on site and handles job execution plans and any safety issues that arise while contractors are on site.
* The Project Director also has responsibility for the performance of process hazard analysis, updating of required drawings and records and final documentation of project changes. The position is also responsible for technical resolution of all resultant recommendations from major HAZOP studies and other safety reviews and audits.
* The Project Director is responsible for the strategy for maintenance and updating of the technical records including the establishment of new equipment files, the organization of relief valve specifications and calculations and the updating of training materials for the unit.
* The position is also accountable for managing any interfaces with other operating units on the chosen project site as required to share resources, understand tie-ins, permitting and ongoing interfaces post start up.
D. Dimensions: Describe the most representative figures of the job (for example: number of staff, budget the job holder is responsible for, number of projects ...).
Number or amount in €
Responsible for Project ARENA (FEL – EPC)
€130M (approx. $150M)
Initial Team size (FEL2)
4 Direct & 3 Indirect Employees
Responsible for a FEL2 budget of:
€1.6M (approx. $1.8M)
Supervision of staff: Give the number of people the job holder supervises ("Direct" means that they report directly to job holder, "Indirect" means they report to someone who reports to job holder).
E. Main contacts/Interfaces: What are the internal and external contacts the job holder has, necessary for reaching results?
Frequency of contacts
Role in those contacts 
Purpose of contacts
Provide updates and engage for decisions
Engineering and EPC Firms, Project Team
Direct and review to ensure project meets desired goals
Complete Stage Gates within scope and budget
Monthly updates and Steercos
F. Required profile:
Level of education & Knowledge:
* Bachelor degree in Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical, or Civil Engineering required; extensive experience in the same or similar role may substitute for the degree requirement
* 15+ Years project management experience required
* Large Capital (€100M+ / approx. $125M+) project experience required
Experience in general:
* Knowledge of engineering contracting and project execution contracting/strategy is a key tool for job execution.
* The position of Project Director interacts with the Operations to manage the prioritization of engineering activities supporting short and long-term unit improvements.
* Must have Capex Stage Gate process experience
* Project planning, cost control, job bidding, negotiating and contract execution.
* Knowledge of project budgeting and managing scope change during project execution.
* Management experience including knowledge of plant safety regulations and unit preparation procedures. This ensures that project plans integrate well with operations preparation associated with turnarounds/builds.
* Industry knowledge of chemical plant technical issues including metallurgy advances, new equipment options, and safety/accident prevention
* Trained in application of process safety management (PSM) and process hazard analysis, this is essential as this position manages the PSM system and responsible for resolution of safety recommendations for the unit.
* Contractor management and project development skills in combination with unit knowledge. This ensures that money is not wasted by performing engineering on projects that ultimately is not installed due to lack of justification.
Competencies, Behavioral skills: (acc. to competency profile and required level of descriptions)
G. Performance indicators: Describe the criteria allowing measurement of the extent results are achieved - related to the accountabilities.
* Ensure completion of FEL deliverables through the stage gate processes.
* Ensure appropriate development of the project scope to ensure project objectives are met
* Strategy development for progression of project, including leading-edge strategy for contract management
* Timely provision of relative information for periodic updates
Continuing development of project team through each stage
 R – Responsible for getting tasks done (in terms of practically doing things)
A – Accountable for the task (approver of costs)
C – Consulted for the task
I – Informed about the task
If you have any question, please contact 1-281-474-1054.
INEOS Styrolution America LLC – Bayport, 12222 Port Road, Pasadena, TX 77507
POST JOBS FOR FREE