System Administrator Job Description Sample
|Location:||On client site in Laurel, MD|
|Clearance:||TS/SCI with FS Poly|
Lunarline is looking for a Unix Systems Administrator who has experience administering user accounts, performing server subsystem configuration, network management, installation of software, performing backups, configuration management and general system maintenance and an understanding of fundamental networking and distributed computing environment concepts.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong customer service, organizational skills, preferred knowledge of applicable Government policies and procedures.
- Ability to write simple Shell scripts.
- Strong Linux administration and virtualization skills to include:
- OS Builds
- Linux and VM environment (VMware)
- Kick-start server configuration and implementation
- Scripting experience to include Perl and Python
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
- The following certifications (more than one is required): IAT Category, Level II
- The following certifications (more than one is preferred): Lunarline, Inc. School of Cybersecurity “Certified Expert” certifications.
Reports To: IT Manager
Location: Lombard, IL, USA
Travel Required: 10-20%
- Provide technical assistance to computer system users.
- Answer questions or resolve computer problems for clients in person, via telephone or from remote location.
- May provide assistance concerning the use of computer hardware and software, including
- Ability to lift 20lbs.
- Keep current with new Information Technology Security protocols, Operating Systems and core production server applications
- Perform basic systems security administration functions, including creating customer profiles and accounts
- Monitor and manages system resources, including CPU usage, disk usage, and response times to maintain operating efficiency
- Write or modify basic scripts to resolve performance problems and automate systems administration tasks
- Perform or assist in troubleshooting and diagnosing production problems; corrects identified problems
printing, installation, word processing, electronic mail, and operating systems.
- Maintain system efficiency.
- Ensure design of system allows all components to work properly together.
- Troubleshoot problems reported by users.
- Make recommendations for future upgrades.
- Maintain network and system security.
- Analyze and isolate issues.
- Monitor servers to ensure security and availability to specific users.
- Evaluate and modify system's performance.
- Identify user needs and system needs.
- Maintain integrity of the network, server deployment, and security.
- Ensure network connectivity throughout a company's LAN/WAN infrastructure is on par with technical considerations.
- Assign configuration of authentication and authorization of directory services.
- Maintain network facilities in individual machines, such as drivers and settings of personal computers as well as printers.
- Administer servers, desktop computers, printers, routers, switches, firewalls, phones, personal digital assistants, smartphones, software deployment, security updates and patches.
- Operate master consoles in order to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Perform routine server startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Diagnose hardware and software problems, and replace defective components.
- Confer with network users about how to solve existing system problems.
- Train people in computer system use.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience in related field, and 3+ years of I.T. experience
BCBS Health, Dental, Vision, 401K, PTO, Career Development & Training, Growth
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
- Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
- Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
- Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!