Head Chef - Valdez, AK.
Built on a culture of safety and integrity, NMS delivers award-winning support services to a variety of clients every day. Our clients have peace of mind, knowing that we are committed to delivering best-in-class service. NMS brings creativity, technology and experience to every project.
The primary responsibility of the Chef is to cook and manage assigned kitchen staff by ensuring a positive and safe working environment, as well as ensure all assigned staff receives the appropriate training, guidance, and leadership in order to effectively perform their jobs and deliver quality services. All duties are to be performed in accordance with NMS' mission, vision, and values as well as departmental policies, practices, and procedures.
This is the Head Chef position at the terminal in Valdez, AK. on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. This is not a rotational schedule, the position is based in Valdez, AK.
* Selects and develops recipes based on type of food to be prepared and applying personal knowledge and experience in food preparation.
* Cooks or otherwise prepares food according to recipe.
* Prepares, cooks, and serves meats, sauces, vegetables, soups, and other foods.
* Carves meats.
* Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas
* Maintains excellent client and employee communications and relations to continuously improve the quality of provided services, resolve problems, & facilitate the acceptance & implementation of services.
* Adhere to NMS safety policies, practices and procedures.
* Maintains liaison with safety personnel on various NMS safety policies, practices and procedures to assure information exchange, mutual assistance and an enhanced positive safety culture.
* Instructs, provides guidance and training to assigned staff regarding NMS safety policies, practices and procedures, utilizing proactive methods.
* Enforces penalties for infractions of NMS safety policies, practices and procedures.
* Actively participates in behavior and commitment based safety program and supports NMS safety goals by planning, implementing, and coordinating policies, practices and procedures to reduce or eliminate occupational injuries, illnesses, deaths, and property damage.
* Coordinates safety activities of assigned staff and conducts multiple safety meetings to ensure daily operations are in compliance with company and client safety requirements.
* Disseminates information to assigned staff, other housekeeping and departmental locations regarding workplace hazards and or other safety information.
* Monitors, records and provides documentation on safety related issues in the workplace.
* Identifies, appraises, resolves, and / or appropriately reports conditions which could produce injuries, illnesses, and property damage.
* May assist in investigation of accidents or incidents.
* Estimates food consumption based upon current campus population and requisitions foodstuffs and supplies accordingly.
* Receives and examines foodstuffs and supplies to ensure quality and quantity meet established standards and specifications.
* Create, maintain and provide documentation in the areas of accounting, payroll, safety, personnel matters, coaching, and disciplinary actions that are clear and prepared neatly with attention to detail.
* Complete assigned scheduling, travel requests, billeting, supply orders, inventory and invoicing which is consistently accurate with no significant errors or omissions.
* Reviews reports, papers, and other records prepared by assigned staff for clarity, completeness, accuracy, and conformance with NMS policies, practices and procedures.
* Use of miscellaneous office machinery including: copier, fax, printer, scanner, multi-line phone, computer, 10-key adding machine, label makers, laminators, etc.
* Establishes quality standards and work procedures in accordance with NMS contractual obligations.
* Personally resolves minor maintenance or client emergencies as they occur or take steps to permanently address them.
* Regularly inspects food products, kitchen cleanliness, and various equipment to ensure NMS standards are consistently met.
In a safe, effective and cost efficient manner delegates authority and assigns responsibilities for up to 3 on-site assigned staff, directly engaged in preparing and cooking foods in a Cafeteria atmosphere.
* Demonstrates a cooperative, sincere and optimistic perception to workplace obstacles, which supports NMS' mission, vision and values as well as maintains a positive workplace environment.
* Continually strives to be trustworthy, self-aware, humble, caring, rational, and competent. Unselfishly aligns efforts and decisions with NMS mission, vision and values.
* Demonstrates commitment to diverse workforce by consistently enforcing policies and procedures while encouraging and modeling the use of facts, data, and objective analysis when making decisions.
* Demonstrates openness to conflicting opinions and or sensitive situations and understands when confidentiality is necessary.
Leadership Skills / Style:
* Achieves departmental objectives by giving priority attention to the needs of their assigned staff i.e. providing resources, training and tools to be successful.
* Emphasizes collaboration, trust, empathy and works to enhance the growth of assigned staff, increase teamwork and personal accountability.
* Gives appropriate feedback to assigned staff regarding their accomplishments and achievements.
* Encourages excellence in safety, performance, quality of service, and innovation.
* Provides professional and appropriate communication to staff, residents, clients, and customers to include: words, comments, gestures, proper tone of voice, body language, facial expressions, etc.
* Clearly communicates NMS performance standards and expectations verbally and in writing.
* Listens thoroughly to concerns of others while not personalizing business issues.
* Welcomes positive or negative feedback from others and is responsive to constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement.
* Assesses and provides formal and informal personnel performance evaluations directly and appropriately while giving constructive feedback to assigned staff.
Interpersonal Skills / Team Building:
* Promotes NMS Core Values in the workplace.
* Interacts positively with others by being open to and respectful of others' perceptions, ideas, backgrounds and communication methods while setting aside individual agendas, biases and opinions.
* Coordinates work activities of staff with other units, departments, or areas to ensure safe interdepartmental workflow or to improve services to client.
* Uses time, materials, and resources effectively to support team dynamics and increase team results.
* Trains new staff and provides ongoing training to existing staff.
* Assist staff in the resolution of work related difficulties.
* Makes appropriate judgments and/or decisions and knows when to consult supervisor.
* May perform all actual duties of assigned staff to cover unusual circumstances.
Other duties pertinent to the department's success may also be assigned.
* High School diploma or GED equivalent, supplemented by formal training, or additional equivalent experience.
* ServSafe Certification or Alaska Food Workers Card; or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire.
* Working knowledge of food preparation processes, knife skills and small wares equipment
* Working knowledge of weights and measures and various cooking techniques
* Working knowledge of health, safety and sanitation procedures
* Successful training and management of staff.
* Successful employment in the service industry.
* Successful participation in a corporate safety program.
* Proficiency operating Microsoft office programs and various standard office machinery.
* The ability to work a non rotating week to week shift, typically Monday thru Friday.
* The ability to work strenuous 8 hour days for a minimum of 5 consecutive days.
* The ability to tolerate exposure to cleaning chemicals and solutions.
* Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with clients and co-workers.
* Successful supervisory candidate must have a valid Driver's License and an acceptable driving record for the past 3 years to be eligible under NMS' vehicle insurance policy
* Five (5) years verifiable supervisory employment in an industrial, preferably high volume kitchen environment which demonstrates performance of moderate to intense physical labor.
* Associates Degree in Culinary Arts or recognized formal certified training program from a National Association.
Background position ranking skill levels:
Language skills sufficient to: 1. Read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. 2. Write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. 3. Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. 4. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Math skills sufficient to: calculate figures, and amounts such as discounts, interests, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
Reasoning abilities sufficient to: 1. Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. 2. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. 3. Work in an organized and effective manner with co-workers and supervisors.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Applicants must be able to pass the following physical assessment:
* Lift: Lift 50 lbs from floor to knuckle x 2
* Lift: Lift 50 lbs from floor to waist x 2
* Lift: Lift 50 lbs from floor to shoulders x 2
* Lift: Lift 30 lbs from floor to crown level x 2
* Carry: Carry 20 lbs with two hands for a minimum distance of 20 feet
* Push: push horizontally with a peak force of 50 f-lbs with two hands
* Stoop & Twist: Perform alternate cross over toe touches x 5 each side, self-paced, continuous
* Squat Test: Functionally squat x 5, self-paced but continuous
* Kneel: Kneel on one knee and stand. Return to kneel on opposite knee. Repeat alternate kneeling sequence x 5 for each knee, self-paced but continuous
* Stairs: Climb up and down 10 steps x 4 for a total of 40 steps, self-paced but continuous
* Stairs and Carry: Climb up and down 10 steps x 2 for a total of 20 steps while carrying 30 lbs in one hand and using the other hand to grasp a railing for safety, self-paced
* Allow a 30 second rest period after climbing up and down 10 steps while carrying
Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision and may require those abilities to safely operate a vehicle. Successful candidate must have the physical stamina to work multiple hours in a day, for extended periods of time. The noise level in certain industrial areas may be loud.
Fair Labor Standards Act Status: Non-Exempt/ Hourly
The above is not intended to list all possible essential functions or requirements as they are subject to change. The employer reserves the right to revise or change this description. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the above essential duties and meet the physical demands. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet these conditions.
APPLICANTS MUST PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG TEST, A POST OFFER PHYSICAL ASSESSMENT AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
NANA Shareholder Preference
POST JOBS FOR FREE